Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 10:50 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,928,311 times

Advertisements

Leave it to the Repubs to push for hikes in student loan interest rates from 3.4% up to 6.8% on middle class families and students just trying to get an education. I guess that's the only way Repubs can continually get people to vote for them...by making education out of reach for average Americans in order to keep them ignorant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 10:52 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,193,859 times
Link?

Maybe they just think it's fair that loans are repaid, rather than ignored until the debt is forgiven or forgotten.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:57 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,928,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
Link?

Maybe they just think it's fair that loans are repaid, rather than ignored until the debt is forgiven or forgotten.
Congress Plans to Double Interest Rates on Student Loans - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

So how exactly does adding thousands of more dollars of debt make a loan easier to repay? Government loans are supposed to be low interest since the government shouldn't be giving out loans to make enormous amounts of profit like a big private bank for their shareholders.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:06 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,193,859 times
You're operating under the assumption that everyone will be paying that back (like they should.) If that were the case, proposals like this wouldn't even be talked about.

Edit: Could you please post this from an unbiased source, please? I don't put much (if any) stock in editorials/opinion pieces. They're usually very wrong or are written in such a way as to be far more opinion than actual news or fact.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:08 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,846,995 times
Nice try... most of the student loans now are provided through the government instead of through private corporations and fixed it at 3.4% for undergraduate and 6.8% for graduate students... now, this was great because previously, in addition to the interest rate, the government was guaranteeing them and providing an additional 6% interest to them as well... therefore, the real interest rate of the student loans before the government pullout was around 7-9% for undergraduate and graduate student loans.... the profit margins of the student loans were low enough (because students sometimes didn't pay) that any attempt to drop it lower force the corporations to stop offering student loans (which if anyone had a good memory would of remembered as that was what exactly happened)... so the student rate before it was subsidized by the government was around 7-9%... now it is 3.4% and 6.8% but it was DEMOCRATS who created and pass those rules (George Bush did sign it into law) and the interest rate hike was part of the plan.... so you blame the hike in interest rates on the wrong party... well, what did I expect from liberals... not only that, it made the student solely responsible for the interest rate instead of forcing taxpayers to share that burden... It is ironic that the article got it completely wrong, the hike was done back in 2007 when Democrat did it... and then blame it on the GOP... go figure those pesky liberals...

Old 04-15-2012, 11:20 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,415,085 times
I think the OP needs to change the title. The Democrats wrote and passed the law in 2007 with a sunset clause which raises the rates next year.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:30 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,009,461 times
I'll happily chip in on paying for the OP's education as soon as he/she/it is both willing to reimburse me for my educational expenditures and demonstrate their education is actually benefitting them.

Based on the premise of this thread I'm doubtful of their ability to prove any degree of meaningful educational enlightenment.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:15 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,438,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
I think the OP needs to change the title. The Democrats wrote and passed the law in 2007 with a sunset clause which raises the rates next year.
Have you noticed that many on here, have a memory lapse, when things as this nature actually have something to do with their own party. It was the Dems who passed this law in 2007.

I know easy to forget Ha!

Old 04-16-2012, 10:20 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,116,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Leave it to the Repubs to push for hikes in student loan interest rates from 3.4% up to 6.8% on middle class families and students just trying to get an education. I guess that's the only way Repubs can continually get people to vote for them...by making education out of reach for average Americans in order to keep them ignorant.
I, too, need to see a link, but I think what you're referring to is another one of those time-bomb expirations that are set to take place unless the legislation is renewed.

You should shed some sunlight on what's really going on here instead of painting Republicans as the devil without any data or information to back it up.

EDIT: The sources is "YAHOO VOICES?".....a "contributor network?" I have no desire to read this crap until I see something resembling an unbiased source providing the information.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:10 PM

23 posts, read 11,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Nice try... most of the student loans now are provided through the government instead of through private corporations and fixed it at 3.4% for undergraduate and 6.8% for graduate students... now, this was great because previously, in addition to the interest rate, the government was guaranteeing them and providing an additional 6% interest to them as well... therefore, the real interest rate of the student loans before the government pullout was around 7-9% for undergraduate and graduate student loans.... the profit margins of the student loans were low enough (because students sometimes didn't pay) that any attempt to drop it lower force the corporations to stop offering student loans (which if anyone had a good memory would of remembered as that was what exactly happened)... so the student rate before it was subsidized by the government was around 7-9%... now it is 3.4% and 6.8% but it was DEMOCRATS who created and pass those rules (George Bush did sign it into law) and the interest rate hike was part of the plan.... so you blame the hike in interest rates on the wrong party... well, what did I expect from liberals... not only that, it made the student solely responsible for the interest rate instead of forcing taxpayers to share that burden... It is ironic that the article got it completely wrong, the hike was done back in 2007 when Democrat did it... and then blame it on the GOP... go figure those pesky liberals...
Thank you for ending this thread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies