Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 11:08 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,187,726 times

Advertisements

I think everyone in this country should be able to haul aboard the difference between a minority group and a historically ethnically-persecuted minority group. Just being fewer in number than other groups does not mean anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 11:33 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
I think everyone in this country should be able to haul aboard the difference between a minority group and a historically ethnically-persecuted minority group. Just being fewer in number than other groups does not mean anything.
Except that by being fewer in number, one is by definition a member of a minority group.

Other than that, I agree with you 100%.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:40 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyouhuskies View Post
Out of curiosity, I would like to poll the politics board on this question. It was posed to me about five years ago by a sociology professor I had at Northeastern University.

If you are a caucasian, how would you feel if caucasians were no longer the majority in America? Regardless of what minority overtook the caucasian race in terms of numbers, would you feel less secure, as secure, or more secure as a new minority in the US?
Wouldn't bother me at all. I'm not concerned that the Constitution or Bill of Rights would be ignored if another group was in the majority.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:04 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
I think it's a safe statement to say that no group, given the choice, "wants" to be a minority---whether that means racially, ideologically, religiously, or otherwise. As long as we perceive that their are "differences", obviously, by definition, that implies there's an "us" and a "them". And, if it's natural to feel that "we" have the more understanding, the more enlightened, the fairer, the more open-minded, and the "better" way of life, then, by inference, we're implying that "we" are treating "them" a lot better than "they" would treat us, if they "ever ended up in charge".

I can't think of a single instance anywhere on earth, of any kind of description, be it racial, political, gender, linguistic, philosophical, or religious variations, in which the "members" would not feel better if "everyone was more like us".

My point in all this is that I hope we will be able to realize that race and ethnicity should not be able to determine one's behavior. If ALL of us can accept that a free and open society is for the benefit of EVERYONE in it, we can make it work. But it's a tall order. Many people continue to believe that they must "Act white", or "act Black"---or "Be a loyal Hispanic"....or advocate some sort of "group rights" for certain groups, to the exclusion of others.

We can't have it both ways. And as long as there are competing "groups", then of course, NO one is going to want to be in the minority.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:08 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I think it's a safe statement to say that no group, given the choice, "wants" to be a minority---whether that means racially, ideologically, religiously, or otherwise. As long as we perceive that their are "differences", obviously, by definition, that implies there's an "us" and a "them". And, if it's natural to feel that "we" have the more understanding, the more enlightened, the fairer, the more open-minded, and the "better" way of life, then, by inference, we're implying that "we" are treating "them" a lot better than "they" would treat us, if they "ever ended up in charge".

I can't think of a single instance anywhere on earth, of any kind of description, be it racial, political, gender, linguistic, philosophical, or religious variations, in which the "members" would not feel better if "everyone was more like us".

My point in all this is that I hope we will be able to realize that race and ethnicity should not be able to determine one's behavior. If ALL of us can accept that a free and open society is for the benefit of EVERYONE in it, we can make it work. But it's a tall order. Many people continue to believe that they must "Act white", or "act Black"---or "Be a loyal Hispanic"....or advocate some sort of "group rights" for certain groups, to the exclusion of others.

We can't have it both ways. And as long as there are competing "groups", then of course, NO one is going to want to be in the minority.
What is "acting white"? I am honestly curious. I want to know if I've been doing it right all these years.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:14 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
What is "acting white"? I am honestly curious. I want to know if I've been doing it right all these years.
"Acting White" is acting like Clarence Thomas, or Colin Powell, or Larry Elder, or Thomas Sowell----it causes some criticism from the " 'hood".----it shoudn't, but it does. And it will continue to do so, as long as such styles of behavior are considered to be "acting white", rather than "acting educated".....

Old 09-13-2007, 12:43 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,678,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyouhuskies View Post
Out of curiosity, I would like to poll the politics board on this question. It was posed to me about five years ago by a sociology professor I had at Northeastern University.

If you are a Caucasian, how would you feel if Caucasians were no longer the majority in America? Regardless of what minority overtook the caucasian race in terms of numbers, would you feel less secure, as secure, or more secure as a new minority in the US?
I don't want to speculate how I'd feel living in a United States where I wasn't part of the majority population other to say I wouldn't like it. Our entire society would be turned on its head.

I will say this much though, over the last couple of decades I've lived in three neighborhoods where Caucasians were not the majority, and in all three neighborhoods violent crime and property crime were very high and common occurrences. Then when I moved back to a small town in Iowa (35,000 people) where whites were 95% of the population there was almost no crime. Perhaps there's an actual legit reason our jails and prisons are packed with minorities.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:06 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
According to many posters in this forum Caucasians are already being discriminated against and have it tougher than minorities. So it shouldn't change their attitudes at all.
I know right... lol

Old 09-13-2007, 02:30 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,469,347 times
As long as the majority is loyal to America I do not think it would matter. Unfortunately it seems the immigrants we have in the last 20 years have little loyalty to America.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:59 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
You're right, I'm sure it doesn't mean a thing to Israel being the minority in the middle east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies