Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2012, 02:20 AM

592 posts, read 414,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Again, you haven't been well informed. That's exactly what they are doing. The reason Zimmerman was not charged is that State Attorney Wolfinger said that self defense could be used because of Florida's "Stand Your Ground" law. However, even Jeb Bush, the governor who signed the bill into law in 2005, said "Stand Your Ground" is an invalid defense in this case. Wolfinger has removed himself from the case and the law is now being studied.

If you believe that citizens do not have a right to protest a law or question an agency like the police or even the state attorney's office, then you do not believe in Democracy, which has nothing to do with color, only freedom & justice.

Now, I need to get to sleep.
It's not civil disobedience. Not obeying a law is civil disobedience.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:38 AM

592 posts, read 414,603 times
I believe Zimmerman was wrong. Possibly not charging him was wrong. I also believe there was an altercation. Who started it, I don't know. But I do know kids are being trained in violence. That's all they see; they think it makes them a man. So I can not discount Zimmerman's story. If it was self defense, I guess I have to agree with the state attorney.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:24 AM

566 posts, read 958,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbo31 View Post
And the plot thickens.......

Solution:

1. Charge Zimmerman with manslaughter
2. Subpoena all of these "witnesses" --make them testify under oath
3. Introduce all of the DNA and forensic evidence
4. Let an impartial jury of his peers decide his fate
No, charge Zimmerman with 1st degree murder and let a jury decide whether or not he committed one of 1st degree murder, 2nd degree murder, or voluntary manslaughter.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:56 AM

15,529 posts, read 10,499,357 times
I have no idea what happened. I do know that Zimmerman had an arrest record and that had Martin been an adult, he would have had one too. Neither one looks like an angel, perhaps we are all being duped. The media has gone bat chit crazy and is only adding to the confusion. This whole ordeal is one big cluster you know what. Now that it's being investigated, I trust that one way or the other, justice will be served.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:06 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,506,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Again, you haven't been well informed. That's exactly what they are doin*** The reason Zimmerman was not charged is that State Attorney Wolfinger said that self defense could be used because of Florida's "Stand Your Ground" law. However, even Jeb Bush, the governor who signed the bill into law in 2005, said "Stand Your Ground" is an invalid defense in this case. Wolfinger has removed himself from the case and the law is now being studied.

If you believe that citizens do not have a right to protest a law or question an agency like the police or even the state attorney's office, then you do not believe in Democracy, which has nothing to do with color, only freedom & justice.

Now, I need to get to sleep.
You can rely on Bush and the law's sponsors til h freezes over. Try learning for yourself how the law has been interpreted by real life judges---

"The men responsible for Florida's controversial "stand your ground'' law are certain about one thing: Because of his actions before he pulled the trigger and killed 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, George Zimmerman is not protected from criminal prosecution.

But they are wrong.

Since its passage in 2005, the "stand your ground'' law has protected people who have pursued another, initiated a confrontation and then used deadly force to defend themselves. Citing the law, judges have granted immunity to killers who put themselves in danger, so long as their pursuit was not criminal, so long as the person using force had a right to be there, and so long as he could convince the judge he was in fear of great danger or death."

http://http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/stand-your-ground-law-protects-those-who-go-far-beyond-that-point/1222930 (broken link)

Last edited by jazzarama; 04-02-2012 at 05:30 AM..

Old 04-02-2012, 06:10 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,910,529 times
The problem here is people STILL fall back on the "pursuit" argument to negate the SYG protection.

You cannot prove he pursued him to KILL him. At least not from the information we see here. If he pursued him with the intent to kill him, OK. What was he pursuing him for?

Surely, he wasn't pursuing him to see if he needed assistance...he already called 911 on the dude. But to say he pursued him with intent to kill is irresponsible. I tend to believe he was simply being nosey.

I DO believe he killed him out of rage due to getting his tail whipped by a 17 year old kid...who had a grown mans body BTW....So, I think if they can prove Trayvon beat the dude up BUT left it alone and got off of Zimmerman and posed no further threat and Zimmerman still blew him away.....probably murder 2 or manslaughter at the least.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:28 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,646,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
People conveniently glazed over the fact he was explicitly asked what he was and that even then Zimmerman was not sure....
Just like people conveniently glaze over the fact that Obama was specifically asked about his thoughts on this case at the end of a press conference; he didn't 'butt in' as you RW's so love to distort.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Just like people conveniently glaze over the fact that Obama was specifically asked about his thoughts on this case at the end of a press conference; he didn't 'butt in' as you RW's so love to distort.
I'm not a RW or a LW...

Also, I never commented on Obamas input.....so that doesn't apply to me.

BUTTTTT, since we are here. The "If I had a son, he would look like Trayvon Martin" comment was one of the stupidest things I have ever heard.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:34 AM

70 posts, read 43,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midatlantic12 View Post
No, charge Zimmerman with 1st degree murder and let a jury decide whether or not he committed one of 1st degree murder, 2nd degree murder, or voluntary manslaughter.

It does not work that way. If you go for 1st degree and fail to prove it then Zimmerman goes free. You don't get to go for a lessor charge. It is better to go for the lessor offense because the burden of proof is lower.

I don't think he should be charged with anything. This was self-defense.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:35 AM

Zimmerman should not be charged with 1st degree murder. That is just a fool and his emotions getting in the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.