Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Of the past generations of American youth, where do you think today's youth stand?
Better than average 17 16.83%
Average 29 28.71%
Worse than average 49 48.51%
No opinion / Don't know 6 5.94%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 10:32 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,337,057 times

Advertisements

I'd rather the Conservatives ditch their pursuit of power and ideology; taking a back-seat to Liberalism in that sense... yet hold Governments purse-strings in-perpetuity. Since they have no ideological purpose, they'd be able to better find ways to fund this and that social program, without bankrupting the Country. (as opposed to their current ideology meaning they WANT to bankrupt the country, so they can prove Government doesn't work...)

I wouldn't live in a Conservative-dominated country. I value my individualism.
I think it's a misnomer that Con's have an individualist mindset... They don't.
You're welcome to be an individual... but THEIR kind of individual.

The accusation against Liberals always goes back to 'Thought Police'... but they're more concerned with people getting along and not being dicks to each other than making you into something you're not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 10:40 PM

860 posts, read 1,359,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
You mean like get rid of the two party system in favor of a one party system? I don't think that will happen. Hopefully whatever parties we have in the future will have a more blended view of social issues though.
That's not what I meant. It'd be interesting to see alternatives to challenge either the dems or gop, but such parties would require extensive funding that's not foreseeable in the near future.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:43 PM

744 posts, read 812,790 times
My generation(I'm 22) is 10,000x better than the selfish baby boomer "me me me" generation but worse than most generations before them by a long shot.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:47 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,879,951 times
In some respects better, in others worse...

Old 04-13-2012, 11:10 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,228,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Well, do your hs kids have driver's licences and jobs?

I had a job and drivers license at 16. I moved out at 18. Nearly every one of my peers had similar stories at my age. It wasn't until about 20 or so (24 now) that so many of us lost our jobs and couldn't find replacement work. Many of my friends have moved back in with their parents after graduation because they can't find work.

I just get a little sensitive at how older Americans think generation y doesn't want to work! I can look at my friends on facebook who are chronically unemployed and their facebook walls are just full of depression. I think most of the unemployed youth definitely want jobs. Myself included!
I have one that has an appointment to get her restricted license on her 15th BD, another that just turned 18 and still doesn't have a license. They are so different. I'm like you- got my DL the day I turned 16. First "real" job at 15. Loved making my own $.

You're 24. I "get" that grown kinds are having to move back home because of lack of opportunity. My extended family has been touched by this. This is a surreal time. Having to move back as a young adult is just a part of the reality of our time. It in no way means that I think young adults that have moved back have had to do so BC they are not capable or adequate. It's just the reality that we have now. It sucks. It will turn around, though.

I guess I am an "Older American" (that sucks, too , LOL!) and I have never thought that gen Y didn't want to work. This thread is about youth and I see youth as minors/18sih that are taking first steps on their own. That is what I responded to.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:22 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,196,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Worse, they have had far more indoctrination of leftist thinking by the teacher's union than all other generations.
The best description I've heard for most of these people are: "ENTITLEMENT MONSTERS".

They don't understand the concept that you earn a home in 30 years. There is not much free out in the real world, but they expect a lot of it.
Really? The rate of unionization used to be higher. The biggest entitlement monsters and consumers of government services are the old, not the young.

Basically, your entire post is wrong. Instead of complaining about young people, you should maybe try taking some personal responsibility.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:26 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,228,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Do you think today's youth (Generation Y, The Millenials) - let's use 15 to 30 as an age range - are better, worse, or average, compared with past generations of American youth?
Okay, after reading many posts, and to deflect a generation war , your OP embraces two separate gens: 15 - 30.

15 v- 30 is two separate generations.

And to those baby boomer haters...

1- baby boomers were all over the board in parenting, employment, etc., we spanned two very different times (early baby boomers were the jocks, fraternity, sorority; later, the hippies, peace, love, dove...in simple terms)

and

2- baby boomer parents AND EVERY PARENT GROUP did the best we could. Some day in the not too distant future, YOU will be US. And it happens more quickly than you can believe!

My 15 YO is very different than a 30 year old. I recently heard the next gen label, but can't find it online.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:28 PM

11 posts, read 21,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
My generation(I'm 22) is 10,000x better than the selfish baby boomer "me me me" generation but worse than most generations before them by a long shot.
Very impressed with above. The baby boomer's were spoiled and left the mess we have....and continue ( ever see a pension pro-rated in bad times....nope, regardless of even none requirement...nope) The Alaskan cruise is over I suppose and now its liquidate, 13 trillion in off shore investments to make sure....we see what not to do....then the tears and complaining for a stable environment, what a joke. Me Me Me...you got that exactly right. Me Me Me is an excuse expert as well, limitless. That old car plant walked away from in Detroit is the ole Christmas Tree Mascot . What a farce. Now the dressed up southern reality is next on the list for the dishs left uncleaned after eating. It will be cthe next mess....All the little Christmas Tree Mascots and the decorating woa....what is the queen coming for dinner.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:03 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,099,286 times
Way worse.

Then again, what do you expect from a society where about half of marriages end in divorce, and in some communities, a large majority of families consist of a single mother and her children, with no father present. And we wonder why our country is in the state it is in.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:15 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,454,198 times
Same... of course every generation has the incorrect assumption that the generation following it is worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies