Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 05:18 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
I was in Houston when the first shuttle was en route to Florida, to setup for its first launch. The 747 flew low over the city so we could have a good view. A 747 is an awesome aeroplane in itself, so much the more impressive with a shuttle attached on top.
I feel privileged to have been at the Space Center for 3 launches.
what a rush
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 08:52 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,080,222 times
I have never seen the Federal government move so quickly on a project to end anything. They have ships and aircraft in moth ball fleets for decades. But they worked at brake neck speed to disable, disassemble and move the shuttles so they could never be used again.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:07 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,853,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Since you asked.

Space Shuttle program
Since you failed to post the following statement...

Quote:
The shuttle program, which was scheduled for mandatory retirement in 2011, saw the final launch with Atlantis launching on July 8, 2011, in accord with the directives President George W. Bush issued on January 14, 2004 in his Vision for Space Exploration.[9] The shuttle's planned successor was to be Project Constellation with its Ares I and Ares V launch vehicles and the Orion Spacecraft; however, in early 2010 the Obama administration asked Congress to instead endorse a scaled-back plan with heavy reliance on the private sector.
Of course now you'll completely ignore that and you'll shift gears by asking why the GOP hates the private sector and wants bigger government via NASA... which of course is completely ignorant but expected.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:09 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I've lived in FL for over 20 years, and never failed to marvel at the miracle of engineering that was the shuttle as I stood out in my back paddock to watch it launch.
Just being able to go outside and watch it was a miracle unto itself to me.
I can't believe a state that can launch the Space Shuttle would be dumb enough to vote for Jeb Bush.

To me that is more amazing than the moon landing.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:12 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Really will be missed in FL.

“Bittersweet,†said Discovery's last commander, Steve Lindsey, “is an overused word, but it is sad.â€
It certainly will be missed in FL, because about 4,000 jobs went with it. In addition to the domino effect that all those NASA jobs have on other industries.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:44 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I've lived in FL for over 20 years, and never failed to marvel at the miracle of engineering that was the shuttle as I stood out in my back paddock to watch it launch.
Just being able to go outside and watch it was a miracle unto itself to me.
I lived too far south to see it launch, but we did get to see it flying over head, way up there, on, I believe, the very last flight. (Not meaning this one described by the OP in the fly by.) It might have been the second to last...regardless, we all stopped working. We all looked up and stared and watched it until it was completely out of sight. It is/was most definitely fascinating.

Have taken a few trips to Kennedy Space Center and it never got old. Never.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:48 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Lazenby View Post
So what space vehicle do we have to carry a astronaut to the space station or do we have anything from NASA in development?
Nothing ready to fly right now, but that wasn't going to happen anyway, even if Constellation had continued as planned. That's the result of decisions made ages, probably decades, ago. Nobody wanted to step up and say "the Shuttle may not be the greatest thing ever", even as its weaknesses became clear.

But FWIW, Lockheed Martin is building a modified version of the Constellation capsule (named Orion MPCV), first unmanned launch in 2013, manned launch in 2016 - if all goes well.

Space-X is a bit further along with 2 unmanned orbital launches of their Dragon capsule. They'll get more flight experience with unmanned supply runs to the ISS - and for the record, they don't let any Tom, Dick and Harry dock with the ISS.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:50 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,858,478 times
NASA is turning its focus to Global Warming.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:09 AM

Quote:
If the Space Station at full capacity with astronauts and cosmonauts was to have a severe problem and had to leave, how many available space vehicles are on the ground at readiness to go rescue them if it was called for?
They have a Russian space capsule docked at the space station full time in case such a need arises for evacuation.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Yes but can it hold a full compliment of the ISS crew?
It would be kinda pointless if it didnt..
A bit of research comes up with =
Quote:
Since there are only three astronauts on the space station at any given time, all three could evacuate via the Soyuz craft,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies