Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2012, 01:01 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,979,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahomeyAhosi View Post
1. Thank you for leaving behind the black race. That's one less self-hating negro I will have to worry about. There have been enough of you to do your own thing for a while now and I hope you recruit others to help sift mixed race people and authentic black people.
So, I say I am black and Italian, and I can't really say I'm black exclusively, and that makes me a "self hating Negro"?

Quote:

2. I've never met a Ghanaian who considered mixed-race people to be black. If you want to be in a place where you are called by exactly what you are then you are invited to visit.
Ah, any where but America a mixed black and white person is not considered black...well, actually, lots of people in America consider mulattoes to be...well...mulatto. It's only amongst blacks that we have to be blacker than Louis Farrakhan or go to hell. In Brazil, we're Pardo, in the Caribbean, we're mulatto, in South Africa, we're coloureds, in most of America, we're mixed...in "the hood", we're "high yellow uncle Tom blah blah blah..."

Quote:
3. Perhaps your father passed down the gems about black American women being undesirable hoodrats. Maybe one of these days black American women can measure up so that they can proudly stand next to the paragons of virility, support, and family sustenance that is black American men. In the meantime do not feel it's necessary to give African women compliments while degrading black American women.
Just personal experience. Here's what I've experienced with African women:

Beautiful Nigeria & other African women - YouTube

and here's black American women...

Pepperoni Booty - Hardcore Pawn - YouTube

Yeah....

Old 04-15-2012, 01:09 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,979,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I feel that if Obama did that, Black people would just be like, "Alright then, goodbye." Why do you think Dave Chapelle did the skit entitled "Racial Draft" on his show? Because we as Black people could care less about that stuff in large amounts. Many of us might grumble and mumble, but when another Black person doesn't want to be Black, that's their business. And that is what we have been trying to tell the OP. The difference with the President is that he is on a grander stage and so much has been invested in him by people of color, so it would be slightly different.

First, "people of color" means EVERYONE WHO ISN'T WHITE. I am a person of color, and I'm not all black. Latinos are people of color and so are Asians. Back in Jim Crow, if a Chinese or Native American was on a bus, they would have had to sit in the back of the bus too.

Second, Obama is a sell out for many, MANY reasons. But, he is a sell out to mixed race people because we put up with crap from blacks and whites. It's hard to be mixed...but what does Obama say? He says he's black and throws in completely with blacks and turns his back on every half black person who has ever been treated poorly by blacks because of their race...and that, by the way, is 99% of mulattoes.

Just as he would have betrayed his people if he said he was white, he's betraying his people by saying he's black. He is mixed...and I know it is tempting to say you're black and fit in somewhere, but it's a cowardly thing to do. Having the KKK want to kill you is one thing...but if the KKK AND the New Black Panther party wants to kill you, that's even worse.

By denying his multiracial heritage, Obama slapped all multiracial Americans in the face...but, he also slapped all Americans in the face by agreeing to the bail outs, NDAA, continued occupation of Afghanistan, taking money from Goldman Sach's, appointing a former CEO of Monsanto to be Secretary of Agriculture etc etc etc...

Obama: proof that people of color can be just as corrupt and worthless as white folks. We have finally reached the mountain top alright.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:40 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,566,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
First, "people of color" means EVERYONE WHO ISN'T WHITE. I am a person of color, and I'm not all black. Latinos are people of color and so are Asians. Back in Jim Crow, if a Chinese or Native American was on a bus, they would have had to sit in the back of the bus too.

Second, Obama is a sell out for many, MANY reasons. But, he is a sell out to mixed race people because we put up with crap from blacks and whites. It's hard to be mixed...but what does Obama say? He says he's black and throws in completely with blacks and turns his back on every half black person who has ever been treated poorly by blacks because of their race...and that, by the way, is 99% of mulattoes.

Just as he would have betrayed his people if he said he was white, he's betraying his people by saying he's black. He is mixed...and I know it is tempting to say you're black and fit in somewhere, but it's a cowardly thing to do. Having the KKK want to kill you is one thing...but if the KKK AND the New Black Panther party wants to kill you, that's even worse.

By denying his multiracial heritage, Obama slapped all multiracial Americans in the face...but, he also slapped all Americans in the face by agreeing to the bail outs, NDAA, continued occupation of Afghanistan, taking money from Goldman Sach's, appointing a former CEO of Monsanto to be Secretary of Agriculture etc etc etc...

Obama: proof that people of color can be just as corrupt and worthless as white folks. We have finally reached the mountain top alright.
You're too smart for that giggly gf, she sounds confused and immature. You can do better imo. I don't like girls that string a guy along, and that's what it sounds like she's doing to you.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:47 AM

261 posts, read 588,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post

Actually in some Southern states such as Mississippi during Jim Crow many Asians could legally attend white only schools, join white only organizations and make use of other privileges reserved only for whites. So long as they participated in social discrimination against blacks that is.

I think THAT is the point you fail to understand along with most people. Many ethnic groups faced their share of discrimination but racialization in this country has always been accultured between "Whiteness" and "Blackness". You become closer to one identity the further away you are from the other. A surefire approach for a group or person to gradually gain acceptance (and eventually assimilate) with the white majority was to disassociate themselves from blacks and blackness in all its forms in society.

Almost any non-white ethnic group (and white non-WASP ethnic group) at some point has their identity compared on a level of blackness as a lowest common denominator.
Irish Americans, formerly called "White negro", "negro turned inside out"; People of Middle Eastern descent called "sand negroes", Filipinos called "Asian n***ers", etc. When the racial hierarchy operates with whites on top and blacks on the bottom people will naturally distance themselves from the element on the bottom. Irish Americans didn't become respectable accepted members into mainstream White society until they further distanced themselves from the "negroes" to which they were always compared and associated with and began operating on a racial white identity instead of an ethnic Irish one, an identity that had more in common with American blacks than their mainstream WASP counterparts.

Coming from a 'biracial' person also, why do you think the narrative of the biracial identity and experience in America commonly consists of not having full acceptance from either side and being pressured to associate with one more than the other? It's because oblivious as it still is to some people, the social condition of the country still operates on a "Whiteness to Blackness" scale.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:13 AM

1,575 posts, read 1,735,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
The one-drop rule comes up from time to time on this board and you are correct it appears many African Americans are deathly threatened by this being repudiated. A couple of us from an African background called the rule silly and racist. We pointed out that a person with a drop of Asian blood is not considered Asian so why are Blacks tagged with this rule? As if Black blood somehow taints an individual and makes them Black no matter how white appearing they appear to be.

The African Americans on the thread couldn't grasp this concept and accused us of self-hate. Which was baffling to me. The legacy of the plantation dies hard even in the 21st century.

Post after post you do all that you can to distance yourself from Black Americans. You have yet to realize that the only reason the door to America has been opened to your African family to come here dates back to the battles fought and the lives lost during and post slavery of black Americans.

As for the one drop rule, if you weren't so busy criticizing the very people who helped you escape your 3rd world debacle, you would know that the one drop rule is a very important part of our history. In between your constant distancing yourself from us while enjoying the fruits of Black American's labor and those who gave their lives to make it possible for you to immigrate to this country, you need to read a history book or two regarding slavery.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:22 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,841,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DahomeyAhosi View Post
1. Thank you for leaving behind the black race. That's one less self-hating negro I will have to worry about. There have been enough of you to do your own thing for a while now and I hope you recruit others to help sift mixed race people and authentic black people.

2. I've never met a Ghanaian who considered mixed-race people to be black. If you want to be in a place where you are called by exactly what you are then you are invited to visit.

3. Perhaps your father passed down the gems about black American women being undesirable hoodrats. Maybe one of these days black American women can measure up so that they can proudly stand next to the paragons of virility, support, and family sustenance that is black American men. In the meantime do not feel it's necessary to give African women compliments while degrading black American women.
Black American men don't measure up,that's the problem. We can't blame the women for what men do. There is no need to measure up to a man that has multiple arrest records and babies.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:29 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,841,954 times
On another note,throughout history it was the mulattos who seperated the?selves from blacks.
We really can't blame that one on whites. The paper bag test had nothing to so with whites.
Even some of the famous black leaders like W.E.D Dubois called Marcus Garvey a "short,fat,ugly dark skinned man". They tried to keep dark skinned blacks out of the NAACP in its early days.
Weird,true stuff.
That's why most of the leaders of the early 1900's were mulatto or light skinned.

In any event,I will go by what I see with my own eyes. He can say all he wants about mulattos being treated worse,but my eyes say different. I see wayyyyyyyyyyy more prejudice toward very dark skinned blacks by lighter skinned blacks than dark skinned blacks toward mulattos.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:33 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Black American men don't measure up,that's the problem. We can't blame the women for what men do. There is no need to measure up to a man that has multiple arrest records and babies.
You're looking at the wrong man then. The color of ones skin has no meaning on their accomplishments.
Fish from a different pond next time.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:24 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Bottom line is that you want to insert yourself into the argument about racial identity as it concerns black people when you have no place in the conversation. The OP gave you an opening, so you took it. Fair enough. But outside of these forums, this isn't your issue.

White folks have meddled enough in affairs of racial identity, and they've screwed it up royally. They're THE reason why there is so much confusion as it stands. Between "one drop rules," quadroon, octaroon, mulatto, etc...why in the hell should black folks consult with white folks on matters of race and identity anymore? Answer: they shouldn't.

Now all of a sudden, white folks want to be the arbiters of who is and isn't black? LOL...please. Any black person looking to white folks for wisdom on this issue is a crash test dummy.
What a bunch of crap!

Yep it's us white folks to blame for everything.

Please refer to one of "SoEdibles" responses to a post I made; admonishing me that this board is a public domain and not owned by anyone.

I didn't insert myself into some discussion about a problem afflicting ONLY blacks CAUSED by whites. That's the very moronic reason this thread has gotten the traction it has.

You insist on categorizing the O/P in the guise of some demon who is refuting his heritage and geneology when in reality he is attempting to embrace ALL of it. You refuse to let him. He's either black or nothing in your silly eyes.

My statement now to all of you as "Dr BruSan" (thanks SoEdible) is:

This kid is your best hope for the future! Your shouting him down gives him further proof of the accuracy of his conclusions.

I've waded through this drudge for page after page and have come to the conclusion a lot of you just want to keep this "us against them " stuff on a high boil because you're comfortable with it and full of hatred for previous wrongs comitted to ancestors.

I must acknowledge there have been many who have attempted to insert the voice of reason and confirmation from the black or AA membership perspective but they too are derided by the strident.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:42 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRain_1 View Post
Post after post you do all that you can to distance yourself from Black Americans. You have yet to realize that the only reason the door to America has been opened to your African family to come here dates back to the battles fought and the lives lost during and post slavery of black Americans.

As for the one drop rule, if you weren't so busy criticizing the very people who helped you escape your 3rd world debacle, you would know that the one drop rule is a very important part of our history. In between your constant distancing yourself from us while enjoying the fruits of Black American's labor and those who gave their lives to make it possible for you to immigrate to this country, you need to read a history book or two regarding slavery.
I probably know more about African American history than you do hence the reason I am so critical of African Americans today.

Also FYI Africans have been coming as immigrants to this country since the founding of this country. Do some research on the Abyssinian Church in Harlem read about who founded it and get back to me. One of my good friends great-grandfather came from Ethiopia at the turn of the 20th century. I've seen the pics of him.

I personally know Ghanaians, admittedly not many, who were in this country before the passage of the Immigrant Rights Act of 1965.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies