Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would you do with "the poor"?
Help them, provide assistance and do all we can to end poverty 59 50.43%
Nothing (leave them to sink or swim) 24 20.51%
Punish them for their so-called bad decision making 3 2.56%
Euthanise them or encourage euthanasia to people who have lost hope 7 5.98%
Other (explain) 24 20.51%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 08:30 PM

5,756 posts, read 3,999,109 times

Advertisements

We have infrastructure problems put them to work just like the CCC did Shawnee Forest wouldn't have
its horse trails,roads,lakes if not for the CCC program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 08:44 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,861,779 times
My acts for the poor is to not become one of them and do what I can to improve my abilities to hire others and raise them up as well. I can train others as to how to make money and expand their wealth.

Give the poor hand outs rarely does any good for anyone... remember the addage about teaching a man to fish vs buying them a fish?

No one with self respect wants a handout, but rather a helping hand. We as a society need to learn the difference.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:54 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
for those poor that are working hard to get ahead, help them in anyway legitimately possible. encourage them to move up from the position they are working now to a better paying job, etc. for those that game the system, make them prove they need what they claim they need or cut them off. sometimes you have to give some people a boot in the backside to make them get in the game and do for themselves.

for those that truly need the help due to disabilities, give them the help they need.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:57 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
The problem I see is that in comig years we will have less to help the poor with. I also think pverty should be better definited,Certainly Clinton foundation stats from governamnt that show that 20%of the country has 80% of the poverty and they get only 20% of all federal money goig to poverty programs says our aim is as he says political based to the extreme.That is why the Clinton'bush foundation has concluded we need to switch away from this to more privately control giving such as eve the Gate foundation has concluded also.With coming cuts that is the directio I see us goig to and elimianting fraud and getting help to those who need it.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:21 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Being poor in the USA with all the food stamps, Medicaid, WIC, free meals at school, Section 8 housing and much much more sure beats working for a living back home. Especially when it only requires having babies you cannot afford to be given more handouts than one could not even dream of back home.

Who can get Section 8? That's a crapshoot with long odds.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:40 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,783,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whateverhere View Post
Why can't we just deport all people that are on welfare? This country would be a lot wealthier.
Deport Americans?? Where do you suggest that these Americans get deported to?

Old 04-02-2012, 04:00 AM

266 posts, read 179,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Deport Americans?? Where do you suggest that these Americans get deported to?
Just deport them to Mexico. Hey, they flood this country with their scum, so lets just flood them with our scum.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
I wouldn't call a mother with three low paying jobs or a family living on below poverty income or a family who's bread winner is now unemployed yet they try to feed and clothe their loved ones people who do not want to help themselves..... why is it i hear more whining and whinging from the people who have got good jobs or have done well than i ever hear from the poor who have a much harder time than most in this Country.
I pay tax and yet i have no problem in having a proportion of my earnings go towards the welfare of those less fortunate than myself ... but hey i'm a Brit who is now a American Citizen and having fairness and concern for others seems to be a British thing but NOT a American thing anymore........... bit disgusting that I am more Patriotic and caring to my poorer fellow Americans than you are..............
LOL Are you serious? From what I hear (plenty of Brit expats where I'm living) and read Brits (not immigrants) are pretty tired of the welfare state it's becoming, similar to the US. Especially the ease the commit welfare fraud.

Maybe you have been away too long. March 6, 2012 article in the Daily Mail:

[SIZE=5]
Quote:
[SIZE=5]According to a YouGov poll for Prospect magazine, a staggering 74 per cent of us think that the Government should slash benefits. Young and old, Labour and Tory, rich and poor: every single social group believes it is time to cut back.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=5]As the pollster Peter Kellner points out, such public unanimity is almost unprecedented. And what’s more, 69 per cent believe our welfare system has ‘created a culture of dependency’, and that ‘people should take more responsibility for their lives and families’.[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Read more:Why Britain's fallen out of love with the welfare state | Mail Online

The welfare programs for the poor created by Sir Willaim Beveridge and President Teddy Roosevelt had the same principles and pretty much mirrored each other. The initial intent of each is no longer apparent, as the programs were not meant to be a way of life, but temporary for people to get back on their feet. The initial intent for borth countries was the same, the current result in both countries is also the same. IMO, Britain has been and still is far more generous that the US had been or is today.

I believe it is America's duty to help those in genuine need. Go back to the original intent of the programs and/or write the massive welfare reforms that are needed. Those who are working and find it hard to make ends meet are deserving, those able to work should be made to work, even if it's part-time to contribute to their wellbeing, or learn a skill or get a degree. Those who are physically or mentally unable to provide for themselves are in genuine need.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whateverhere View Post
Just deport them to Mexico. Hey, they flood this country with their scum, so lets just flood them with our scum.
You are a fountain of knowledge, aren't you?

Old 04-02-2012, 04:30 AM

15,532 posts, read 10,504,683 times
I would " help poor people learn how to get a job, learn how to get a better job, and learn someday to own the job".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies