Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2012, 07:52 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Ugh. I hate when that happens! When I was a cashier in college I always dreaded the people with carts full of clothes because I knew something in there would be mismarked...and sure enough it was. On top of that, people who back up a line without consideration for others is one of my biggest pet peeves.
(psst, you would HATE living in Miami then..those people are oblivious to anyone around them. If we started a thread about that, I'd be on there for pages, retelling some stories. OY!)

Old 04-15-2012, 07:53 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
You can't convince a liberal that they're wrong. It doesn't matter how egregious the fraud, waste, and abuse is.......they won't believe you. If there's anything under the sun that shows the obtusity and ignorance of the liberal left, it's a discussion about entitlement abuse. It never fails. The most ignorant amongst them will invariably speak up.
Likewise it's impossible to convince a conservative (or most conservatives) that even 1% of the poor might possibly have hit a hard patch in their life and might need public assistance for a time. No, they're all lazy, all became poor due to poor choices, almost all are minorities, and all are pretty much worthless. No amount of convincing will change your mind.

Come on, guys, why don't you just come out and admit it. You hate poor people. It's not like it's a huge secret. Go ahead and tell us what we already know: That you wish they--and their children--would just die off so they wouldn't have to be a dead weight on our society.

Social Darwinism at its finest.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:59 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
No one is saying that people aren't claiming what they don't need...however, it is only human nature to take advantage of freebies. If someone starts handing you free stuff, you know you're going to take it! If the local government bodies approve them for welfare when they shouldnt be, it is the laws you need to complain about. You don't need to be looking down your nose at a poor person buying foods you judge as being unhealthy - what if it was a child's birthday party and a LOT of scrimping and saving had been going on to be able to afford treats? You don't KNOW, so stop JUDGING.

My point is, don't judge...you just look stupid and bigoted.
I didn't think I WAS judging...merely reporting what my mother has seen as a cashier. Also, food stamps are supposed to be for one family only. Last time I checked you weren't supposed to be buying food to supply parties.

Quote:
Ugh. I hate when that happens! When I was a cashier in college I always dreaded the people with carts full of clothes because I knew something in there would be mismarked...and sure enough it was. On top of that, people who back up a line without consideration for others is one of my biggest pet peeves.
Tell me about it. I went to my local Plaid Pantry a couple days ago...you know, a convenience store where people go to get a pack of cigarettes or beer and get the eff out in a hurry.

2 people in line in front of me. No worries, it's a convenience store, right ? Lines normally go pretty quickly.

Not this time. I stood there a good ten minutes while this hispanic woman was getting 1200 dollars worth of money orders, all the while chatting away in spanish on her cell phone. When she finally got them she just walked off without nary a glance at the customers (who had to wait for her) behind her.

I don't know...maybe it's just me but If I had had the bad sense to buy 1200 dollars worth of money orders at a CONVENIENCE store, I would at least have been ashamed enough of my bad manners to glance behind me and sheepishly say "Sorry guys !" with an apologetic look on my face. Nothing from this woman. She in fact had the attitude that because she was hispanic, she was more superior a customer then the two of us (both white). No proof of this of course it was just a vibe I got from her. And I tend to trust vibes. Also, this is an attitude that is quite common in this area of town.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:59 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Likewise it's impossible to convince a conservative (or most conservatives) that even 1% of the poor might possibly have hit a hard patch in their life and might need public assistance for a time. No, they're all lazy, all became poor due to poor choices, almost all are minorities, and all are pretty much worthless. No amount of convincing will change your mind.

Come on, guys, why don't you just come out and admit it. You hate poor people. It's not like it's a huge secret. Go ahead and tell us what we already know: That you wish they--and their children--would just die off so they wouldn't have to be a dead weight on our society.

Social Darwinism at its finest.
Actually, all I ask for is front side personal responsibility. When you figure out what exactly that entails, let us know. Then we can begin to have a debate about all that "dead weight."

(PS....how cute of you to parrot Barack Obama and the "Social Darwinism" tripe. When can we expect liberals not to trot out every useless quip this President makes? When can we expect you to think on your own without Barack Obama as your crutch?)

Old 04-15-2012, 08:13 PM

[quote]
Quote:
Actually, all I ask for is front side personal responsibility.
Who doesn't? I just don't think that all poor people got there because they weren't personally responsible. Most conservatives do.

Quote:
When you figure out what exactly that entails, let us know. Then we can begin to have a debate about all that "dead weight."
I do. I have my own career, my own place and am getting ready to pay my way through Grad school (trying to avoid loans if I can help it). Is that the answer you were looking for? A liberal who isn't on welfare...shocking, I know.

Quote:
(PS....how cute of you to parrot Barack Obama and the "Social Darwinism" tripe. When can we expect liberals not to trot out every useless quip this President makes? When can we expect you to think on your own without Barack Obama as your crutch?)
Well, actually, I was thinking of this thread. I wasn't even aware that Obama was talking Social Darwinism:

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...darwinism.html

Again, almost all of my dislike for conservatism comes not from MSNBC or liberal media. It's from conservatives themselves, the words they say, and the attitudes they have. If you all want to know why liberals have such a problem with conservatives a lot of you should start looking in the mirror.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:19 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
...Who doesn't? I just don't think that all poor people got there because they weren't personally responsible. Most conservatives do.

Again, almost all of my dislike for conservatism comes not from MSNBC or liberal media. It's from conservatives themselves, the words they say, and the attitudes they have. If you all want to know why liberals have such a problem with conservatives a lot of you should start looking in the mirror.
I'm glad you said "most" because that is actually something Aero and I do not agree on.

Now, having said that, the same can be said for why conservatives have such a problem with liberals...the words they say and the attitudes they have. A lot of them need to look in the mirror, as well.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I'm glad you said "most" because that is actually something Aero and I do not agree on.

Now, having said that, the same can be said for why conservatives have such a problem with liberals...the words they say and the attitudes they have. A lot of them need to look in the mirror, as well.
I usually qualify my opinions of people with "most" because 100% of certain groups do not think in lockstep. To think otherwise is intellectually dishonest. About looking in the mirror, I chalk that up to human nature, really. We're all inconsistent in some way or other. I can think of some inconsistencies of liberals too, and I consider myself one.

But it does bother me very much that this thread has had at least 350 posts, many of whom are from people who are more upset about a woman getting food for her kid (who may or may not have needed the assistance. None of us can tell for sure) while corporate fat cats use all of their money and influence with Washington (with both parties, really) to give themselves more advantages than us and crowd us out, economically and politically. To me it's all just so out of whack.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:45 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
You can't convince a liberal that they're wrong. It doesn't matter how egregious the fraud, waste, and abuse is.......they won't believe you. If there's anything under the sun that shows the obtusity and ignorance of the liberal left, it's a discussion about entitlement abuse. It never fails. The most ignorant amongst them will invariably speak up.
Hahaha... when was the last time YOU admitted you were wrong?? Meanwhile, in another post you're swearing by anecdotal "evidence" here, while I've personally witnessed the conservative posters (possibly even you?) calling out liberals for using anecdotes to prove a point. Do you even realize how much of a hypocrite you can be? It's almost astonishing.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:49 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Hahaha... when was the last time YOU admitted you were wrong?? Meanwhile, in another post you're swearing by anecdotal "evidence" here, while I've personally witnessed the conservative posters (possibly even you?) calling out liberals for using anecdotes to prove a point. Do you even realize how much of a hypocrite you can be? It's almost astonishing.
More tiresome than astonishing, it happens so frequently.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:49 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Sure whine and moan about some hispanic woman feeding her 9 kids yet say nothing when the wallstreet hedge funder drives off in his new Maserati after taking a massive bailout from the US government. Corporate welfare costs this country MUCH more than milk and cereal. But people like you pay lip service to one and ramble on with diarrhea at the mouth about the other. America is land of the hypocrites. I don't think most fully understand who's actually robbing them blind! It sure aint WIC mommas with cheap rims driving a Ford f'ing Expedition.

Your example while it would **** me off as well isn't that common and there are a lot of poor people who don't abuse the system. ALL welfare needs to be reigned in and better controlled INCLUDING CORPORATE!
We Tea Party Patriots are against ALL waste and abuse.

Why do lefties always assume that we conservatives are for corporate welfare?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies