Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 05:21 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,046,327 times

Advertisements

I am a sales professional, therefore, my income is substantially higher than a woman working the switchboard in the office.

Does that count?

The female reps earn what I earn (if they produce as I do).

My son works i n food retail as a general manager.

The female GM's earn the same.

In fact, I've never worked for a business where women were paid less than men for doing the same job.

I believe that this is a leftie talking point with a baseless foundation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 05:55 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,368,826 times
You could look at any number of sites a simple search provides such as:

Wall Street Says Women Worth Less as Disparity Over Pay Widens - Bloomberg

Pay Gap Between Male And Female Doctors Gets Wider And Wider

Equal Pay and the Gender Gap: Men Still Outearn Women - TIME

etc., etc,. etc............................................... ....

But I guess it's easier to use your irrelevant sample size of two to attempt making a rightie talking point with baseless foundation, eh?

Old 04-12-2012, 05:59 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,768,722 times
This is just another salesman blabbering nonsense to get you to buy his crap. Dismissed with prejudice.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:10 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,035,628 times
From the studies I've seen done correctly where they are comparing apples to apples the pay gap is very small. For the one where you see percentages like 25% less those are averages of the entire population and do not take into consideration things like career choices the "Mommy Factor" or other things that can drive down the average lifetime wages of females. Those are entirely unfair comparisons but it certainly makes for nice sensationalistic news story.

---------------------

Like this one in Burdells's third link:

Quote:
Last year's tax returns may already be signed, sealed and delivered, but April 20 is the day the average American woman will finally finish earning her 2009 salary — at least, the one she would have received if she were a man. That's because U.S. women still earned only 77 cents on the male dollar in 2008, according to the latest census statistics

Old 04-12-2012, 06:17 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,725,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I am a sales professional, therefore, my income is substantially higher than a woman working the switchboard in the office.

Does that count?

The female reps earn what I earn (if they produce as I do).

My son works i n food retail as a general manager.

The female GM's earn the same.

In fact, I've never worked for a business where women were paid less than men for doing the same job.

I believe that this is a leftie talking point with a baseless foundation.
i agree. I have never worked anywhere that women were paid differently than men, so I have a hard time believing that the "wage gap for equal work" exists.

like any statistical analysis... if you torture the data enough, it will confess to whatever you want it to.

Personally, I want to know what equal work really is. I don't believe that this is statistically measurable.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:21 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,035,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
like any statistical analysis... if you torture the data enough, it will confess to whatever you want it to.
They don't have to torture it, just take an average without consideration of any other factors. It should be expected the average wage of women across the entire population is less than men because if it wasn't it would show discrimination against men.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:38 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,368,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
From the studies I've seen done correctly where they are comparing apples to apples the pay gap is very small. For the one where you see percentages like 25% less those are averages of the entire population and do not take into consideration things like career choices the "Mommy Factor" or other things that can drive down the average lifetime wages of females. Those are entirely unfair comparisons but it certainly makes for nice sensationalistic news story.

---------------------

Like this one in Burdells's third link:
As long as we're picking cherries, from the same link: But industry doesn't tell the whole story. Women earned less than men in all 20 industries and 25 occupation groups surveyed by the Census Bureau in 2007 — even in fields in which their numbers are overwhelming. Female secretaries, for instance, earn just 83.4% as much as male ones. And those who pick male-dominated fields earn less than men too: female truck drivers, for instance, earn just 76.5% of the weekly pay of their male counterparts.Read more: Equal Pay and the Gender Gap: Men Still Outearn Women - TIME

Do you really consider 16% and 23% pay differences 'very small'?

I'd bet a lot depends on which side of that difference you're on.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:42 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,368,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
As long as we're picking cherries, from the same link: But industry doesn't tell the whole story. Women earned less than men in all 20 industries and 25 occupation groups surveyed by the Census Bureau in 2007 — even in fields in which their numbers are overwhelming. Female secretaries, for instance, earn just 83.4% as much as male ones. And those who pick male-dominated fields earn less than men too: female truck drivers, for instance, earn just 76.5% of the weekly pay of their male counterparts.Read more: Equal Pay and the Gender Gap: Men Still Outearn Women - TIME

Do you really consider 16% and 23% pay differences 'very small'?

I'd bet a lot depends on which side of that difference you're on.
Selective cherry-picking indeed!

Has it EVER occurred to you that there could be MANY reasons why, in any given job market, women may average less pay than men? Perhaps degree of education? Years of experience? Ability to do a particular job that is physically demanding?

I'm sure you HAVEN'T thought about those things...

Old 04-12-2012, 06:43 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,354,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i agree. I have never worked anywhere that women were paid differently than men, so I have a hard time believing that the "wage gap for equal work" exists.

Personally, I want to know what equal work really is. I don't believe that this is statistically measurable.
So how, exactly, were you privy to what wages were paid to whom? Most companies closely guard this information and forbid employees to discuss their salaries.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:58 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,725,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
So how, exactly, were you privy to what wages were paid to whom? Most companies closely guard this information and forbid employees to discuss their salaries.
Well, that's illegal for a company to do. I once worked at a company that tried this tactic, and threatened us, and i quit.

i'm not going to tell you how i know, just that knowing what my colleagues make is a very high priority for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies