Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2012, 12:30 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,580,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahomeyAhosi View Post
BLACK Americans are often actually MIXED Americans so of course there are many lighter than Obama. The one drop rule allows anyone from Wentworth Miller to me to claim that label without a whimper so of course Obama doesn't stick out.

However you can see from the picture that his skin color is anomaly when compared to the real Luo (black) people in his own family. At the end of the day when mixed people are compared to authentic black people rather than ODR "black" people the difference is obvious.
Yes, it is a well-known fact that most black Americans have European ancestry due to the behavior of slave owners. However, that was not the issue. At issue is whether Obama's skin color is an anomaly when compared to the average black American, with two black parents. It is not. Put him in a crowd of black people, and you will see no difference. Most black families in this country have every shade from blue black to the whitest white. That has always been the case.

Perhaps his skin is far lighter than most of his African relatives. But, his African relatives are not representative of Black America. Again, we come in ALL shades.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:38 PM

674 posts, read 699,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
ALL Africans are not dark skinned. I have a Nigerian friend who is fairly light skinned with light hazel eyes and she is not "mixed".

Light Skin West African Women with NO Mix - YouTube
Fail. Most of the women in that video are mixed race or skin bleachers. In fact at 0:47 Rhian Benson appears who is a half Ghanaian singer.

GhanaWeb

There is a significant amount of admixture in Africa so to say someone is African is not always meaningful. Certain ethnic groups such as Fulanis, Tauregs, Igbos, etc. are known to have non-African (Arab or Jewish blood) and recently ethnic groups have started intermarrying to high degrees. And of course there are many "Africans" who are biracial such as former Ghanaian president Jerry Rawlings.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:40 PM

6,455 posts, read 7,018,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I feel that if Obama did that, Black people would just be like, "Alright then, goodbye." Why do you think Dave Chapelle did the skit entitled "Racial Draft" on his show? Because we as Black people could care less about that stuff in large amounts. Many of us might grumble and mumble, but when another Black person doesn't want to be Black, that's their business. And that is what we have been trying to tell the OP. The difference with the President is that he is on a grander stage and so much has been invested in him by people of color, so it would be slightly different.
Nonsense. In this day and age, black people make a bigger issue of it than white people do. Another example is Tiger Woods. Need I say more? Tiger identified himself as mixed with various races instead of soley identifying as black (mind you , he never said anything against black folks), yet many were upset, dissapointed and considerd him a "sell out." The fact that he married and shared his wealth and genetics with the blondest of the blonde nord was the last staple.

What happened? The black community wanted to disown him. Many if not most were appalled at the very idea of who he married and what he called himself. And many were jubeliant, ecstatic and celebratory when he supposedly got harsh treatment for his filandering with random white women. Most blacks who didn't agree with his choice of what to identify as were happy that he got his supposed "wake up call." Luckily for Tiger black people have little to do with who lines his pockets.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:46 PM

6,455 posts, read 7,018,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DahomeyAhosi View Post
BLACK Americans are often actually MIXED Americans so of course there are many lighter than Obama. The one drop rule allows anyone from Wentworth Miller to me to claim that label without a whimper so of course Obama doesn't stick out.

However you can see from the picture that his skin color is anomaly when compared to the real Luo (black) people in his own family. At the end of the day when mixed people are compared to authentic black people rather than ODR "black" people the difference is obvious.
yup!

Old 04-15-2012, 01:19 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,755,031 times
Hmmm, I'm glad I opted instead NOT to read this 41 page thread of bullcrap.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:20 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,737,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I probably know more about African American history than you do hence the reason I am so critical of African Americans today.
First and foremost, most Black Americans do not identify with the labels of Jesse and Al. I am an AMERICAN. You, on the other hand need to stop kidding yourself about what you are. You are an AFRICAN from a country where YOUR people have no respect for each other and women are chattel. So who are you to criticize BlacK AMERICANS in OUR country?

As much as you seem to hate that, no matter where you immigrate from or run to you will first and foremost always be an AFRICAN/foreigner. A green card does not change that. Me? I am a born and bred BLACK American and do not identify with you or the culture from which you hail. Genital mutilation, women still walking around bra-less, flies buzzing around them because they don't bathe regularly, having children that they cannot feed or care for. Yet you fled from your country and you have the nerve to criticize a nation of people who were enslaved, helped build this country, were hung from trees and denied the rights of human beings. Yet we managed to break free. What's your excuse for you and your family cowardly fleeing your country?

As a very young child I marched for many of the civil rights that you fled your OWN COUNTRY to come here and enjoy to date.

Who the hell are you to criticize Black Americans?

Quote:
Also FYI Africans have been coming as immigrants to this country since the founding of this country. Do some research on the Abyssinian Church in Harlem read about who founded it and get back to me. One of my good friends great-grandfather came from Ethiopia at the turn of the 20th century. I've seen the pics of him.

I personally know Ghanaians, admittedly not many, who were in this country before the passage of the Immigrant Rights Act of 1965.
I do not care how long your people have been coming here. At the end of the day you are transplants enjoying the fruits of my ancestors labors. Your self hatred and that of Black Americans is duly noted. You are free to leave my country anytime.

We don't need to hear your negative opinion of Black AMERICANS every time you post.

Last edited by PurpleRain_1; 04-15-2012 at 01:28 PM..

Old 04-15-2012, 02:04 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,443,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
ALL Africans are not dark skinned. I have a Nigerian friend who is fairly light skinned with light hazel eyes and she is not "mixed".

Light Skin West African Women with NO Mix - YouTube
Incorrect. These women do not descend from some light skin tribe in Sub-Saharan Africa. They are mixed. There was extensive trade and interaction between Sub- Saharan Africa, Europe and the Middle East for about 500 years in the case of the Europeans. So just because a light skin Nigerian doesn't know of a white ancestor in living memory doesn't mean they didn't have one.

In relations to Ghana the coastal people have been trading with Europeans for 500 years. As will happen anytime men and woman, especially men far from home, come together love matches occur(along with prostitution, rape etc). I know personally of two Ghanaians from the Ewe tribe who have white ancestors. It was also not unheard of to cement treaties between Africans and Europeans with an agreement of marriage between the chief's daughter and a European trader.

The only way an Sub-Saharan Bantu African can have lighter skin then your typical dark skinned African is by having a non-African ancestor somewhere in his blood line or they are an Albino.

What I've noticed a lot about African Americans is they seem to know a lot about Ancient Egypt, a place where they have absolutely no blood connection to, but are mostly ignorant about the regions their ancestors actually came from.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:17 PM

219 posts, read 923,662 times
One reason why many African Americans may be quick to tell you that you are "black" and not Italian is simply because it's almost a known fact that many many Italians are very racist against black people. That being said while your Italian admixture may be marveled at by some in the African American community, your African blood will be reviled in the Italian community.

Now this is very interesting IMO. That's the thing about some mixed race people with your "issue" that I'm beginning to notice. As soon as one of those racist in the Italian community who you so want to identify with, shuns you in a racist way for trying to be one of them, then who do you run to? Who accepts you fully and strikes back at the racist? That's right the black community!

Old 04-15-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRain_1 View Post
First and foremost, most Black Americans do not identify with the labels of Jesse and Al. I am an AMERICAN. You, on the other hand need to stop kidding yourself about what you are. You are an AFRICAN from a country where YOUR people have no respect for each other and women are chattel. So who are you to criticize BlacK AMERICANS in OUR country?
Huh I don't entertain stupidity, anyway I was born here and in the eyes of the law am as an American as you.
Quote:
As much as you seem to hate that, no matter where you immigrate from or run to you will first and foremost always be an AFRICAN/foreigner. A green card does not change that.
See above. I do not hate anyone. I've never had a green card because I was born and raised here.

Quote:
Me? I am a born and bred BLACK American and do not identify with you or the culture from which you hail. Genital mutilation, women still walking around bra-less, flies buzzing around them because they don't bathe regularly, having children that they cannot feed or care for

Your ignorance about Africa is showing yet again read a book if you care to enlighten yourself.

Quote:
Yet you fled from your country and you have the nerve to criticize a nation of people who were enslaved, helped build this country, were hung from trees and denied the rights of human beings. Yet we managed to break free. What's your excuse for you and your family cowardly fleeing your country?
Cry me a river. Knowing all of this why do African Americans tarnish the memory of their ancestors by being the biggest drivers of violent crime in America?
Quote:
As a very young child I marched for many of the civil rights that you fled your OWN COUNTRY to come here and enjoy to date.
Great. Yet all these years you still seem to be very ignorant about the world.

Quote:
Who the hell are you to criticize Black Americans?
A Black American.

Quote:
I do not care how long your people have been coming here. At the end of the day you are transplants enjoying the fruits of my ancestors labors. Your self hatred and that of Black Americans is duly noted. You are free to leave my country anytime.
If you want to be technical we are enjoying the country that was founded by British colonizers who imported African slaves that were sold to them by Africans. African Americans had as much to do with building America as a mule.
Quote:
We don't need to hear your negative opinion of Black AMERICANS every time you post.
Put me on ignore many of your brethren who can't handle the truth already have done so, no skin off my back.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Nonsense. In this day and age, black people make a bigger issue of it than white people do. Another example is Tiger Woods. Need I say more? Tiger identified himself as mixed with various races instead of soley identifying as black (mind you , he never said anything against black folks), yet many were upset, dissapointed and considerd him a "sell out." The fact that he married and shared his wealth and genetics with the blondest of the blonde nord was the last staple.

What happened? The black community wanted to disown him. Many if not most were appalled at the very idea of who he married and what he called himself. And many were jubeliant, ecstatic and celebratory when he supposedly got harsh treatment for his filandering with random white women. Most blacks who didn't agree with his choice of what to identify as were happy that he got his supposed "wake up call." Luckily for Tiger black people have little to do with who lines his pockets.
Excellent point I recall when Tiger Woods first came out how desperate African Americans wanted to claim him. Despite him being very clear about what he considered his identity to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies