Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2012, 04:55 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,965,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by needTXinfo View Post
Who only came out of the woodwork weeks after the fact, after pressure from Al Sharpton and co. Her word is worse than useless.

What's more, from what we DO know she said, it sounds like pure speculation on her part.
The phone records show that they were on the phone at the time of the shooting.
[url=http://www.actionnewsjax.com/content/topstories/story/Timeline-could-be-critical-in-Trayvon-Martin-case/d5W0hP_OeUC_jxIRGCkIGQ.cspx]Timeline could be critical in Trayvon Martin case|ActionNewsJax.com | Jacksonville News, Weather, Sports | WTEV-TV[/url]

At 6:54 p.m., Trayvon received a phone call on his cell from his girlfriend. Phone records show they talked for 18 minutes. Towards the end of the conversation, Trayvon said he was being followed.

At 7:00, Zimmerman called police to report a suspicious person. The dispatcher told him not to follow that person.

Twelve minutes later, Trayvon's cell phone conversation was dropped. His girlfriend tried calling him back. But five minutes later, at 7:17, police arrived to find Trayvon dead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
And she's not really trayvons girlfriend.
Sure, every 17 year old talks to the wrong number for 18 minutes. I'm sure now you'll say "she was his dealer!"

Old 04-22-2012, 04:57 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,418,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I was stunned when their basis for charging Zimmerman was that he "profiled" Trayvon. As far as I know profiling is not illegal. It clearly shows these charged are trumped as I predicted they would be.
I think it's silly to assume that the State has disclosed their entire case at this point. I could be wrong, yet, I think they have not. That is what discovery is all about, and the discovery process takes months. If they revealed everything already, there would be no need for discovery. So far all that has been released is the affidavit and some information in a bail hearing.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:59 PM

179 posts, read 156,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I don't ever preach religion to people, and I honestly don't care if you are a Christian, Jew, Muslim, Buddhist, Atheist or practice Voodoo, but when I read something like this, I get a twinge in my stomach, since I'd like to believe that everyone has some good in him.

Even if someone broke into my house and I had to kill him in self defense (and I'm not saying that's what Zimmerman did, so please don't misquote me) I would feel terrible about taking a human life. I will never understand your type of reasoning. I wish hate were a flower, a color or at least something tangible. Then someone could show it to me and I'd comprehend it better.

Nobody said Zim didn't feel bad about it. But that doesn't mean he should be sorry for defending his life.

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-22-2012 at 05:59 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 04-22-2012, 05:03 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,418,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
I say this case either gets dismissed at the immunity hearing or if it goes to trial GZ is found Not Guilty...
I would say that's a rather premature view. Do you think the State has revealed its entire case at this point? You seem to know a lot about courts and how they operate, so I'm wondering why you would think that at this time all the State's evidence is out in the public? I'm of the opinion that substantially more evidence will be presented at the immunity hearing, and there will be information which the public has not heard yet.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:05 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,448,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
And she's not really trayvons girlfriend.
I always thought she was some random girl he talked to or a school friend. Not necessarily his girlfriend.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:07 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,448,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
I think it's silly to assume that the State has disclosed their entire case at this point. I could be wrong, yet, I think they have not. That is what discovery is all about, and the discovery process takes months. If they revealed everything already, there would be no need for discovery. So far all that has been released is the affidavit and some information in a bail hearing.
We'll see. The charging docs were extremely weak no detail about the "struggle". They admit under oath to not knowing who started the fight a crucial piece of information if they hope to convict Zimmerman.

Also greater legal minds across the political spectrum have chimed in that the prosecution's case is unbelievably weak and some have gone as far as to say it is unethical.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Why do you think that the State would reveal its entire case in a bail hearing? They wouldn't, and most likely did not do so. Bail hearings are to determine the risk of flight if the defendant is not locked up.
Exactly! I watched a couple of stations after the bond hearing. I've mentioned before that as many as 6 or 7 different attorneys disagreed with each other. Every state has different laws. Also every judge, prosecutor and jury is different.

One thing I heard a lot was criticism of the prosecution. One attorney said that the prosecutor was unethical and in violation of Florida statutes by not presenting exculpatory evidence (referring to those bloody photos) Then a former Florida State Attorney argued that (a) the photos have not been authenticated (b) she doesn't have to present any evidence that the defense already has and (c) the prosecution does not have to reveal evidence at a bond hearing, as you already posted.

The only evidence that would keep a judge from granting bail is if Zimmerman is a danger to the community. If I'm correct, I remember seeing a long list of conditions of his bail including an ankle monitor, checking with the police every 3 days, a strict curfew, no guns, alcohol, etc. Bail isn't uncommon in a 2nd degree murder case, not in Florida.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
We'll see. The charging docs were extremely weak no detail about the "struggle". They admit under oath to not knowing who started the fight a crucial piece of information if they hope to convict Zimmerman.

Also greater legal minds across the political spectrum have chimed in that the prosecution's case is unbelievably weak and some have gone as far as to say it is unethical.
Yes, as I just wrote, I heard that too. (didn't see your post at the time) However, on the other hand, I've heard arguments defending the prosecution.

This is a little sad and scary too. I mean, I live in Florida and I'm watching a lot of attorneys who can't agree on the law or even how a bail hearing should be handled.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:16 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,200,162 times
Quote:
I would say that's a rather premature view. Do you think the State has revealed its entire case at this point? You seem to know a lot about courts and how they operate, so I'm wondering why you would think that at this time all the State's evidence is out in the public? I'm of the opinion that substantially more evidence will be presented at the immunity hearing, and there will be information which the public has not heard yet.
You're absolutely correct that the state is not required to reveal the entire case at this point, but based on the lead investigator's testimony (under oath at the bond hearing) it would seem to me that the state has very little evidence to support a 2nd degree murder charge. If more evidence comes to light in court (not the media) to support the charge, I may change my position.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
I always thought she was some random girl he talked to or a school friend. Not necessarily his girlfriend.
Now we're getting a little silly, aren't we? He's 17 and she's 16. She called him on her cell phone and they chatted for 18 minutes. He's hundreds of miles away in Sanford, clear across the state. Do you think she was a telemarketer or taking a survey?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.