Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2012, 01:26 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgal View Post
Interesting..hadn't heard that..does that mean GZ is a closet ebay shopper?
No. Remember that web site on which he requested donations? You know, the one where he cried that he had a life altering experience and never once said he felt badly about killing someone. The one on which he never expressed sympathy to the parents of the teenager he killed. That one. Anyway, apparently he's raised (maybe from the NRA, who knows?) over $200,000 and did not reveal it on the date of his bond hearing. If this is true (only listening to the news) then the judge might be very annoyed, since he was very lenient, considering the charges. We kept hearing how "indigent" this man is and that his attorney is handling this case Pro Bono because he doesn't have any property or money. His parents (from what I've been told) used their Lake Mary home as collateral. When there's a $150,000 bond, only 10% of it has to be paid and the rest can be put up as collateral. Now, out of the blue, someone found $200,000 in his PayPal account. If it was in that account before the bond hearing, then he lied to the court.

Note: I am not a lawyer or a judge and don't play one on TV either. Just repeating what I read/heard from major news sources.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:29 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,196,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Actually, GZ's DV restraining order expired on August 24, 2006, and the gf did not renew it.

Homicides Committed by Concealed Handgun Permit Holders in State of Florida - Coalition to Stop Gun Violence (http://www.csgv.org/issues-and-campaigns/concerns-about-concealed-carry/homicides-committed-by-concealed-handgun-permit-holders-in-state-of-florida - broken link)
As did the restraining order that he took out on her (expire, that is and he didn't renew it either). I'm not sure what your point is Are you saying that the reason he was able to obtain a license to carry and a CCW was because the restraining order expired, then yes I believe that is part of the reason...

Old 04-27-2012, 01:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
As did the restraining order that he took out on her (expire, that is and he didn't renew it either). I'm not sure what your point is Are you saying that the reason he was able to obtain a license to carry and a CCW was because the restraining order expired, then yes I believe that is part of the reason...
Here we go again!

My point was the the restraining order on GZ was not permanent, as was previously stated. Please get over your personal antipathy for me and read the posts!

Old 04-27-2012, 01:39 PM

I want to add a link to my earlier post, but there are some people who complain that I edit too much, so I'll start a new post.

[url=http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2012/04/27/zimmerman-received-200000-in-donations-through-website/?mod=google_news_blog]Zimmerman Received $200,000 in Donations Through Website - Law Blog - WSJ[/url]

This explains the $200,000 PayPal account. I tried my best to find an impartial article.
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Can anyone explain why zimmerman closed his site and then claimed to be broke and have the state pay for his defense?

If he did not report the money that he had is'nt that contempt of court?
Sure sounds that way to me. His family claims he doesn't have access to the money because it is held in "trust." (I find the use of that word quite ironic)

Old 04-27-2012, 01:49 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,014,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
I still dont understand how GZ was allowed to carry a gun with this prior record.
Has anyone posted any facts on this, other than that sanford covered it up?

George Zimmerman, Son of a Retired Judge, Has 3 Closed Arrests | Rolling Out - Black News, Celebrity Videos, Entertainment, Business & Politics

There are posters here who will deny to the end of time that the fact that
Zimmerman's father was a magistrate judge in Virginia has nothing at all to do with the fact that he was never held "personally responsible" for such
actions. The rest of us would have been convicted of a felony and not allowed to carry a gun.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:54 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
[quote=Katiana;24056175]I agree. I would never want some "wannabe cop" armed and roaming my neighborhood. My grown daughters come to visit us and sometimes forget the garage door code. They have to try 2-3 times before they remember. Someone like the forementioned "wannabe" could construe that as suspicious and shoot them. One of them, if not both, uses her cell phone to light up the keypad in the dark. Is that not suspicious to someone looking for suspicion. They both have boyfriends who drive older model cars, park on the street instead of the driveway and walk up to the front door and ring the bell when they come by themselves. Is that not suspicious looking in the dark? (One even has black hair, the horrors!) I would not have to call either set of their parents and say "Sorry, your son was shot by our NW commander b/c he looked suspicious".

Exactly my point. Alot of Florida neighborhoods are half empty in spring and/or summer , the areas sometimes can get dicey BUT that means a real police presence is helpful....

My stepson would go out at night when he came to visit us. He was 18 at the time and bored. Yes, he wore a trench coat bcs kids think its cool or whatever...while he was out riding a bike or hanging out with friends at the clubhouse , an over zealous untrained watchman like GZ could have pursued him, escalating a situation.

imo GZ is at fault for causing the entire tragedy. I just hope the jury isnt brain dead and watches too much CSI. The power of being in the "wrong place at the wrong time" is often what causes tragic crimes. I wont go into it, but have seen innocent people accused, wrongfully.

This should never have happened, and wouldnt have if GZ wasnt "on patrol" and carrying a firearm that night.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:08 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
There are posters here who will deny to the end of time that the fact that
Zimmerman's father was a magistrate judge in Virginia has nothing at all to do with the fact that he was never held "personally responsible" for such
actions. The rest of us would have been convicted of a felony and not allowed to carry a gun.
There will be more people who with nothing to support their conspiracy theory will claim gz's father has influence over the FL. legal system.

Come up with something, anything. When judge Lester brushed it off, was he under the father's invisible influence. Are other people arrested under similar circumstances Not given misdemeanor deals. Were the father, the prosecutor, and police chief poker buddies. What ?

Old 04-27-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Were the father, the prosecutor, and police chief poker buddies. What ?
[url=http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-04-20/news/os-norm-wolfinger-no-reelection-bid-20120420_1_staffs-state-attorney-norm-wolfinger-special-prosecutor]Norm Wolfinger no re-election bid: State Attorney Norm Wolfinger won't seek reelection - Orlando Sentinel[/url]

"Wolfinger made the decision early in his current term, his office said. He wants to spend more time with his family, spokeswoman Lynne Bumpus-Hooper said."

Maybe he doesn't want an investigation now that all eyes are on the way he conducts business? Just thinking out loud. Does everyone really believe the Black community has this much influence and Chief Lee, Attorney Wolfinger (and who knows who's next) are stepping down? Wolfinger had previously announced he would run in November.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:29 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,196,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Here we go again!

My point was the the restraining order on GZ was not permanent, as was previously stated. Please get over your personal antipathy for me and read the posts!
Yes it was permanent....Look it up and don't flatter yourself...

http://myclerk.myorangeclerk.com/default.aspx

Permanent Injunctions do expire after a period of time unless the court ordered a lifetime injunction

Old 04-27-2012, 02:29 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestJ23 View Post
Why couldn't Zimmerman have minded his business??

So, the girlfriend's account is completely irrelevant as well??
That's the prevelant attitude in the black community, no snitching, and look where it has gotten it.

Quote:
In what ways did Zimmerman show restraint when he shot a person in the chest?? Really??
He could have shot him the minute Trayvon started wailing on him and he did not.

Quote:
Good point in pointing out that Zimmerman isn't a cop and that means that he has no right to follow and stalk a person that he deems suspicious.
He can follow anyone he likes. Go to a dictionary and look up stalking and come back.

Quote:
Alot of you people are co-signing on that, but I urge you to think again because it won't end well. You're going to follow the wrong person in the name of protecting 2 year old dvd players and you're going to end up or a murder charge or be murdered yourself.
There is some merit to what you say. I may have made a different decision if I was Zimmerman, doesn't mean what he did do was murder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies