Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 06:06 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times

Advertisements

I paid $3.71 for regular gas (Shell) in Tennessee on Sunday or Monday and I just took a look at this article with a photo of a sign in Miami showing gas at $4.71 for regular there.

Gas numbers game is a loser for Obama - Washington Times

Why such a huge difference and why do you pay more for gas in a big city? Is it city taxes? Still, a dollar more than I pay? I don't live in a rural town but I don't live in a big city, either.

Have you seen the high price of gas impacting the prices of other things where you live? Is travel and tourism within the US going to take a big hit this summer where you live? Is President Obama going down in November for it? (Not asking if it's justified or not, just if you think the public will blame him when they vote.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 06:10 AM

45,237 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I paid $3.71 for regular gas (Shell) in Tennessee on Sunday or Monday and I just took a look at this article with a photo of a sign in Miami showing gas at $4.71 for regular there.

Why such a huge difference and why do you pay more for gas in a big city? Is it city taxes? Still, a dollar more than I pay? I don't live in a rural town but I don't live in a big city, either.

Have you seen the high price of gas impacting the prices of other things where you live? Is travel and tourism within the US going to take a big hit this summer where you live? Is President Obama going down in November for it? (Not asking if it's justified or not, just if you think the public will blame him when they vote.)
State and local taxes, variations in overhead per location and competition in a given market can all account for price differences.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:14 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,765,333 times
I do think it will have a big impact on this election. Production of electric cars is like putting the cart before the horse. If we really want to be able to reduce our demand on oil, we need to invest in expansive transit systems then we can push short range vehicles.
Whether or not the President controls gas prices is irrelevant. Perception is everything. If people think he does then he does and if prices keep up like this, expect it to be a talking point throughout the campaigns.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:28 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
State and local taxes, variations in overhead per location and competition in a given market can all account for price differences.
As far as the differences in gas prices around the country, I just found I asked that very same question one year ago (April 2011).

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...st-4-13-a.html

Sorry about that. But I still would like to know this from the original post:

"Have you seen the high price of gas impacting the prices of other things where you live? Is travel and tourism within the US going to take a big hit this summer where you live? Is President Obama going down in November for it? (Not asking if it's justified or not, just if you think the public will blame him when they vote.) "

Old 04-05-2012, 06:30 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I do think it will have a big impact on this election. Production of electric cars is like putting the cart before the horse. If we really want to be able to reduce our demand on oil, we need to invest in expansive transit systems then we can push short range vehicles.
Whether or not the President controls gas prices is irrelevant. Perception is everything. If people think he does then he does and if prices keep up like this, expect it to be a talking point throughout the campaigns.

There are a lot of motorcycles and scooters in places with sky high fuel cost.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:58 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,765,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
There are a lot of motorcycles and scooters in places with sky high fuel cost.
Hey. That's not a bad idea. Too bad I can't afford to buy one or I would. Bet they're great on gas. Just not so much weather friendly.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:00 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,600,110 times
$4.71 is an outlier station with some odd reason for charging far more than average. I know of 1 in Summit NJ and 2 near Disney World that do the same thing.

gasbuddy.com

The average in Miami seems to be the highest in the state and hovers around $4.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:08 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,661,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

I also paid $3.71 for Mid-grade 2 days ago here in the South. As I am posting this, ABC GMA just flashed on TV screen....Food prices to go up this month for the 3rd straight month. - That's ALL from the rise in Gas prices.

But, who can tell what some fools will do at the polls? Look what they did in '08.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:12 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
The petroleum companies have the data collection and processing power to understand the economic capacity of each ZIP Code. They use this information to set prices at a level that will maximize profit without decreasing sales volume. They take note of the availability of alternate transportation means in their calculations. This information is available to all the companies through illegal collusion or just redundant processing so they all set their prices with a very small percentage of each other.

The results are obvious just by looking at prices. High wage places like SF or NYC have very high prices. Less wealthy places like backwoods Alabama have lower prices. Tourist traps like neat Disney world in FL have exceptional prices because they are selling to strangers and not the locals that know where to get cheaper gas.

The administration has nothing to do with gasoline pricing because it does not have the power to set the prices. It cannot even influence prices because the private petroleum system would just as well be rid of this president and put a captive businessman on the throne of American crony capitalism.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:14 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
there is definitely quite a price differential around the country. $3.71 sounds pretty good to me.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies