Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2012, 12:20 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,684,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Believe me it's not that hard at all.
Explain.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:03 PM

160 posts, read 311,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
If they knew Mandarin I would speak Mandarin, if not I would speak English.
I would have assimilated. Mandarin would have been my language.
Sorry, I don't believe you.

Quote:
Some do speak English as their first language, but many do not as the original post states many do not assimilate going into the 3rd generation.
Did you even read the Pew report or did you just read a summary from the trusted source on all things Hispanic, Tom Tancredo?

Here's an illuminating graphic taken from Pew's report:

Quote:
There are schools that are teaching only in Spanish. Bilingual is usually and mostly spanish rather than 50/50.
'There are schools'...yes there are also schools that teach in French, Mandarin, etc. What's your point? Public schools are taught in English.

Quote:
Many TV shows are all in Spanish.

That is not assimilation
Spanish language media is consumed by mostly 1st generation Hispanics, which is a large market in this country. Take it up with the media corporations who profit from that market. Young Hispanics who grew up in the US watch and consume mainstream English language media like any other young person in the US.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:18 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,861,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
People who hate Hispanics don't care, they will hate Hispanics no matter how proficient their English is.
Absolutely!
I didn't realise how paranoid, neurotic whith huge complexes that some have here and absolutely NO tolerance for anyone who do not fit into the white, christian, English speaking, testosterone filled, "rootin tootin" American male ideals that some feel is the only way that should be accepted to live in the USA..... Sounds like Russia, China and Iran aren't the only intolerant nations.
America's national language is English... not really sure why as other nations settled here before the English did, in fact the first permanent European settlement here was in Florida by the Spanish in 1565 and America was first reached by a Norse expedition led by Leif Ericson and the first lasting European contact by Christopher Columbus (Italian) ... so maybe Norse or Spanish should be the first language in the USA or really we should all be speaking a native American language as America really is their Country.
No matter how we feel........ English is the language of the United States of America and paranoia can be the only reason for any kind of argument against anyone speaking their national tongue here.... I lived in Spain for a while and there was NEVER any kind of resentment against me speaking English............ we have a lot to learn here.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:20 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,684,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrocrag View Post

Did you even read the Pew report or did you just read a summary from the trusted source on all things Hispanic, Tom Tancredo?

Here's an illuminating graphic taken from Pew's report:

'There are schools'...yes there are also schools that teach in French, Mandarin, etc. What's your point? Public schools are taught in English.

Spanish language media is consumed by mostly 1st generation Hispanics, which is a large market in this country. Take it up with the media corporations who profit from that market. Young Hispanics who grew up in the US watch and consume mainstream English language media like any other young person in the US.
Quote:
You don't need to. You don't believe in assimilation.

Quote:
My link from the PEW report shows differently from yours if you bothered to check. It validates the Original post. More than half don't assimilate or don't want to.

Quote:

Recently a public school in CA started teaching in Spanish only.

Quote:
Spanish language media is consumed by mostly 1st generation Hispanics, which is a large market in this country. Take it up with the media corporations who profit from that market. Young Hispanics who grew up in the US watch and consume mainstream English language media like any other young person in the US
Provide source for misinformation

Old 04-23-2012, 01:22 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,872,884 times
Quote:
You don't know Spanish when you hear it?
Well, I don't like to shoot in the dark. Precision is key. To me "to know Spanish" would be to at least understand it, and that goes beyond just recognizing a language.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:44 PM

160 posts, read 311,798 times
Quote:
You don't need to. You don't believe in assimilation.
No, I just don't believe you'd speak Mandarin to an American in China, knowing full well you're both native English-speakers. It isn't a matter of assimilation but normal human behavior.

Quote:
Recently a public school in CA started teaching in Spanish only.
Name of the school in CA? There's been a well regarded public elementary school in Miami that's been bilingual (English/Spanish) since the 1960's.

Quote:
My link from the PEW report shows differently from yours if you bothered to check. It validates the Original post. More than half don't assimilate or don't want to.

Provide source for misinformation
My source is the Pew report that you obviously haven't bothered to read and have chosen to base your arguments instead on a skewed summary provided by Tom Tancredo. Here's a link to the full report: When Labels Don't Fit: Hispanics and Their Views of Identity

And here's the relevent graphic re: Hispanics & the media they consume:

Last edited by aggrocrag; 04-23-2012 at 02:01 PM..

Old 04-23-2012, 06:33 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,940,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
People who hate Hispanics don't care, they will hate Hispanics no matter how proficient their English is.
Savior Faire: PROVE that people on this thread hate "Hispanics" cause they're Hispanic, please. Unless YOU think a Hispanic is always illegal. Many of us DON'T like illegal aliens; not hate 'em but don't like 'em. There's a difference.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
It doesn't matter, people can do what they want.
If what they're doing is legal, yes.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:14 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,212,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Savior Faire: PROVE that people on this thread hate "Hispanics" cause they're Hispanic, please. Unless YOU think a Hispanic is always illegal. Many of us DON'T like illegal aliens; not hate 'em but don't like 'em. There's a difference.
Thread is NOT about illegals. For someone to assimilate I believe it is implied they are legal.

So you could take your hate... sorry, your dislike of illegal somewhere else.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Thread is NOT about illegals. For someone to assimilate I believe it is implied they are legal.

So you could take your hate... sorry, your dislike of illegal somewhere else.
My screw up there about the illegal alien thing. But Savior should back up his comment about "hating" Hispanics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies