Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 07:39 PM

989 posts, read 2,762,327 times

Advertisements

I have noticed in a few other posts that Conservatives really don't seem to like the U.N., not to mention having the Anti-Christ in the "Left Behind" book series (extremely popular among Evangelical Christians) be the UN Secretary General.

Why is that? I know that the U.N. is not the smoothest running machine, but I think that's understandable considering how many different cultures and languages are involved (otherwise why not advocate cleaning up the US immigration bureaucracy... a much worse mess).

The U.N. mandate is to promote human rights and peace. Surely you cannot be against them for that!

I really would like to know what it is that gets you upset... Please post and let me know.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:41 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,825,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlevo View Post
I have noticed in a few other posts that Conservatives really don't seem to like the U.N. (not to mention the Anti-Christ in the "Left Behind" book series being the UN Secretary General).

Why is that? I know that the U.N. is not the smoothest running machine, but I think that's understandable considering how many different cultures and languages are involved (otherwise why not advocate cleaning up the US immigration bureaucracy... a much worse mess).

The U.N. mandate is to promote human rights and peace. Surely you cannot be against them for that!

I really would like to know what it is that gets you upset... Please post and let me know.
In a nutshell, they are AntiAmerican!

Old 05-25-2007, 07:44 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,746,960 times
Quote:
I know that the U.N. is not the smoothest running machine, .
That's an understatement! A big one.

Quote:
The U.N. mandate is to promote human rights and peace. Surely you cannot be against them for that!.
Hmm... I was under the impression that one of the guys in one of the positions that was supposed to promote human rights was in a country where he was allowing human rights to be trampled.

They have their heads in the sand and don't know what they are doing. That's the bottom line.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:52 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
I have noticed in a few other posts that Conservatives really don't seem to like the U.N., not to mention having the Anti-Christ in the "Left Behind" book series (extremely popular among Evangelical Christians) be the UN Secretary General.

It's NOT just conservatives who hate the UN. I hate them b/c they are in fact self-serving and anti-american. they are constantly DEMANDING $$$ from the US, but trashing it also. When hurricane katrina happened, you didn't see the UN demanding $$$ for lousianians the way that it did for the tsunami victims a year or so before.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:23 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,746,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
It's NOT just conservatives who hate the UN. I hate them b/c they are in fact self-serving and anti-american. they are constantly DEMANDING $$$ from the US, but trashing it also. When hurricane katrina happened, you didn't see the UN demanding $$$ for lousianians the way that it did for the tsunami victims a year or so before.
Right on, couldn't agree with you more.

Frankly I am SO SO SO tired of people around the world (and here in America) bashing America. Yet holding out their hand for money and help. Yet scaling walls and hiding in trucks to get into this great nation of ours. Even marching in streets to want to become citizens. Yet they cut it down and all we stand for. If people have such a problem with America then stop taking our money, coming for our jobs, begging to become citizens, etc. Enough is enough.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:51 PM

203 posts, read 163,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post

Frankly I am SO SO SO tired of people around the world (and here in America) bashing America. Yet holding out their hand for money and help. Yet scaling walls and hiding in trucks to get into this great nation of ours. Even marching in streets to want to become citizens. Yet they cut it down and all we stand for. If people have such a problem with America then stop taking our money, coming for our jobs, begging to become citizens, etc. Enough is enough.
Personally I would like to pull back most of our troops from around the world and use them here in our own country. Weed out the international terrorists and domestic terrorists (gangs) here and stop illegals from comming in. Finish building borders north and south and require people to enter LEGALLY. I would like to stop sending most government funded donations oversees. I would like the middle east to solve their own problems and when they can't, let France, China and Saudi Arabi have to do the fighting. Seeing how they bash us so much, let's take care of ourselves and pump money into intelligence and our own defense and let whatever happens happen over there. I would love to hear what they would have to say when all heck breaks loose over there. Maybe that's what needs to happen for the UN and all those countries to start showing us some respect. It would also shut up the leftest liberals here that think WE are the cause of everything wrong in the world. It would be sort of an "I told you so" sort of deal.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:57 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,161 times
Most of the world believes America deserves to be bashed. Those countries that want to participate in such bashing have the opportunity to voice their assessment in the U.N. It is a forum.

What is alarming is that people despise anything that is critical of the United States without question. That is unrealistic and arrogant. Comparing the tsunami to Katrina is unfair as the death toll in one was 150 times the other and the scope of the damage covered a far greater area. Frankly, the rest of the world doesn't have much sympathy for what happens to rich Americans (by their standards) despite our generosity. If you throw that generosity back in their face when they complain, then why don't you petition your government to STOP the handouts to foreign countries? Wouldn't that be a much better solution than to embarrass ourselves on the world stage?

Would you prefer the UN to be a place where dissent isn't allowed? Where everyone must speak well of the bully in the room? Is it truth only when America speaks? Your view paints America to be a child with his hands covering his ears, unwilling to listen to criticism or reason, and pouting in the corner for not getting his way. THAT picture goes a long way in explaining the America-bashing!

Finally, I agree that the responsibility of these non-Americans' lives is theirs and theirs only. If they want a better life then they should fix their country and not f*ck mine. But you can't blame them when their governments don't care and when OUR government actually encourages them. Your finger of blame isn't pointing in the right direction, though your anger is justified.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:57 PM

451 posts, read 835,738 times
Quote:

Oil for food scandal,raping little african girls How about the millions who have died in Rawanda,Congo,Samalia,Darfur etc.
Just think of all the wars around the world since 1948. The UN doesn't work thats why people like Saddam laugh at Un resolutions.

I'm open to and quite frankly would love to see a list of the UN's stellar accomplishments. That might help to ease my frustration with what I see as a bloated anti American beurocratic mess funded by U.S. taxpayers.

Then there is the talk of global taxes,not to mention sovereignty issues and on and on.

Actions speak louder than words and the UNs inaction has caused much suffering.

"WE THE PEOPLES OF THE UNITED NATIONS DETERMINED

to save succeeding generations from the scourge of war, which twice in our lifetime has brought untold sorrow to mankind, and to reaffirm faith in fundamental human rights, in the dignity and worth of the human person, in the equal rights of men and women and of nations large and small, and to establish conditions under which justice and respect for the obligations arising from treaties and other sources of international law can be maintained, and to promote social progress and better standards of life in larger freedom,

AND FOR THESE ENDS

to practice tolerance and live together in peace with one another as good neighbours, and to unite our strength to maintain international peace and security, and to ensure, by the acceptance of principles and the institution of methods, that armed force shall not be used, save in the common interest, and to employ international machinery for the promotion of the economic and social advancement of all peoples,

HAVE RESOLVED TO COMBINE OUR EFFORTS TO ACCOMPLISH THESE AIMS"

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Old 05-25-2007, 11:36 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,161 times
I would agree Sprinter that the UN's inactions have caused much suffering. As much as I believe others can use the UN as a forum to spout criticism of us and any other nation, I concur that it is hardly without fault. I think its failure might be due to the inequalities built into it whereby only a handful on nations can overpower the input of all the others. This begs the question: Should France get a larger voice than Nauru? Which reminds me of our "Should Wyoming voters be worth more than Californians in the Electoral College?".

What's the solution? Is there one at all?

Old 05-25-2007, 11:42 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Question agreed-

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post

So arent you upset that Bush is doing nothing to protect our borders???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies