Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2012, 11:07 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,938,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
I'm uncertain as to the importance of whether George Zimmerman had an official capacity or not in terms of the criminal trial; it may be of greater importance if or when there is a civil case brought by Martin's family. It's very clear from all posted sources that "Neighborhood Watch" means just that: You watch and report. As for it being Zimmerman's duty, being a neighborhood watchman doesn't fall under the Good Samaritan Act, as that specifically refers to rendering aid to someone who's injured or ill.

Good Samaritans Law & Legal Definition
And that is something GZ did not do, according to witnesses.

U.S. News - Witness: Zimmerman 'never ... tried to help' Trayvon Martin

New Witness, Mary Cutcher Gives Her Account On Trayvon Martin Shooting (VIDEO) | Global Grind

Old 04-29-2012, 11:08 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,200,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
We both don't know what happened, but Zimmerman has a long history of having a hot temper. Even if we disregard his past record of domestic violence and assault, there were several incidents where he chased people and got into altercations.
I just have to mention that I don't consider his arrests|incidents that took place 7 years ago by an obvious immature 21 year old college student constitute "a long history of having a hot temper"...Now if he would have been arrested repeatedly and the injunction renewed that would IMO constitute a long history...the other incidents you mention...well that's just plain old fashioned HEARSAY...

Quote:
So why, in the same state where you need to be drug tested in order to feed your kids, is it so wrong to ask that a man who shoots an unarmed teenager be held accountable? I never said Zimmerman is guilty of murder and should spend his life in prison. Not once.

However, I do believe a thorough investigation should always be required when there is a shooting and the person responsible for it should be held accountable. If he can prove self defense, then I won't argue when he is acquitted. This case never should have become the media circus it is, but it's because of the way it was handled in the first place.
And BTW here's an update to the drug testing by Governor Tricky Ricky... "Judge Orders Injunction on Florida's Welfare|Food Stamp Drug Testing Law" it's been in effect for awhile...

I 100% agree with you in the last part of your post...

Old 04-29-2012, 11:08 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,865,608 times
Quote:
OMG, I have tried not to respond to your posts because of past disagreements, but haven't you ever heard of the term "Cop Killers?"

A hollow point bullet is used specifically to cause more injury. It spreads once it enters the body and causes more tissue & muscle to tear!
Again, you're astoundingly ignorant of the facts.

Hollow Point ammo and "Cop Killer" bullets are 2 very different things.

Last time I checked the point of shooting someone was to cause injury, I'm not aware of any time when you would want to shoot someone and not injure them.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,938,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
I just have to mention that I don't consider his arrests|incidents that took place 7 years ago by an obvious immature 21 year old college student constitute "a long history of having a hot temper"...Now if he would have been arrested repeatedly and the injunction renewed that would IMO constitute a long history...the other incidents you mention...well that's just plain old fashioned HEARSAY...

And BTW here's an update to the drug testing by Governor Tricky Ricky... "Judge Orders Injunction on Florida's Welfare|Food Stamp Drug Testing Law" it's been in effect for awhile...

I 100% agree with you in the last part of your post...
Oh, come on! You know how many links have been posted on these threads about Zimmerman's history of violence and volatility. No one is saying it was any one issue (though I loathe domestic violence perps, and IME they never change).

Old 04-29-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
OMG, I have tried not to respond to your posts because of past disagreements, but haven't you ever heard of the term "Cop Killers?"

A hollow point bullet is used specifically to cause more injury. It spreads once it enters the body and causes more tissue & muscle to tear!
Haha we were responding to each other's post at the same time...

I am aware that the hollow point causes significant internal injury, what I was referring to was that I didn't realize it's other purpose was to not exit the body and possibly hit an unintended person...

Old 04-29-2012, 11:13 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,023,304 times
Quote:
Sorry for all the editing. I am trying to fix the quotes.
Yes, I do. However, I accept your apology, although I completely disagree that a neighborhood watch group is the equivalent of hired security. We both don't know what happened, but Zimmerman has a long history of having a hot temper. Even if we disregard his past record of domestic violence and assault, there were several incidents where he chased people and got into altercations. Still, he deserves a fair trial. This is only a discussion board and will not influence the outcome. Why would he believe a crime was about to take place? Tell me! Nobody has given me a single reason.

I honestly don't believe George Zimmerman decided to chase Trayvon Martin and kill him in cold blood. I do, however, believe he made a very stupid decision and needs to be held accountable. All we hear today is that people need to be held accountable for this or that. In Florida, where the shooting took place (and I live) people who ask for assistance like Food Stamps have to be drug tested. The argument when Governor Scott signed that into law last year was that people need to start taking responsibility.

So why, in the same state where drug testing is required to feed your kids, is it so wrong to ask that a man who shoots an unarmed teenager be held accountable? I never said Zimmerman is guilty of murder and should spend his life in prison. Not once. However, I do believe a thorough investigation should always be required when there is a shooting and the person responsible for it should be held accountable. If he can prove self defense, then I won't argue when he is acquitted. This case never should have become the media circus it is, but it's because of the way it was handled in the first place.
I agree, and particularly with your last paragraph...many posters feel that way. It will certainly be helpful when we have access to more information, but that may take quite some time. Facing the process of the trial, the FBI investigation and the DoJ investigation, there will eventually be much more evidence made public. Until then, we can only wait patiently.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Oh, come on! You know how many links have been posted on these threads about Zimmerman's history of violence and volatility. No one is saying it was any one issue (though I loathe domestic violence perps, and IME they never change).
I know ad nauseum...

Old 04-29-2012, 11:14 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,228,596 times
Quote:
Why would he believe a crime was about to take place? Tell me! Nobody has given me a single reason.
I'm a 6'2" man, with some American-Indian ancestry. I've gotten pulled over many times by the police just walking down the street at night. And once was even at night in the rain. And he told me when he pulled me over that basically the reason he pulled me over was because no one would be walking around at 2 AM in the rain, unless they were up to no good.

What actually happened was that, my friend was supposed to come pick me up from work, but he never showed up and wouldn't answer his phone, so I walked home in the rain in the middle of the night. I certainly was already pissed off, and I didn't want to be hassled by the police. And while he was "checking all my information" to make sure I wasn't a criminal, I had to sit outside his police car in the rain and wait. Though, the police officer did end up driving me home in the end, which was nice. It was still annoying because he basically assumed I was a criminal.

Quote:
I honestly don't believe George Zimmerman decided to chase Trayvon Martin and kill him in cold blood. I do, however, believe he made a very stupid decision and needs to be held accountable.
I don't particularly think Zimmerman made a stupid decision. I mean, I remember being a delivery driver and the policy was that if someone came to rob you, that you should just hand them all the money without objection. I always said, if someone came to rob me, that I would tell them to **** off, and to go get a job. If I ended up dead, or if the other guy ended up dead, you might say that I made a stupid decision, that went against policy. But that is your opinion, and I still would have beat the **** out of anyone who tried to rob me, even though it wasn't even my money being robbed. It is just a matter of principle.

What if Zimmerman hadn't shot Martin, but rather Martin attacked Zimmerman, and then Zimmerman defended himself with his fists, and ended up killing Martin. Would that have been "second-degree murder"?

What is it that you think Zimmerman should be held accountable for exactly? And what kind of punishment does he deserve? Because I don't personally feel like he is responsible for anything, unless you can prove that Zimmerman attacked Martin first.

I always tell my nieces and nephews. A fight is only an argument until someone puts their hands on someone else. And whoever puts their hands on someone else first, is in the wrong.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 04-29-2012 at 11:27 PM..

9,949 posts, read 8,865,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
I know ad nauseum...
If you repeat something enough times some people might care eventually.

14,268 posts, read 18,966,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
I hate to be a nag, but are those hollow point bullets easy to buy at any gun supply store?
They used to be difficult to get because they were called "Cop Killers" in the 90s. However, they're sold in most states now. I think they are illegal in only one or two.

What's ironic is that they are banned by International Law, and cannot be used in war, but Joe Blow can buy one at the local ammo shop.

[url=http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2010/05/army-oks-hollow-point-bullets-base-shooting-ft-hood-military]Army OKs Hollow-Point Bullets | Mother Jones[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.