Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 06:51 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,167,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Like the Irish?
And the Jews! But hey, we don't want to remember that many holocaust survivors and children of such were jailed in the 50's and 60's for being supporters of black freedom and equality...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 07:22 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
And the Jews! But hey, we don't want to remember that many holocaust survivors and children of such were jailed in the 50's and 60's for being supporters of black freedom and equality...
Two quick notes here:

#1: most Jewish people believe in bettering themselves and typically do not have a 'you owe me' attitude.

#2: note you stated: 'Black freedom and equality'--------not Affirmative Action which has probably hurt Blacks, etc. more than anything in the long run.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:38 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,167,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Two quick notes here:

#1: most Jewish people believe in bettering themselves and typically do not have a 'you owe me' attitude.

#2: note you stated: 'Black freedom and equality'--------not Affirmative Action which has probably hurt Blacks, etc. more than anything in the long run.
In addition, I'm Jewish (by blood) - and I was making reference to this post:

Quote:
I think everyone in this country should be able to haul aboard the difference between a minority group and a historically ethnically-persecuted minority group. Just being fewer in number than other groups does not mean anything.
You mentioned the Irish, I mentioned Jews. And yes, I agree with Affirmative Action having hurt more than help in recent years - IMHO, it's a slap in the face to every person who has pulled themselves from nothing upward on their own bootstraps.

Give a man a fish and he'll enjoy a nice dinner - teach him how to fish and he'll keep himself fed. Or something to that effect.

And in response to the OP, I would feel no different being a majority or minority.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:49 AM

93,269 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Default Thank you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
Nobody should care. It doesn't matter. Even if white people become a "minority" they/we'll likely still hold disproportionate amounts of the economic/political power for generations afterwards, anyway.
Considering that we live in a capitalist society and that money has to do a lot with politics as well, I don't think the population shift would change the power structure too much. That's if it even comes and if categorization does or doesn't change.

Let's not forget that pluralistically, Whites would still be the biggest group. All people of color aren't the same and have varied histories themselves.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:59 AM

1,083 posts, read 2,292,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
You are correct--Malcolm X was accused of many things, but no one, to my knowledge, ever accused him of "acting white".

BTW, during the Monica Lewinsky scandal, Bill Clinton was applauded as "America's First Black President".....go figure.
The reference to Bill Clinton being "America's First Black President" had nothing to do with Monica Lewinsky. The phrase caught on well before this time period. People started saying it after he appeared on Arsenio Hall playing the sax. Statements like what you made just flame racial divide.

Old 08-16-2008, 12:04 PM

1,242 posts, read 2,460,107 times
Whites as a minority would be a huge problem.

Old 08-16-2008, 12:41 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,554,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
Whites as a minority would be a huge problem.
But over the years, they'd be a smaller and smaller problem, wouldn't they?

Old 08-16-2008, 12:44 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,554,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim2007 View Post
Statements like what you made just flame racial divide.
Well, SOMEBODY'S got to 'flame' the racial divide, don't they? Otherwise, there may not BE a divide to 'flame' at ALL...then what?.....

Old 04-10-2010, 03:51 PM

46 posts, read 61,172 times
I just want to live in a nice neighborhood where people are decent, take care of their proprty, and don't turn up the Hi Fi so I can't take a nice afternoon nap. The non-white cultures tend to be obnixious it seems to me.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:59 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwtodd View Post
I just want to live in a nice neighborhood where people are decent, take care of their proprty, and don't turn up the Hi Fi so I can't take a nice afternoon nap. The non-white cultures tend to be obnixious it seems to me.
Blatant racism like this is pretty disgusting to me, glad you resurrected a thread that is over half a year old to call non-white cultures "obnoxious".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies