Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 01:54 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times

Advertisements

May this day, the most anticipated and holy day of your liturgical year, be filled with blessings to you and your family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 02:16 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,198,524 times
Yes, I'm so thankful for all of these traffic lights, police, affordable healthcare for all the people that can't be rich, and a plethora of other things.

I'm not a baby boomer, so I don't see the logic in lowering taxes for myself, borrowing money, then complaining when the party is over.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:18 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
Yes, I'm so thankful for all of these traffic lights, police, affordable healthcare for all the people that can't be rich, and a plethora of other things.

I'm not a baby boomer, so I don't see the logic in lowering taxes for myself, borrowing money, then complaining when the party is over.
Are you thankful for me writing a hefty check to the United States Treasury to pay for the Fraud, Waste, and Abuse that liberals refuse to hold this government accountable for? Doesn't that fit in with liberals' ongoing theme of hatred for the successful?

Better yet, did you get a refund? If so, can you logically claim you paid for any of the things you trumpet?

Old 04-17-2012, 02:33 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Are you thankful for me writing a hefty check to the United States Treasury to pay for the Fraud, Waste, and Abuse that liberals refuse to hold this government accountable for? Doesn't that fit in with your ongoing theme of hatred for the successful?
You've got this all wrong. We would gladly work to reduce waste and stupidity, but that is never addressed. It is always cutting what you don't want and keeping what you do. The Ryan budget is a wet dream for corporations and a hose job for everyone else.

With the retirement of many boomers, we should be in a great place to discuss reducing redundant positions, administrative stupidity,etc. I would be all for it. I don't know why we have so many agencies duplicating services and not even being aware of the others are doing. But frankly, I have never seen any bipartisan effort to reduce waste and fraud. It is always the same government is bad, except the military, and private sector is good bs.

And for all the whining, it is not that bad of a deal.

My wife and I just paid an effective tax rate of 8.66% ($9k) on $103k. BFD. Why did I get such a cakewalk? Because I have one kid,with some child care costs, a $200k mortgage, a bunch of pre-tax 401k contributions, and $600 in student loan interest. That is a friggin bargain by any standards, and I really don't have that many deductions. Such low tax rates cannot possibly pay for the services and infrastructure our family uses.

I think most of the antitax fetishists are just perpetual whiners. I could afford to have my taxes raised 5% with almost no effects whatsoever, and most people could do the same. Especially those with higher incomes. If we did that and cut the government by 10%, we would be debt free. But I don't expect to hear anything except squealing and whining from the folks here over the best tax rates in the western world.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:38 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,198,524 times
Quote:
Are you thankful for me writing a hefty check to the United States Treasury to pay for the Fraud, Waste, and Abuse that liberals refuse to hold this government accountable for? Doesn't that fit in with liberals' ongoing theme of hatred for the successful?

Better yet, did you get a refund? If so, can you logically claim you paid for any of the things you trumpet?
There's abuse everywhere. Good luck on your overhaul of a system that's been solidified in society for centuries. It's not going to happen overnight, but you have to fix that before you randomly lower taxes.

I did get a refund, and no, I don't know where every single penny went and I don't care because my greed doesn't extend that far.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:39 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Grrrrrrr, one of our investments called JUST NOW wanting to know where to send a 1099 from last year.
WTF?
So, back to the accountants we go.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:40 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
You've got this all wrong. We would gladly work to reduce waste and stupidity, but that is never addressed. It is always cutting what you don't want and keeping what you do. The Ryan budget is a wet dream for corporations and a hose job for everyone else.

With the retirement of many boomers, we should be in a great place to discuss reducing redundant positions, administrative stupidity,etc. I would be all for it. I don't know why we have so many agencies duplicating services and not even being aware of the others are doing. But frankly, I have never seen any bipartisan effort to reduce waste and fraud. It is always the same government is bad, except the military, and private sector is good bs.

And for all the whining, it is not that bad of a deal.

My wife and I just paid an effective tax rate of 8.66% ($9k) on $103k. BFD. Why did I get such a cakewalk? Because I have one kid,with some child care costs, a $200k mortgage, a bunch of pre-tax 401k contributions, and $600 in student loan interest. That is a friggin bargain by any standards, and I really don't have that many deductions. Such low tax rates cannot possibly pay for the services and infrastructure our family uses.

I think most of the antitax fetishists are just perpetual whiners. I could afford to have my taxes raised 5% with almost no effects whatsoever, and most people could do the same. Especially those with higher incomes. If we did that and cut the government by 10%, we would be debt free. But I don't expect to hear anything except squealing and whining from the folks here over the best tax rates in the western world.
Excellent post!

The points that are very good:
"We would gladly work to reduce waste and stupidity, but that is never addressed."
Only hate of Obama is addressed.
"I think most of the antitax fetishists are just perpetual whiners."

Old 04-17-2012, 02:41 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post

What you mean to say is that someone else is paying for it and not you... everybody likes it but who is going to pay for it... I see, that's strange, why is every liberal not holding their hands to volunteer to pay for it...

5,522 posts, read 10,200,392 times
Quote:

You mean like the DoD, which is arguably rife with the most fraud, waste and abuse of any Department, yet is protected by every right wing wingnut on the planet?

475 posts, read 508,244 times
For us that are lucky to have rich daddies, we dont care about taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies