Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 09:52 PM

195 posts, read 127,767 times

Advertisements

Many small business owners tend to vote Republican. Will one of you please explain why? I assume most of you have a customer base that is made up primarily of middle class workers. Republicans have declared war on the middle class and destroyed their ability to prosper. They have encouraged the exporting of good paying jobs and the destruction of our manufacturing base continuing the shrinking of your customer base. Health care is a major expense that Republicans don't want to fix. Again, please explain why you would vote Republican?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 09:54 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,975,389 times
Why would an anti-war person vote Democrat? You'll find the same answer.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:56 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,984,135 times
Scared. Low IQ's.

Although GOP policies are bad for the middle class they make up for this by playing upon cultural divides to fool unsophisticated voters.

They get them to vote against queeers, flag burners, traitors, lazy minorities, etc. Then bend them over on tax policy, public education, healthcare, job security, safety and enviromental standards etc.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:01 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,711,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Scared. Low IQ's.

Although GOP policies are bad for the middle class they make up for this by playing upon cultural divides to fool unsophisticated voters.

They get them to vote against queeers, flag burners, traitors, lazy minorities, etc. Then bend them over on tax policy, public education, healthcare, job security, safety and enviromental standards etc.
There's definitely a truth to that, but as someone who votes Democrat I am just as guilty of supporting a lot of big tax government initiatives with which I do not necessarily agree because I value the progressive social agenda for sustainability, equal opportunity, and diplomacy more than a tax structure (which can be ammended far more easily than ecological collapse).

Thus is the cost of a system with only two parties.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:04 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,845,681 times
why would those same people vote for a party who thinks that it's the responsibility of the federal government to provide family planning for 3rd world countries that give us nothing?

Old 06-07-2009, 10:04 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
There's definitely a truth to that, but as someone who votes Democrat I am just as guilty of supporting a lot of big tax government initiatives with which I do not necessarily agree because I value the progressive social agenda for sustainability, equal opportunity, and diplomacy more than a tax structure (which can be ammended far more easily than ecological collapse).

Beautifully said. I think I'd have to agree with that myself. It's frustrating, because we basically only have two options, and we get driven into this monotonous debate between "right versus left". I know that I'm categorized and stereotyped by many, and I catch myself doing the same with those who call themselves conservatives. I wish we had more choices, but with the way our political system is set up, I don't think it's ever going to happen.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:13 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,582,589 times
Most small business owners support Republicans because most far left Democrats have no clue how to run a business successfully.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:13 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,711,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Beautifully said. I think I'd have to agree with that myself. It's frustrating, because we basically only have two options, and we get driven into this monotonous debate between "right versus left". I know that I'm categorized and stereotyped by many, and I catch myself doing the same with those who call themselves conservatives. I wish we had more choices, but with the way our political system is set up, I don't think it's ever going to happen.
A social progressive movement tied to true fiscal conservatism would, I think, garner a great deal of support.

I imagine people saying, for example, "Okay. We are destroying our planet. Rather than fight it or tax the hell out of people, let's find ways for the market solve it." That's starting to happen, but not enough.

There's really no reason social progressive values must be hinged to fiscally liberal values any more than there's a reason fiscal conservatives must somehow share a bed with people who seek to use government to impose their religious values. It's just the way things have shaken out.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:17 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,845,681 times
Quote:
A social progressive movement tied to true fiscal conservatism would, I think, garner a great deal of support.

I imagine people saying, for example, "Okay. We are destroying our planet. Rather than fight it or tax the hell out of people, let's find ways for the market solve it." That's starting to happen, but not enough.

There's really no reason social progressive values must be hinged to fiscally liberal values any more than there's a reason fiscal conservatives must somehow share a bed with people who seek to use government to impose their religious values. It's just the way things have shaken out.

tell that to ron paul and barry goldwater.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:24 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,984,135 times
Quote:

What would be an example of a "big tax government initiative" you don't agree with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies