Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2012, 06:13 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,273,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Also do you have a link to the call where he said that he thought he was a teenager?
Zimmerman 911 Call Transcript – Trayvon Martin « Phoebe's Detention Room

Quote:
911 dispatcher:
How old would you say he is?
Zimmerman:
He’s got something on his shirt. About like his late teens.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:15 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,450,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Now we're getting a little silly, aren't we? He's 17 and she's 16. She called him on her cell phone and they chatted for 18 minutes. He's hundreds of miles away in Sanford, clear across the state. Do you think she was a telemarketer or taking a survey?
By random I mean some girl he was chatting up. I don't mean they were strangers.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:17 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,450,901 times
So late teens which could mean a day shy of 20 is vastly different from say 24,25, or 26 which is what one could imply from Zimmerman's statement on the bail hearing is that great of a difference. Are you prepared to try him for perjury?

Old 04-22-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
By random I mean some girl he was chatting up. I don't mean they were strangers.
Again.....it matters why?

Old 04-22-2012, 06:36 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,200,477 times
"I am sorry for the loss of your son," Zimmerman said after taking the witness stand. "I did not know how old he was. I thought he was a little younger than I am. I did not know if he was armed or not."

George Zimmerman At Bond Hearing Apologizes To The Martin Family - YouTube

GZ might have thought at first TM was "in his late teens" but it is quite possible and not unrealistic for him to have changed his mind about TM's age once they were face to face.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:56 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,419,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
"I am sorry for the loss of your son," Zimmerman said after taking the witness stand. "I did not know how old he was. I thought he was a little younger than I am. I did not know if he was armed or not."

GZ might have thought at first TM was "in his late teens" but it is quite possible and not unrealistic for him to have changed his mind about TM's age once they were face to face.
If the State chooses to try to impeach Zimmerman, they will most likely have a number of contradictory and/or inconsistent prior statements to use as well as the above. Zimmerman can certainly say that he changed his mind or made a mistake, but then it will be up to a jury to decide his credibility.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:56 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,968,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I think that he made it clear that he was addressing the Martin family when he was making his bogus apology. My question to you is will they be able to use that in court when it comes to his credibility. Also do you have a link to the call where he said that he thought he was a teenager?
It's in the original 911 call. That's been posted all over the internet, on City-Data about 500 times and on the Sanford Police web site. Some versions have been edited, so the only reliable source is the police site, but every 911 tape has been removed from public access as requested by Zimmerman's attorney.

Here, I found this transcript.

[url]https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/326700-full-transcript-zimmerman.html[/url]

Sorry if I sounded argumentative. I just get frustrated sometimes. Hope this helps.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post

I'm not sure what you're saying - that Zimmerman initially thought, correctly, that Trayvon was in his late teens but that when they came face to face, that he actually thought Trayvon was in his mid-twenties....at least?

I'm not sure why he would even mention it on the stand if he didn't think that by changing that part of his story, it maybe justified his actions, and that by so doing, that it will help him?

What it does do is to prove that he's capable of lying.

Just as self-serving as that canned apology that came almost two months after the fact.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:57 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,348,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Is this Carl guy a lawyer?
Carl Hiaasen

Old 04-22-2012, 07:03 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,200,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
If the State chooses to try to impeach Zimmerman, they will most likely have a number of contradictory and/or inconsistent prior statements to use as well as the above. Zimmerman can certainly say that he changed his mind or made a mistake, but then it will be up to a jury to decide his credibility.
If GZ testifies at trial to explain what he meant...now I would assume since he took the stand at this hearing (which I'm sure distressed his attorney) he will take the stand at trial (if it gets to that point). The jury would have to be shown current pictures of Trayvon (not pictures of a 12y/o) that may be a deciding factor as well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies