Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2012, 01:12 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,278,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
I think it might be because person died from a gunshot and they need to determine the state of mind of the shooter. Was his judgement clouded by drugs or alcohol?
Many people on drugs and alcohol imagine things are happening that are not. Thus the legal need to determine the state of mind of an individual. Same thing as getting checked at the scene of a fatal car accident.
Yes. However, the laws are very specific. You CANNOT just take a blood test from someone without some sort of reasonable suspicion (even if you are the "police"). Was there a suspicion Zimmerman was under the influence? Then, you would have to get a court order or search warrant, FORCING Zimmerman to give up his blood (unless he consents).

Hours would go by, just preparing the court order and, based upon the facts you couldn't even charge the case, the chances of getting the order were very slim.

A traffic accident is totally different and no, you can't force a chemical test from someone, even at the scene of a traffic accident, without reasonable suspicion they were driving under the influence.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:13 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,536,797 times
Why is so important to some on here that zimmerman gets away with this crime?

Old 04-02-2012, 01:13 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,396,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
No you did not misread this statement.
Wow.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:14 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,950,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Why should they have given him a drug/alcohol test? What authority do they have to force him to take a test?
If you are stopped simply because you are driving down the street, the police can make you take an alcohol test.

I'm honestly not trying to insult you, but do you live in the United States or are you past the age of 15? This wasn't just a speeding ticket or a stop for erratic driving, it was a shooting. Taking a drug and alcohol test after any shooting is standard police procedure, even in cases of self defense. I'm not sure about Florida Law, but in many states, even "real" police officers are required to take blood alcohol tests after a shooting. Some require testing for steroids, which might cause a person to become violent.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
If you are stopped simply because you are driving down the street, the police can make you take an alcohol test.

I'm honestly not trying to insult you, but do you live in the United States or are you past the age of 15? This wasn't just a speeding ticket or a stop for erratic driving, it was a shooting. Taking a drug and alcohol test after any shooting is standard police procedure, even in cases of self defense. I'm not sure about Florida Law, but in many states, even "real" police officers are required to take blood alcohol tests after a shooting.
If you are seen by medical personnel in 'polic custody' a tox screen is sent. Guess what? Your permission is not asked for this.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:17 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,331,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin Rick View Post
This case is basically over as far as the criminal justice system is concerned. If they had something to prosecute, charges would have been brought by now by either the FBI/DOJ for civil rights violations or by the state of Florida for murder/manslaughter. They have had many days to go over whatever evidence exist and to speak to any and all people involved. If there was going to be an arrest, one would have been made by now.

Evidence has been witheld and tampered with, eye witnesses have been caught in lies the police have been backpeddling as well as attempting to coverup a possible homocide and not to mention a DA whose relationship with zimmerman's father is questionable at least. It is no wonder why he is not arrested! If the arresting homocide det had reason to charge him that should have been good enough, and all of this would not have taken place.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Evidence has been witheld and tampered with, eye witnesses have been caught in lies the police have been backpeddling as well as attempting to coverup a possible homocide and not to mention a DA whose relationship with zimmerman's father is questionable at least. It is no wonder why he is not arrested! If the arresting homocide det had reason to charge him that should have been good enough, and all of this would not have taken place.
C L * S T * R F * C K

Wanna buy a vowel?

Old 04-02-2012, 01:21 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,278,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
Why is so important to some on here that zimmerman gets away with this crime?
I don't want him or anyone else to get away with anything. What I do want is the criminal justice system to take its course. People are screaming for blood, based upon mostly erroneous information and/or information which is flawed.

I deal with this everyday in the criminal justice system. You look at a set of facts and think, "Slam dunk." Well, if you took a minute, stepped back, and took your emotions out of it, it isn't a slam dunk. If you knew ANYTHING about the criminal justice system, you would realize and understand exactly what was going on.

You only read the newspapers and see news reports on TV. That DOES NOT tell the whole story. In fact, you are only getting about 5% of what is occurring and again, are totally ignorant to what is going on behind the scenes.

You have probable cause to make the arrest or you don't. In this case, the probable cause was not there. The district attorney told the police not to arrest Zimmerman and conduct a more thorough investigation. Zimmerman is not a flight risk. Therefore, it is better, under this set of circumstances, to conduct the investigation and present the facts to the district attorney or grand jury.

Remember, when you charge Zimmerman, every drop of evidence you have, MUST be turned over to the defense. Giving them months, years, etc to prepare and refute your case. Let the grand jury decide, he is in trial in months, not giving up all the information you have. Its a big huge chess game and unless you've played it, you have no clue what you are talking about.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:24 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,950,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
I'm sorry, you're implying that it's ok to kill a boy because he has removable gold teeth and 'looks' like a thug?

Or did I misread your statement?
No, you didn't misread her statement. Go back and read some of her other posts on City-Data.

By the way, some people are saying "Zimmerman didn't even know he was Black" referring to the 911 tape where he's asked about race and he answers "I think he's Black." This is to prove it isn't about race. Then they're saying Trayvon looked like a thug and was sporting some gold teeth. So did he see him or not? In fact, on the tape he says "he's staring right at me" but he doesn't know what his race is? As I've mentioned before, if you listen to the 911 tape a few times, it is very strange.

I'm not really sure what a thug looks like. I wore beads in my hair when I was a teenager and sometimes put on a Beatle wig. You should have seen the looks this White kid from the burbs got back then.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:25 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,536,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
I don't want him or anyone else to get away with anything. What I do want is the criminal justice system to take its course. People are screaming for blood, based upon mostly erroneous information and/or information which is flawed.

I deal with this everyday in the criminal justice system. You look at a set of facts and think, "Slam dunk." Well, if you took a minute, stepped back, and took your emotions out of it, it isn't a slam dunk. If you knew ANYTHING about the criminal justice system, you would realize and understand exactly what was going on.

You only read the newspapers and see news reports on TV. That DOES NOT tell the whole story. In fact, you are only getting about 5% of what is occurring and again, are totally ignorant to what is going on behind the scenes.

You have probable cause to make the arrest or you don't. In this case, the probable cause was not there. The district attorney told the police not to arrest Zimmerman and conduct a more thorough investigation. Zimmerman is not a flight risk. Therefore, it is better, under this set of circumstances, to conduct the investigation and present the facts to the district attorney or grand jury.

Remember, when you charge Zimmerman, every drop of evidence you have, MUST be turned over to the defense. Giving them months, years, etc to prepare and refute your case. Let the grand jury decide, he is in trial in months, not giving up all the information you have. Its a big huge chess game and unless you've played it, you have no clue what you are talking about.
So this great prosecutor that let him walk is so smart right? I wonder would he/she been so patient if Trayvon was the killer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies