Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2012, 04:52 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,202,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
You should actually choose your words much better. If he NEVER spoke English, he wouldn't have used SOME English words or phrases. The word you should have used, to make any sense, would have been he wasn't FLUENT in English, just like you aren't fluent in [p]olish, Russian, German, Spanish, or French. You don't seem to have a command on the English language either.
Are you the grammar and word usage police? Next you're going to be on my typos and spelling, too? Didn't I assimilate up to your standards?

FYI, you understand what I meant but you chose to be dickish. I guess I shouldn't expect more from you, seeing some of the nonsense you post.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:21 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
Other than the Catholic faith, Hispanics and Italians have nothing else in common.
Italian and Spanish are very close languages. Lots of macho attitudes too. Like macho and guido. Both cultures have a lot of emotion and so on.

Irish culture is by itself.

English, German, Swedish are pretty close in their ways of doing things, too.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:54 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,076,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
you understand what I meant but you chose to be dickish.

So, because you can't put together a cogent argument one is "suppose to understand what you mean" when you say two contradictory things, that makes me "dickish"? You can't take what you dish out.....interesting.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:12 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,669,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
HAHAHAHAHA.

Melting Pot? Give me a effin break.

And stop with your effin stereotypes. Hispanics typically do not want to speak English...get off it.

Go back to school and learn what American "Culture" is. It's white people who speak English and see themselves as the norm. Everyone else is different. Your ancestors fought hard to take over this land little by little and remove everyone in their way. You ancestors got a bunch of slaves to make them rich and build up this new land. So you feel a sense of entitlement. I get it.
But you do know it's all BS, right?

Melting pot is a tern invented by Liberal "open minded" hippy liberals.

We are NOT a melting pot. Not as long as whites like many on this board have a problem with people being different and embracing their cultures.

Hispanics are not the Irish, Germans and Jews of the 19th Century. Hispanics do not have to loose their culture to be in America or American.

GET OVER IT.
Proves the topic
Hispanics fail to assimilate.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Hispanics did what anglos did as well line for line. Hispanic culture us just as "white" as anglo so YOU get over it.

If most Hispanics here in the US legally don't wanna become American; they they should expect to be treated like dirt. So don't cry racism when hassled for speaking Spanish and acting macho, by the day more and more people DON'T care, it's as simple as that.
If they don't want to assimilate what does that say or show for us Americans that are assimilated? Its disrespectful & hostile to us.

Why bother to come here?

Old 05-14-2012, 07:22 AM

249 posts, read 194,052 times
Really, they don't assimilate? Well, I have not noticed that in the US. Sorry, but most of neighbors back in California spoke English. Most of my university mates were middle class suburbanites. A huge percentage of them were Hispanic (at least 30%) so I really don't see how they have not assimilated.

In Korea, where I am now, they view themselves as American and speak English around other Hispanics (not Spanish). From my perspective, I find the whole argument that assimilation has not occurred rather comical, farcical even.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Proves the topic
Hispanics fail to assimilate.
In that case the Irish failed to assimilate and African Americans failed to assimilate. Hipsters failed to assimilate. Punks failed to assimilate. Asians failed to assimilate. Cajuns failed to assimilate. Isn't it possible that American culture is not as homogeneous as say Korean or Japanese culture, but rather it is more heterogeneous given the diverse backgrounds and large geographical expanse it covers?

Old 05-14-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
Ok so what about the Hispanics that ARE legal but still want to maintain their culture
Do they deserve to be treated like dirt? Honestly America is supposed to be accepting or at leastolerant..... In my opinion NO one deserves to be treated like dirt unless they have done something that shuns them from society. That kind of mentality is horrible.
Why are they accepting to America culture? They are coming here not the other way around.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulseoul View Post
In that case the Irish failed to assimilate and African Americans failed to assimilate. Hipsters failed to assimilate. Punks failed to assimilate. Asians failed to assimilate. Cajuns failed to assimilate. Isn't it possible that American culture is not as homogeneous as say Korean or Japanese culture, but rather it is more heterogeneous given the diverse backgrounds and large geographical expanse it covers?
How?

What language do AA speak?
Is there translation for them in stores restrooms etc? Do they wave flags from different countries in Africa?

Old 05-14-2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
How?

What language do AA speak?
Is there translation for them in stores restrooms etc? Do they wave flags from different countries in Africa?
Really, there's no distinct culture? Language is the only measure of assimilation, and therefore by extension culture? You do realize that language is yet one means of assimilation. A person from Nigeria may speak the same language as an American, but the culture is completely different. Language is yet one aspect of culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies