Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2012, 01:55 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,017,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
The 1st Amendment??? Huh?????
I know, I know...I meant the Bill of Rights. It took some time to figure out how to justify that slip up, and I almost got by with it. Everything else is as I meant it, however.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:58 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,943,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgal View Post
In the Katrina shooting , black cops were also involved in this heinous act.
I don't want to go off-topic, but why do you think that isn't racism? There are plenty of Black cops who profile other Blacks.

Edit: I won't go back and change a post that's already been quoted, but I guess I should have left that out of my comment. Still, I believe the people were shot because they were Black, even if 1 or 2 of the officers were Black. After all, genocide has been committed by people of the same race & nationality in many countries. Racism doesn't mean people can't hate others of their own race or religion.

This shows how long it sometimes takes for the justice system to work! The article is dated April, 4, 2012

[url=http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57409250-504083/hurricane-katrina-danziger-bridge-shootings-new-orleans-cops-to-be-sentenced-today/]Hurricane Katrina Danziger Bridge shootings: New Orleans cops to be sentenced today - Crimesider - CBS News[/url]

Okay,[URL="http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2012/04/5_ex-cops_convicted_in_danzige.html"] I found a photo[/URL].

Last edited by justNancy; 04-25-2012 at 02:35 PM..

Old 04-25-2012, 01:58 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,326,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I doubt if Zimmerman shot Martin because of racial tensions between Blacks and Hispanics, although he did send emails to neighborhood residents to be on the lookout for young, Black males he suspected of burglarizing homes.

However, it became a racial issue after the media painted a picture of a "White" man who killed a "Black" teenager. Also, were he a young, Black male like Trayvon Martin, he probably would have been arrested on Feb 26 and thrown in jail and the story wouldn't have made headline news. Martin's parents had every right to be upset and ask for help to get justice for their son. I also doubt if the police chief would have bothered to call the state attorney to meet late on a Sunday evening at the scene to discuss the charges if it was a Black on Black crime or even a Black on White crime. That just sounds very suspicious to me.

Sometimes it's not even about race but social class. I'm White, but sometimes people treat you differently if you are dressed better or driving an expensive car. Do you think if Natalee Holloway was a poor, homeless girl, she would have been on TV every night? She would have joined the group of runaways or abducted teenage girls who go missing all the time. During Katrina, 6 unarmed Blacks were killed for trying to cross a bridge to safety. One man was mentally disabled and shot in the back while running. Then he was stomped to death after he was shot and bleeding on the ground. So, yes, that's definitely racism. In fact, that common word doesn't seem to do that poor man justice.

I can't apply this same hatred to Zimmerman. Yes, he definitely profiled his victim, but we don't know what was in his mind at the time. The 911 call shows that he was sizing up Trayvon and believed he was a criminal. Profiling someone, that is, judging by what he's wearing, what he looks like, and how he's acting, isn't necessarily racism. OTOH, I still can't figure out why he thought Martin was "up to no good" since Martin was wearing what I think is age appropriate attire for a 17 year old (sweats, sneakers, hoodie) and talking on a cell phone. To me he probably would have looked like any other teenager walking around. So maybe his race had a lot to do with Zimmerman's decision to follow him, but it doesn't mean he's a hateful racist. I hope that makes sense to you.

Thanks Nancy, I believe that he was profiling Trayvon but I'm still not convinced that he was a racist. I also believed that if the family had not reached out for help the whole thing would have been swept under the rug. The interfering DA connection to the senior zimmerman and his involvement in this case should also be scutinized as well. Overall I'm glad that zimmerman got arrested but in the end all that he will be charged with is manslaughter

Old 04-25-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
I know, I know...I meant the Bill of Rights. It took some time to figure out how to justify that slip up, and I almost got by with it. Everything else is as I meant it, however.
Isn't the Bill of Rights the first 10 Amendments?

I'm confused, so perhaps I need to go back and read the posts again. I thought you were talking about Free Speech.

Freedom of Speech, Press, Religion and Petition
Right to keep and bear arms
Conditions for quarters of soldiers
Right of search and seizure regulated
Provisons concerning prosecution
Right to a speedy trial, witnesses, etc.
Right to a trial by jury
Excessive bail, cruel punishment
Rule of construction of Constitution
Rights of the States under Constitution

Old 04-25-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I really think zim got over, because he could have easily been drinking but no one tested him. Evenstar I like your scenario, but let me add one thing. At what time could zimmerman had simply flashed his gun or even shot Trayvon in a non-vital area? And I don't want hear that "it was the heat of the moment crap" either. I really believe that if he had just flashed the gun Trayvon proably would have backed off.

One more thing, this trial is going to bet ulgy and the only reason that it might go unnoticed if something else just as horrorific happens before then (americans have a short attention span). Why would I think this? Already the court has told everyone that what they heard "those f*ck*ng c**ns" was those f*ck*ng punks" I know what I heard. So now they want me to believe them or my lying ears? This trial has already been politized with careers in the balance.

That's a tough question. At this point it does appear that Zimmerman is a hothead. We know that witnesses heard the two arguing for a few minutes before the screaming for help began. This makes me wonder if Zimmerman wasn't trying to detain Trayvon, and Trayvon wasn't having any part of that. One possibility is that as the argument escalated, Zimmerman pulled out his weapon and Martin tried to disarm him before they fell to the ground. Another is that, once they were wrestling on the ground, Zimmerman was angry that he'd lost control of the situation and managed to get the gun up to fire it...it may even have been in the holster. I associate "in the heat of the moment" with someone reacting in a way that they normally wouldn't because of volatile circumstances, while Zimmerman has a history of volatility; some residents have said that he has a "Jeckyll and Hyde" personality. Maybe the "Hyde" half came out.

You're absolutely right, simetime...this is not going to be an easy trial. I suspect that the prosecution has much more evidence than has been even hinted at, or Corey wouldn't have gone with 2nd degree murder and jeopardized her political future. I have listened to that recording many times and, like you, I believe that it sounded like the first option; "c**ns" and "punks" sound nothing alike. We'll have to see what the FBI has to say, as I suspect that their equipment and experts are superior to what the state of Florida is working with...there are, after all, two investigations besides that of Florida. Frankly, I think that Zimmerman just
shot Martin as soon as he could once their argument became physical. He could have left his gun in the truck if his only intention was to watch and see where Trayvon went so he could advise the police of his whereabouts. I'm sure this is clear as mud, but I have yet to see or hear anything to indicate that Trayvon had been involved in anything even close to violence, unless you count football. Zimmerman, OTOH, has a proven history of aggression.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Isn't the Bill of Rights the first 10 Amendments?

I'm confused, so perhaps I need to go back and read the posts again. I thought you were talking about Free Speech.

Freedom of Speech, Press, Religion and Petition
Right to keep and bear arms
Conditions for quarters of soldiers
Right of search and seizure regulated
Provisons concerning prosecution
Right to a speedy trial, witnesses, etc.
Right to a trial by jury
Excessive bail, cruel punishment
Rule of construction of Constitution
Rights of the States under Constitution

LOL! Now we're all confused! My bad...I just meant that Trayvon had the right to "life, LIBERTY and the pursuit of happiness." In short, the right to go to the store and back without fear of death. I think that's the Declaration of Independence, actually. I knew what I meant, I just mucked it up. I'm blaming age.
If you check the thread, I've been posting since just after 3:30 a.m. My rear is dragging at this point...mea culpa. My errors don't cancel out the bulk of what I've posted. I'm going to nap...there's so much to discuss.

Last edited by Evenstar51; 04-25-2012 at 03:20 PM.. Reason: Numb brain after 12 hours of posting.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:57 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times
Rueters has a new article about Zimmerman and neighborhood background. Looks like Blacks were terrorizing the neighborhood.

George Zimmerman: Prelude to a shooting | Reuters

Quote:
On February 6, the home of another Twin Lakes resident, Tatiana Demeacis, was burglarized. Two roofers working directly across the street said they saw two African-American men lingering in the yard at the time of the break-in. A new laptop and some gold jewelry were stolen. One of the roofers called police the next day after spotting one of the suspects among a group of male teenagers, three black and one white, on bicycles.

Police found Demeacis's laptop in the backpack of 18-year-old Emmanuel Burgess, police reports show, and charged him with dealing in stolen property. Burgess was the same man Zimmerman had spotted on February 2.

Burgess had committed a series of burglaries on the other side of town in 2008 and 2009, pleaded guilty to several, and spent all of 2010 incarcerated in a juvenile facility, his attorney said. He is now in jail on parole violations.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
LOL! Now we're all confused! My bad...I just meant that Trayvon had the right to "life, LIBERTY and the pursuit of happiness." In short, the right to go to the store and back without fear of death. I think that's the Declaration of Independence, actually. I knew what I meant, I just mucked it up. I'm blaming age.
I know what you mean. I began writing shopping lists. The problem is that I forget the list. So now I need a note to remind me to take the note. Oh, then I need to remember not to leave it in the car!

Maybe you weren't talking about the First Amendment, but here is an interesting discussion on it, including decisions by the Supreme Court.

[url=http://www.uscourts.gov/EducationalResources/ClassroomActivities/FirstAmendment/WhatDoesFreeSpeechMean.aspx]What Does Free Speech Mean?[/url]

Old 04-25-2012, 03:37 PM

179 posts, read 156,763 times
In other news, turns out the latino peruvian Zimmerman is also part black.

George Zimmerman: Prelude to a shooting | Reuters

*Anxiously awaiting sanctimonious screeds from enraged Trayvon apologists about how blacks can be racist too*

This case is a joke, folks. I'm honestly tired of discussing it.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgal View Post
I wonder how many wittnesses will come forward all of a sudden with their take on the scene. Happens alot in jury trials. The coo coos who want their 15 sec of fame will say they saw something when they did not!
I believe that's already happened, but it's up to the prosecution and the defense to question them thoroughly. Remember the woman, Krystal, who accused George Anthony of having an affair with her? The defense was trying to give the jury "reasonable doubt" since she said on the stand he told her it was an accident that went too far. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. He denied having the affair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies