Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2012, 12:39 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,819,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Doing away with their healthcare systems is not that reason.
Do you seriously think that by ruling the mandate unconstitutional the US Supreme court would destroy our healthcare system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 12:41 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,855,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Republicans also reject the notion of doing something fiscally responsible to pay for their wars by raising taxes. But then why should they, when it's pretty easy to stick taxpayers with it by borrowing however billions of dollars that are needed?
The incentive being that by running these deficits, they can gain support to push their ideology-based personal agenda against social programs. The evidence is right when you see their refusal to accept that tax cuts and defense spending are a problem if balancing budget is a need.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:12 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,054,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
How would we know? The GOP attacked it outrageously with lies about
"death panels" and "killing Granny" until we got a watered-down version.
Which was exactly my point.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:22 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,715,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
The incentive being that by running these deficits, they can gain support to push their ideology-based personal agenda against social programs. The evidence is right when you see their refusal to accept that tax cuts and defense spending are a problem if balancing budget is a need.

The bill is designed to make insurance companies trillions of dollars, not to do anything to provide healthcare. That is the problem, Einstein.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:37 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,855,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The bill is designed to make insurance companies trillions of dollars, not to do anything to provide healthcare. That is the problem, Einstein.
Then you should have supported the original idea: Public Option. You called that government takeover of insurance companies, putting them out of business.

But then, y'all are into that kind of idiocy.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:38 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,518,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
The commerce clause can be interpreted in that everyone will require the use of healthcare services at some point in their lives, so they can be forced to buy into the pool. Many people will require the use of medical services in states that are not their home states. I for instance was hit by a car while crossing the street at a pedestrian walk way because some bimbo wasn't paying attention. I had to spend the whole day in the ER getting repaired. That accident happened in Georgia while I was there on vacation. My home state is Florida. That is an example of the interstate commerce that occurs with healthcare services across state lines, making them subject to federal government intervention.

I will gladly pay my fair share of taxes so that we can have universal health care. You will also pay your share! We all live in and share this society, and sometimes for the betterment of the country we have to provide things that don't necessarily affect us. I am sure at some point my taxes have gone to pay for the construction of a public school on the Texas and Mexican border. I will never have the benefit of that, but I am glad it was done because it is important for us to educate younger Americans whether they live in Florida, Texas, or Alaska. The same standard should be held for healthcare.

And cancelling a phone bill wouldn't get anyone insurance. Hell, back before I had a pre-existing condition I would have paid $200 bucks a month for health insurance with blue cross blue shield. And I was a very healthy late teen when I checked then. My phone bill is not even half of $200. My roommate pays for the cable in our house. He is the only one who watches it.

Hah. Why not instead of babbling nonsense you debunk them for us? Those statistics are real and are a reflection of the dozens of millions of Americans who currently suffer under our current healthcare system.

And your example of changing a bank contract is bogus. I swear to god you conservatives and the absurd metaphors you use. In your example someone arbitrarily changed the contract, like a dictator. Our constitution can be amended and can be interpreted in various was only upon the approval of the voters. We vote our politicians in to make these decisions for us.
You're wasting your breath er, typing.

Perfect example of "I'm alright Jack, s***w you" that the rest of the world finds strange about a nation that refers to itself as the 'greatest'.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:01 PM

30,321 posts, read 23,805,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
I'm not sure why they would be baffled. It's pretty well known knowledge around the world today that the right wing political faction in America doesn't care if the poor or unemployed rot away with no health insurance. There are several judges who side with that faction.
Oh you lefties....

Ok, help me out here:

Are we the rich, elite white businessmen who don't give a crap about the poor and downtrodden or are we the idiot, trailer trash, redneck, one toothed, backwoods, inbred morons you see on Springer?

Because we can't be both...so pick one and stick with it.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:02 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,518,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Do you seriously think that by ruling the mandate unconstitutional the US Supreme court would destroy our healthcare system?
Why would this one mandate be unconstitutional when all the other things, required and provided by mandates, have existed for years?

Old 04-06-2012, 02:04 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,347,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
You're wasting your breath er, typing.

Perfect example of "I'm alright Jack, s***w you" that the rest of the world finds strange about a nation that refers to itself as the 'greatest'.
So true.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:07 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,347,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Oh you lefties....

Ok, help me out here:

Are we the rich, elite white businessmen who don't give a crap about the poor and downtrodden or are we the idiot, trailer trash, redneck, one toothed, backwoods, inbred morons you see on Springer?

Because we can't be both...so pick one and stick with it.
For this scenario, definitely this one: "elite white businessmen"

If we were talking about gay marriage or something the key stakeholders would probably be the: "idiot, trailer trash, redneck, one toothed, backwoods, inbred morons you see on Springer"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies