Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you wear the shirt?
Yes 15 25.00%
No 41 68.33%
Not sure 4 6.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 03:58 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,700,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I wonder how people would view the outcome in this scenario:

Martin walks up to Zimmerman and punches him in the nose.

Zimmerman falls to the ground.

Martin pounces on him and slams his head against the concrete.

Zimmerman is able to get enough space to draw his weapon. He fires a single shot.

The bullet strikes a six year old girl in the chest. She dies almost instantly.

Excluding the obvious fact that Martin would be alive to share his side of the story, would you feel that Zimmerman's use of his firearm was warranted under the circumstances? Or would you think he had committed a reckless act?
Would a reasonable person have believed that, given the circumstances, there was a substantial risk of injuring someone? I don't know what time of night the shooting happened but it'd be hard to get him on manslaughter for that if it was, say, 2AM when nobody is out.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:59 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,686,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheNameOfGod View Post
Zimmerman was using self defense against a violent thug under the influence of drugs.
I heard that Martin's autopsy showed no drugs involved, but I cannot confirm it. Might be something to look at first, before you make another statement like that.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:59 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,380,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
That photo on the left is not of him as a 12 year old. People just don't want to see him as the person below, they are dying to see him as the person flipping off the camera

He had a young looking face

Looks like a 17 year old to me..in this photo.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:00 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,916,023 times
Quote:
I wonder how people would view the outcome in this scenario:

Martin walks up to Zimmerman and punches him in the nose.

Zimmerman falls to the ground.

Martin pounces on him and slams his head against the concrete.

Zimmerman is able to get enough space to draw his weapon. He fires a single shot.

The bullet strikes a six year old girl in the chest. She dies almost instantly.

Excluding the obvious fact that Martin would be alive to share his side of the story, would you feel that Zimmerman's use of his firearm was warranted under the circumstances? Or would you think he had committed a reckless act?
It's a slippery slope that gun laws present... The SYG law in particular.

When is it OK to use deadly force??? When the guy is on top of you bashing your head into the ground?? Yea IF you can draw it

If somebody pulls out? If somebody is shooting you???? Put the public in danger of a shootout...

Somebody breaks into your house??? If you don't have a witness how do you prove it was self defense....

The law is way too easy to exploit....

The problem is under the circumstances the law does apply if indeed Martin was assaulting him...The problem is the sponsors will never come out and stand behind it because they are scoundrels...

In general, let's say Martin got up and was retreating and Zimmerman pulled out.. whether he hit a 6 year old girl or Martin....that is not justified because he was no longer in danger.

Unless of course, he was going to attack him again.... but I digress.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Would a reasonable person have believed that, given the circumstances, there was a substantial risk of injuring someone? I don't know what time of night the shooting happened but it'd be hard to get him on manslaughter for that if it was, say, 2AM when nobody is out.
Considering that one witness said Zimmerman's head was pounded to the pavement a few times, while Martin was on top of him, beating him, yup, some personal injuries to Zimmerman may have taken place before he fired his gun.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:03 PM

32,119 posts, read 34,761,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheNameOfGod View Post
Zimmerman was using self defense against a violent thug under the influence of drugs.
If that's what you want to believe (you're obviously a troll so it doesn't matter what you believe). But the bottom line is that the use of lethal force is either justified under the circumstances or it's not. I think Martin's "character" needs to be completely removed from the equation so that the sole focus becomes the reasonableness of Zimmerman's actions.

Here's another hypo:

I'm a store owner. Some thugs break in to rob my place and I get beat up in the process.

On their way out, one of the thugs turns and raises a gun to shoot me. I know that death is imminent.

Little do these thugs know, I've planted a batch of C4 explosives under the door threshold. The C4 can be detonated by sending a signal from my cell phone.

I detonate the C4, killling the thugs, and two passerbys on the sidewalk in the process.

Manslaughter?

Old 03-27-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
It's a slippery slope that gun laws present... The SYG law in particular.

When is it OK to use deadly force??? When the guy is on top of you bashing your head into the ground?? Yea IF you can draw it

If somebody pulls out? If somebody is shooting you???? Put the public in danger of a shootout...

Somebody breaks into your house??? If you don't have a witness how do you prove it was self defense....

The law is way too easy to exploit....

The problem is under the circumstances the law does apply if indeed Martin was assaulting him...The problem is the sponsors will never come out and stand behind it because they are scoundrels...

In general, let's say Martin got up and was retreating and Zimmerman pulled out.. whether he hit a 6 year old girl or Martin....that is not justified because he was no longer in danger.

Unless of course, he was going to attack him again.... but I digress.
Do we even know where Martin was shot, at what range, what angle, and was he shot from behind or facing Zimmerman? When you get down to it, we don't know jack.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:04 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,671,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Looks like a 17 year old to me..in this photo.
looks just as old as the person holding the baby

you just want to see the one with the "Grill".

Old 03-27-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
If that's what you want to believe (you're obviously a troll so it doesn't matter what you believe). But the bottom line is that the use of lethal force is either justified under the circumstances or it's not. I think Martin's "character" needs to be completely removed from the equation so that the sole focus becomes the reasonableness of Zimmerman's actions.

Here's another hypo:

I'm a store owner. Some thugs break in to rob my place and I get beat up in the process.

On their way out, one of the thugs turns and raises a gun to shoot me. I know that death is imminent.

Little do these thugs know, I've planted a batch of C4 explosives under the door threshold. The C4 can be detonated by sending a signal from my cell phone.

I detonate the C4, kllling the thugs, and two passerbys on the sidewalk in the process.

Manslaughter?
Reckless Homicide Law & Legal Definition

Old 03-27-2012, 04:06 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,380,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
OMG! Someone was disciplined in high school?

Still missing the point. The media has been selling the image of an all American, baby face, 12 year old school boy who is part of the church choir. Meanwhile they have the other that looks like a mug shot in an orange suit.

I am not on either side of this because I know I don't have all the facts. I do know when I am being played.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies