Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2012, 03:23 PM

2,119 posts, read 4,169,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
It's strange that I've made it through 61 years without killing a dog or a person and I haven't led a sheltered life.

Regarding a "prelude to a shooting," I had the opposite reaction, that is, the neighborhood's history only strengthens the prosecution's ability to demonstrate Zimmerman's goal in pursuing Martin. As he demonstrates in his 911 call, he was trying to prevent other would-be burglars from getting away. To me, this only proves he tried to detain Trayvon to prevent what he perceived to be a possible robbery. He told the police dispatcher, when asked for the location, that he was at "a cut-through" which means he left his vehicle and chased Martin down a path. After all, the body was found in a grassy area next to a path that leads to the townhouses, including the one in which Martin was staying. During the call, Zimmerman asked the police to call him and didn't want to meet a patrol car at one of the entrances. Why? If he said he'd be in a Dodge Durango next to the back gate, his claim that he was walking back to it would make sense to me. But he didn't. He asked if an officer could call him. Doesn't that mean he was still in pursuit and didn't know where he'd be when they arrived?

By the way, during the bond hearing he said he thought Martin was older. Not only did he tell the dispatcher he was a teenager, he called him "a kid." Many people haven't listened to the entire 911 call. After asking Zimmerman for his telephone and apartment number:

Zimmerman:

911 dispatcher:

OK, what’s your apartment number?

Zimmerman:

It’s a home. It’s 1950 – oh, crap, I don’t want to give it out – I don’t know where this kid is [inaudible]

So, not only does he call him a teenager once, he repeats "this kid" when giving his address to the dispatcher. I don't see how anyone can dispute this. Also, doesn't this prove he went looking for him? Why would he care that he lost sight of "the kid" if his job was finished? After all, he called 911, reported a suspicious person in the neighborhood, chased him and was told "we don't need you to do that." So why, when he was allegedly walking back to his car would he say in a frustrated tone, "I don't know where this kid is." He mumbled something after he said this, which is the "inaudible" part.

This is obviously a very frustrated man who has called the police dozens of times, drives around wearing a holster and a loaded 9mm gun just to go to Target. Forget his past arrest or domestic abuse charge. I want to be fair, so let's give him the benefit of the doubt and say he changed in 6 years. After all, he was only 21 or 22. But people are overlooking the plague of calls he made to the police, not only from his neighborhood, but from Publix, Kohl's, chasing people, pursuing a driver who, when the police arrived, said he was terrified Zimmerman was going to attack him.
I do think due to the rash of burglaries and the fact a recent one was an african american kid made GZ jump to a conclusion about TM that he might otherwise have not if the past burglaries by AA had not entered into the thought process of GZ.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:24 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,943,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Seems dense to me.
Only if you consider that to be "a rash." My home was burglarized once in 1999 and I lived in the same place for over 13 years until 2009.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgal View Post
I do think due to the rash of burglaries and the fact a recent one was an african american kid made GZ jump to a conclusion about TM that he might otherwise have not if the past burglaries by AA had not entered into the thought process of GZ.
I agree, which is why I said he probably is not a racist, but was profiling Martin based on his emails to residents. He repeatedly told them to look for Blacks who had been seen in the area. He referred to "young, Black males" in his newsletters to other residents. However, that's why we have paid law enforcement officers, and good neighbors "watch and report." Police profile people too, but Zimmerman is not a trained police officer, and Martin had no reason to answer his questions or to assume Zimmerman had any authority.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:27 PM

11,185 posts, read 6,511,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Yes, it does sound sensible, but it contradicts Zimmerman's story. I mean, which is it? He was either walking to his car immediately after the 911 call or he wasn't. Listen to the call or read the transcript. It sounds as if he planned to continue his pursuit.

George lived in the community. It's not New York City, it's a development of townhouses. He could have picked the clubhouse, the mailboxes or one of the gates. Why wouldn't he know where he'd be in a few minutes if he was headed back to his car? He was even able to give the 911 dispatcher the exact address of the clubhouse early in the call. "Meet me at the clubhouse" sounds sensible to me. I guess we all have different ideas of what makes sense.

When you listen to the 911 dispatcher, he tells George, who has lived there for years, that the police officer will meet him by the mailboxes. It's at 3:40 into the call. He could have met them at any number of spots. I lived in a larger community in 2011. There were 551 homes and sometimes I'd get lost when I first move there. However, I knew exactly where the clubhouse, the entrance, the pool area, tennis courts and other landmarks were in the community. It only makes sense to use one of these spots to meet law enforcement, that is, unless you plan to continue looking for someone who is "getting away." Notice that he first agrees ("yeah, that's fine") to meet the police next to the mailboxes and then quickly changes his mind.

911 dispatcher:

OK, do you just want to meet with them at the mailboxes then?

Zimmerman:

Yeah, that’s fine.

911 dispatcher:

Alright, George, I’ll let them know you’ll meet them at …

Zimmerman:

Could you have them call me and I’ll tell them where I’m at?
gz looking for a street sign and then heading back to his car is totally consistent with what he told the cops, according to Gilbreath.

Before the part of the transcript you quoted, the dispatcher asked, "Alright, what address are you parked in front of ?

You choose to believe gz changed from 'meet at mailboxes' to 'call me' because he wanted to pursue tm. I don't see evidence in transcripts to disbelieve gz.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:33 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,017,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
It's got absolutely nothing to do with what happened the night Trayvon was shot dead.

There are people on this thread will defend Zimmerman's actions because they're racially profiling that boy.

100% correct...people are choosing to blindly accept the excuses offered by someone who lied on the stand at the bond hearing. LMAO. They need to go read helenejen's thread about the people changing the locks on their son's new home who were held at gunpoint (AR-15s, no less) and then arrested by the police...there are a ton of great posts there about one's freedom to walk without being confronted by gun-toting thugs. Some people are unable to digest the fact that the murder of an innocent teen is a tragedy.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:11 PM

191 posts, read 242,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Shooting a gun at someone is a serious thing for most people. Life isn't a video game.

Your point actually helps Zimmerman. It shows that on some level he showed restraint while getting beaten.

As for your other questions they are irrelevant he's no officer he doesn't have to identify himself or that he has a gun. How come Trayvon couldn't keep his hands to himself?
Why couldn't Zimmerman have minded his business??

So, the girlfriend's account is completely irrelevant as well??

In what ways did Zimmerman show restraint when he shot a person in the chest?? Really??

Good point in pointing out that Zimmerman isn't a cop and that means that he has no right to follow and stalk a person that he deems suspicious. Alot of you people are co-signing on that, but I urge you to think again because it won't end well. You're going to follow the wrong person in the name of protecting 2 year old dvd players and you're going to end up or a murder charge or be murdered yourself.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:19 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,603,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Nope, Trayvon physically assaulted him. There was NO stalking, go brush up on the stalking law in FL. It has been posted plenty of times. Whatever the dispatcher said is irrelevant.

sad.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:36 PM

2,119 posts, read 4,169,530 times
I am surprised no one has said the obvious. IF indeed GZ had a black grandparent, doesn't that make him black? So is this now a black on black crime? I know he is referred to as a white hispanic however I thought if you had grandparents that were even part black then you were black too? I know a coworker who looks as white as I do but is 1/4 black so considers herself black!

Old 04-26-2012, 11:23 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,198,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgal View Post
I am surprised no one has said the obvious. IF indeed GZ had a black grandparent, doesn't that make him black? So is this now a black on black crime? I know he is referred to as a white hispanic however I thought if you had grandparents that were even part black then you were black too? I know a coworker who looks as white as I do but is 1/4 black so considers herself black!
When I heard his mother was from Peru, my first thought was that he might be part Afro Peruvian (descended from African slaves in Peru) I am part Afro Peruvian, I consider myself mixed...I will check off African, Hispanic, Other if asked on forms or a census, I tell people my full "nationality"...I have what is considered black features...my skin color is considered olive complected...if I'm in the sun any length of time I am darker than my light skin black friends...most white people when they first meet me think I'm white...most black people know I'm part black when they first meet me...

To answer your question, no it will never be considered a black on black crime...

I don't believe GZ is a racist, I believe he was an over zealous neighborhood watch guy who wanted to be the hero and made a tragic choice when he got out of his truck...

I believe that the police department did not handle this properly because Trayvon was a young black male and made their own assumptions, if they didn't look at him this way I believe the SPD would have made every attempt to find out who he was, i.e. check his cell phone, knock on doors all along that back corridor to find out if he lived or was staying there and from what I heard GZ's clothes were not secured as evidence nor was he tested for alcohol/drugs from what has been reported, the real racial profiling IMO was done by the cops...

Last edited by tiluha; 04-26-2012 at 11:33 PM..

Old 04-26-2012, 11:46 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,603,163 times
I still dont understand how GZ was allowed to carry a gun with this prior record.
Has anyone posted any facts on this, other than that sanford covered it up?

George Zimmerman, Son of a Retired Judge, Has 3 Closed Arrests | Rolling Out - Black News, Celebrity Videos, Entertainment, Business & Politics

Old 04-26-2012, 11:51 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,198,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
I still dont understand how GZ was allowed to carry a gun with this prior record.
Has anyone posted any facts on this, other than that sanford covered it up?
Because he was never "convicted" of a felony...his charges were lowered to a misdemeanor and "expunged" when he completed what was required...Sanford never covered anything up, his charges were in Orange County...Sanford's in Seminole County and you're right it's a very sad case...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies