Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2012, 07:27 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,669,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrocrag View Post
I can speak English perfectly fine and if I choose to I'll speak Spanish all day long (in public even!) when I'm home in Miami, thankfully we have that choice in this country. Maybe you'd a prefer to live in a country with laws that forbid that?
Its not about just choosing to speak Spanish. Its being respectful and common courtesy if you know the country's language.

It would be disrespectful of me to talk English & I know Spanish all day out in public in Mexico in which they speak Spanish.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:59 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,198,524 times
It doesn't matter, people can do what they want.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:03 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Where in the law does it say that?
The original SB1070 had it in there. When it caught the eye of the Feds Brewer had it changed:

Quote:
PHOENIX — Gov. Jan Brewer signed into law Friday several changes legislators had made to Senate Bill 1070.
One removes the option of police to use race, ethnicity or national origin as a factor to decide whether there is "reasonable suspicion'' to determine if someone is in this country illegally.
Read more: Brewer signs SB 1070 changes | brewer, changes, phoenix - News - YumaSun

Old 04-23-2012, 08:24 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,292,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I have never posted false data on legal immigation. I have always provided a link for proof. Why shouldn't we reduce immigration from Hispanic countries. You have a problem with diversity? This will just be another question that you will refuse to answer though, won't it?
I'd say that 99% of your posts are nothing but nonsense which can be commonly found on stormfront.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
The original SB1070 had it in there. When it caught the eye of the Feds Brewer had it changed:

Read more: Brewer signs SB 1070 changes | brewer, changes, phoenix - News - YumaSun

But its not in there as current law.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:35 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
Quote:
But its not in there as current law.
Yeah but AZ's reps wanted it and we all know Sheriff Joe is still doing it.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:36 AM

160 posts, read 311,239 times
Quote:
Its not about just choosing to speak Spanish. Its being respectful and common courtesy if you know the country's language.

It would be disrespectful of me to talk English & I know Spanish all day out in public in Mexico in which they speak Spanish.
You're telling me if you and your extended family moved to Mexico tomorrow you would speak with each other in Spanish rather than English if you were all at a restaurant together? Give me a break. I do find it amusing that you have a problem with Hispanics not learning English, yet you also have a problem with Hispanics who CAN speak English but who choose to speak Spanish as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It should not take 4 generations to learn English -- other groups learn English the first generation. Why the delay for just this one group?

Keep in mind many Americans are 4th generation and their families are not just now learning English. Hispanics are being encouraged to hold on to their own country's cultures and languages and even citizenship.

I live in a hispanic region and I've lived in areas that had other predominate groups and in those other regions, parents encouraged their kids to learn English but you see much resistance to that here.
I attended middle schools and high schools that were between 90%-95% Hispanic. I never met a young Hispanic who grew up in the US who didn't speak English. The only young Hispanics who prefer Spanish or don't speak English well are the ones who recently immigrated or who came to this country in their early teens. Young Hispanics even stigmatize those who they see as less Americanized or who don't speak English, "ref" & "reffy" (as in refugee) is a common insult in Miami.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Yeah but AZ's reps wanted it and we all know Sheriff Joe is still doing it.
Provided proof

Old 04-23-2012, 08:47 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,292,202 times
Quote:
You're telling me if you and your extended family moved to Mexico tomorrow you would speak with each other in Spanish rather than English if you were all at a restaurant together? Give me a break. I do find it amusing that you have a problem with Hispanics not learning English, yet you also have a problem with Hispanics who CAN speak English but who choose to speak Spanish as well.

I attended middle schools and high schools that were between 90%-95% Hispanic. I never met a young Hispanic who grew up in the US who didn't speak English. The only young Hispanics who prefer Spanish or don't speak English well are the ones who recently immigrated or who came to this country in their early teens. Young Hispanics even stigmatize those who they see as less Americanized or who don't speak English, "ref" & "reffy" (as in refugee) is a common insult in Miami.
People who hate Hispanics don't care, they will hate Hispanics no matter how proficient their English is.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:

Your putting words in my mouth.

I said I would speak the language of the country I am living in if I knew the language. Its common courtesy.

I don't have a problem with others speaking another language.
Its about hostility and outright refusal to speak English when they know it.

Its insulting

A man who gave testimony in Spanish before a Texas State Senate committee Monday was told by a Republican lawmaker that using his native tongue is “insulting” if he also knows how to speak English.

texas senator tells mexican to "speak english" - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies