Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 07:14 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,346,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Hey. That's not a bad idea. Too bad I can't afford to buy one or I would. Bet they're great on gas. Just not so much weather friendly.
They're also very dangerous. I'd be kind of ticked off if I got hit by a truck on a motorcycle and ended up in a wheel chair for the rest of my life because of high gas prices. I used to ride but the huge number of morons on the road lead me to give it up many years ago....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 07:17 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
$4.71 is an outlier station with some odd reason for charging far more than average. I know of 1 in Summit NJ and 2 near Disney World that do the same thing.

gasbuddy.com

The average in Miami seems to be the highest in the state and hovers around $4.

Gas Stations near airports, are notoriously high priced, to get those returning rental cars with low fuel in the tank. Car rental places charge out the ass, for fuel, if you don't bring back a full tank of fuel.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:19 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,762,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
They're also very dangerous. I'd be kind of ticked off if I got hit by a truck on a motorcycle and ended up in a wheel chair for the rest of my life because of high gas prices. I used to ride but the huge number of morons on the road lead me to give it up many years ago....
And another good point. I witnessed a hit and run 2 years ago by a car hitting a bike and the passenger on back was hurt.
The car looked around to see if anyone was watching and floored it. It was disgusting.
Yes I stopped and helped and wrote down the plate number and description of the driver of the car.
Anyway I still wouldn't mind having one to save money.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:20 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I paid $3.71 for regular gas (Shell) in Tennessee on Sunday or Monday and I just took a look at this article with a photo of a sign in Miami showing gas at $4.71 for regular there.

Gas numbers game is a loser for Obama - Washington Times

Why such a huge difference and why do you pay more for gas in a big city? Is it city taxes? Still, a dollar more than I pay? I don't live in a rural town but I don't live in a big city, either.

Have you seen the high price of gas impacting the prices of other things where you live? Is travel and tourism within the US going to take a big hit this summer where you live? Is President Obama going down in November for it? (Not asking if it's justified or not, just if you think the public will blame him when they vote.)
The BIGGIE in this instance is going to be property costs. (Taxes etc. would be the rest along with higher employee costs etc.)
Your local gas station might have cost $1million to build and one in Miami might cost $4million just for the cost of land difference.

So, all else being equal the margins on goods typically need to be a lot higher to produce a reasonable return on investment.

I bet if you go in there you will see just about everything more expensive including drinks, snacks, windshield wiper fluid blah blah blah.

Imagine what you might have to pay in rent in Miami vs where you live for the same place.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:23 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Gas Stations near airports, are notoriously high priced, to get those returning rental cars with low fuel in the tank. Car rental places charge out the ass, for fuel, if you don't bring back a full tank of fuel.
My uncle runs a gas station in a smallish town and makes nearly nothing on gas. Instead he profits from selling lottery tix, pop, candy, cigarettes....you get the picture.

So, you pay $1.50 for a 20oz. coca cola that costs the merchant less than 1/2 that....and barely blink.

Now imagine gas stations by airports which are often in less populated areas. Their other merchandise sales will be quite low and so they are going to push profit margins onto gas unlike other places that use cheap gas to lure people in to buy the other stuff.

Pretty straightforward stuff IMO.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:27 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
As a former station owner, I charged what the market would bear within a range of my nearest competitors.
Plenty of times I losing money, so when I could turn it up, I did.
I guess I was evil for wanting to stay in business.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:38 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Being a station owner is definitely on the wrong end of the petroleum bisiness. Did you have any say in what the gas cost? Could you have bought from a lower priced distributer?

Old 04-05-2012, 07:56 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Most of the factors have already been covered.

Gasoline taxes vary significantly by state and local area:

http://www.api.org/Oil-and-Natural-G...EFFB6585D.ashx

It is legitimately more expensive to build and operate a gas station in San Francisco than anywhere in Tennessee.

Here in Austin, gasoline prices can vary 20 cents within the same city/county area. That's due to competition, brand name vs. generic, and locale. Not surprisingly the gas in the nicer parts of town costs more.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:02 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Why such a huge difference and why do you pay more for gas in a big city? Is it city taxes? Still, a dollar more than I pay? I don't live in a rural town but I don't live in a big city, either.
There are gas stations in Dallas area that vary significantly in pricing. Take gas stations around the DFW Airport for example. They tend to charge a premium, compared to a gas station just a mile or less farther.

The state and federal taxes on gasoline is pretty much a constant for both, however (Texas: 20c/gallon, Federal: 18.4c/gallon)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies