Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 04:52 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
hmm, gun laws are pretty interesting.. here in Texas it's pretty much anything goes except for full autos and concealed. A concealed license is pretty easy to get with a class though. It appears Texas defaults to federal laws when it comes to full auto machine guns, but there is a license you can get for one though. I'd personally love to have one, just so I can clean it on my porch once per week and let anyone scoping out future targets for crime know that my house is NOT the house you want to hit...

BTW, our new castle law here is getting stretched further and further every day and it seems to be making an impact. You used to have to defend yourself only in your house, but now it's the entire property and your car. A few weeks ago someone chased a burglar from their house and down the sidewalk before they killed them. Still didn't get any charges filed and I personally support that 110%
i love texas. if i read much more email like this on city form i may move back.
thanks again.
property rights and self defence rights
i like it i love it
i cannt get enough of it.
stephen s
san diego ca
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 05:03 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times
I am not a 100% fanboy of the state, but there are some very good laws, along with the express lane to the needle of death...

the other good thing about the new castle law is it protects the occupant from lawsuits brought on by relatives of the person the occupant shot (there's no way I'll call that person a victim). Very few things upset me more than stupid lawsuits and relatives of law breaker that gets hurt while commiting a crime.. plus this seriously cuts down on the amount of tax dollars wasted on obvious criminals.. the person that was shot running away was defended by his father because he must've been in the wrong house... he allegedly was out making a cell phone call in the middle of the night, but couldn't get reception at the house he was staying at, so he went to the house that was directly behind it and got "lost" on this way back, across the back yard...
I have yet to open the door of a house I didn't belong in and not notice immediately that I'm in the wrong house. Yet this fools dad was using that as an excuse.. even though he had been staying at the friends house for several weeks.. and of course he was walking around the inside of the wrong house until someone noticed him..

Old 09-15-2007, 05:14 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
You cannot buy a firearm and have it shipped to your residence via mail or UPS unless you are a federal licensed dealer,that ended in the 60's after Kennedy's assasination.Black powder you can,or if you have C&R license,which deals with collectable firearms.If you buy a gun on the internet or out of state you must have it shipped to a licensed dealer..are we clear on this?

I read the article from Miami,my old hometown.I haven't seen a photo of the weapon used,I'd like to because these days any weapon used in a crime the media loves to label it a AK-47 even when it's not.

In technical terms,the rifles sold on the market today are copies of the AK,not selective fire,but most military's don't even use the full auto mode even if they have it.

You can legally own a full auto weapon,it's called having a class 3 license,and the weapon must have been manufactoed prior to 1986.Not cheap to buy though,most people can't afford to.

Old 09-15-2007, 05:22 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
You cannot buy a firearm and have it shipped to your residence via mail or UPS unless you are a federal licensed dealer,that ended in the 60's after Kennedy's assasination.Black powder you can,or if you have C&R license,which deals with collectable firearms.If you buy a gun on the internet or out of state you must have it shipped to a licensed dealer..are we clear on this?

I read the article from Miami,my old hometown.I haven't seen a photo of the weapon used,I'd like to because these days any weapon used in a crime the media loves to label it a AK-47 even when it's not.
Excuse me. You certainly can. I just had a Sako .270 shipped to me 2 weeks ago. Prior to that was a M1 Garand. I've had a dozen rifles shipped to me in the last 5 years. Perfectly legal. And, you do not need a FFL or any other permit.

No, you are the one that is not clear. Only pistols have to be shipped from dealer to dealer. Not rifles or shotguns.

Old 09-15-2007, 05:25 PM

building your own little militia there jgussler?

Old 09-15-2007, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
Excuse me. You certainly can. I just had a Sako .270 shipped to me 2 weeks ago. Prior to that was a M1 Garand. I've had a dozen rifles shipped to me in the last 5 years. Perfectly legal. And, you do not need a FFL or any other permit.

No, you are the one that is not clear. Only pistols have to be shipped from dealer to dealer. Not rifles or shotguns.
M1 Garands,as from the CMP yes this is true,but you must meet their criteria first and the rifles they sell fall under curio&relics.Regarding your Sako,I have never known this,I'll have to research this.I know I can't order a rifle not considered a C&R shipped to my door without having a FFL involved.Matter of fact I was in a gunstore in Austin Tx earlier this year looking at a Winchester M92 and the salesman told me I couldn't buy it unless I had it shipped to a FFL dealer in my homestate Fl.Now different states may have different laws I'm not aware of....I'll check it out.

Old 09-15-2007, 05:38 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
M1 Garands,as from the CMP yes this is true,but you must meet their criteria first and the rifles they sell fall under curio&relics.Regarding your Sako,I have never known this,I'll have to research this.I know I can't order a rifle not considered a C&R shipped to my door without having a FFL involved.Matter of fact I was in a gunstore in Austin Tx earlier this year looking at a Winchester M92 and the salesman told me I couldn't buy it unless I had it shipped to a FFL dealer in my homestate Fl.Now different states may have different laws I'm not aware of....I'll check it out.
Here's the box the Sako come in.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s226/Wyoming53/DSCN4109.jpg (broken link)

And here's the shipping label. And I do not have a FFL.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s226/Wyoming53/DSCN4111.jpg (broken link)

You don't happen to live in Texas or was purchasing in Texas do you? Texas has a law that they will only sell to a person that resides in Texas or a connecting state. Nobody else. So if you purchase there, you have to show proof of residency. If you purchase elsewhere and have to have it shipped there, they'll only ship to a FFL so they can verify that you are a residence. Some states are weird that way. Also, Texas will make you abide by their laws going the other way. Ship from Texas to Florida, they'll make you show residency prior to picking it up.

I live in Wyoming and got the Sako out of California from a Dealer. He shipped directly to my house.

Old 09-15-2007, 05:49 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,637,967 times
Here's something I don't understand about Texas - the state's laws are written in a way that SEEMS 'tough on crime,' but the murder rate of the state is actually ABOVE the national average, and is high to the point where it would provoke political a crisis (and a possible military deployment) in many other developed countries.

Is this just due to lack of enforcement of the laws in Texas? Lack of sufficient prison space to house inmates for crimes like illegal firearms possession? You'd think that a state like Texas should have a lower murder rate, but actually, it's quite high compared to many other states.

Old 09-15-2007, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
Here's the box the Sako come in.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s226/Wyoming53/DSCN4109.jpg (broken link)

And here's the shipping label. And I do not have a FFL.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s226/Wyoming53/DSCN4111.jpg (broken link)

You don't happen to live in Texas or was purchasing in Texas do you? Texas has a law that they will only sell to a person that resides in Texas or a connecting state. Nobody else. So if you purchase there, you have to show proof of residency. If you purchase elsewhere and have to have it shipped there, they'll only ship to a FFL so they can verify that you are a residence. Some states are weird that way. Also, Texas will make you abide by their laws going the other way. Ship from Texas to Florida, they'll make you show residency prior to picking it up.

I live in Wyoming and got the Sako out of California from a Dealer. He shipped directly to my house.
well dang,jgussler,I stand corrected then.My state FL,as well as Texas you cannot do that and I assumed all states were like that.2 years ago I bought a 1886 Winchester I saw on the website Guns America from a store in Arizona and they also said I had to have it shipped a FFL dealer in my state.

Old 09-15-2007, 05:55 PM

you talking about the actual numbers of murders? you have to remember that Texas is a huge state with a large population and also has three very large cities, two of them in the countries top 10..

all I know is I haven't heard of a home invasion here ever since the new castle law was announced and they seemed to happen nearly every day before.. you also hear a LOT more stories reported on the news about people defending their property and killing prowlers with no charges being filed. I don't read polls often, but if I was a criminal that would speak very loudly to me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies