Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 10:51 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,372,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
No I don't. And seeing as I live in California while you live in MA, I'm not really sure why you care or pretend to know anything...

You're in the bay dude, it's different out there. I never felt that way until I moved from Hayward to the valley. I've been here 8 years now, and every year it gets worse. Come out to the valley, anywhere from Stockton down to Bakersfield, and you'll see what it's really like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 11:13 PM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
You're in the bay dude, it's different out there. I never felt that way until I moved from Hayward to the valley. I've been here 8 years now, and every year it gets worse. Come out to the valley, anywhere from Stockton down to Bakersfield, and you'll see what it's really like.
Not a dude, and I haven't always lived/worked in the Bay... actually spent three years in Stockton itself, and currently work down in the agricultural valley (40+ miles from "the Bay"). The town where I work now is over 65% Hispanic, and I speak Spanish pretty much every day - but still don't feel like I'm in the slums, in fact it's rather nice down there. Got another explanation?

Old 03-27-2012, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
i dont think international tourists going to cancun are looking for "authentic" mexico, i think theyre looking for a standard beach party town. nothing wrong w cancun if thats what you want.
Pretty much, but the OP seems to think it's indicative of the entire country's attitude towards Americans.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:03 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times
Quote:
I've been to Cancun, and would completely agree with that! Of all the (many) towns in Mexico I've visited, it would probably rank at the bottom - even lower than Tijuana, since at least you'll find some "authenticity" there. Cancun, on the other hand, is basically just a tourist trap for dumb foreigners (mostly Americans) who are afraid to go anywhere else in Mexico.

For the record, I only went there because it was a stop on a cruise... we also went to Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, and a few other MUCH nicer places along the coast. I literally spent like 2-3 hours on land in Cancun, before deciding I'd have more fun staying on the boat all night.
Cancun was intentionally developed as a tourist destination. About forty (?) years ago, the Mexican government consulted a computer on the best location for such a development and the coordinates for Cancun were the result. It actually pre-dates this as a tiny fishing village, if I remember correctly. There is a strong resemblance between Cancun and Las Vegas in this way.

However, today it's actually a thriving city apart from the tourists, although they comprise the largest part of the economy. You won't find much of the "real Mexico" in the zona hotelera, but go into the city and you'll discover a vibrant (albeit new) Mexican city of several hundred thousand inhabitants.

I disagree on the hotels and resorts not improving the lot of the locals. I was told by a language instructor that one Mexican national makes $6,000 (in US dollars, not pesos) a month as a concierge because he is multilingual. You will find that many of the workers in the tourist industry come from far and abroad, and I remember seeing two men trying to collect money in Merida's central park so they could go to Cancun and find work. Although they might not live to American standards, the workers in the tourism sector are better off than other Mexican nationals. Cancun is a prosperous city and Quintana Roo a relatively prosperous state because of tourism.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:48 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Well, from speaking with Mexicans I met in that part of Mexico, Americans are loud and annoying. They were actually disappointed at first to learn that we were American, and not Europeans. But at least half came around to not hate us too much as they listened and sung along to American music and wore American fashions!
That's kind of the pot calling the kettle black isn't it?

At least the loud and annoying Americans aren't going there illegally and aren't having babies right and left to line up for their welfare handouts.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:58 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by to570717 View Post
Interesting how you lack the ability to recall history......Who did California belong to??? Just because of the lines n a map does not mean that lily white Europeans are any more entitled to it than the natural inhabitants.
Mexico stole California from Indians. Sir Francis Drake actually claimed California for England long before Cortez stole it from the Indians.

Anyhow what's your point? It doesn't seem that many Mexicans want to live in Mexico, they're fleeing their country by the millions.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:22 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,372,173 times
Quote:
Not a dude, and I haven't always lived/worked in the Bay... actually spent three years in Stockton itself, and currently work down in the agricultural valley (40+ miles from "the Bay"). The town where I work now is over 65% Hispanic, and I speak Spanish pretty much every day - but still don't feel like I'm in the slums, in fact it's rather nice down there. Got another explanation?
Yeah, you've embraced it. I won't. There are certain parts of the valley that are ok, other parts that look and feel like Tijuana. Different perceptions I guess.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:55 AM

1,410 posts, read 2,139,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by to570717 View Post
Interesting how you lack the ability to recall history......Who did California belong to??? Just because of the lines n a map does not mean that lily white Europeans are any more entitled to it than the natural inhabitants.
"Did", as in past tense!

Old 03-28-2012, 09:11 AM

1,410 posts, read 2,139,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
where are the tiny little women!
I guess they're so tiny they weren't visible to the naked eye...either that, or the fat guys sat on them and smushed them.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
Yeah, you've embraced it. I won't.
You can either embrace the inevitable and use it to your advantage (as I have), or pound your fists while complaining about things you can't change... which one of those attitudes do you think will get a person further in life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies