Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2012, 06:00 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,017,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Because women are materializing this little kid, not the 6'3" no_limit N-word mess that was posting F a bit-c-h on his tweeter accounts, defacing property, having possession of a drug pipe and residue, Jewelry he can't account for and three suspensions.

IMO if most women had him walk by as a nearly adult tall young man with his gold teeth, I think if they were honest with themselves they would be at least scared of such a person getting too close to them and what they might do.
Young men make most of the trouble.

I know that you meant women are "maternalizing" Trayvon Martin; I think that there are many men who "paternalize" him as well. To be fair, those things that you see as transgressions on Martin's part are minor when compared to Zimmerman's past; Trayvon only did what many teens, Black, white, Asian and Hispanic do. His twitter handle is harmless and irrelevant.
Zimmerman assaulted a police officer and when informed of that fact said, "I don't care...f**k you." Yet he was let go...amazing. No doubt his mother would be displeased, but a term like "F a b***h" is far less offensive than Zimmerman's record of domestic violence. Like it or not (and I'm not a huge fan), the lyrics to some modern music are filled with such phrases...the rapper Eminem uses the same language, and he's white. Defacing property? Paint is easily covered over...how many of us older folks carved our names or initials into the wooden tops of desks at school? I did. As for the pipe and residue, the fact is that marijuana has long been part of American life. The brilliant conservative William F. Buckley was arrested with friends on his yacht for possession. Someday it will be legal. When Zimmerman assaulted the police officer he was drunk;
who knows how often he drinks, or how much? Do you have a link that
confirms that Martin can't account for the jewelry? Or that he was arrested for possession of stolen property? If not, that's irrelevant as well.
As for the three suspensions, IIRC those were for truancy and tardiness;
those are, again, victimless actions...he was still reported to be an A-B student. The fact that he's 6'3" is completely irrelevant...so is my husband. Being tall doesn't make a person into some criminal. What I know is that, in spite of these things that so bother you, it was Zimmerman who took someone's life...that's as serious as it can get. And while I agree that young men cause most of the trouble, that holds true for every ethnicity.
If I passed Trayvon on the street, I'd probably smile at him...I'm not afraid of people based on how they look, but rather how they act. Trayvon had no record of violence against females...Zimmerman did. I have lived and worked in racially mixed areas and the only problem I ever had was with an older white woman, so I'm not one who sees people that don't look like me as "other." I just see them as other people. Until they show me by their actions that they're jerks, I don't have a problem with other people.
And racists and bigots are jerks...they cause more discord than any other group of people in America.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:47 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,017,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestJ23 View Post
I've noticed that as well, it's really disturbing and I'm starting the think that it's not just a few people on a message board that feel that way.

There's something else about this case that is bothering me....why would a person with a gun be screaming for help?? And if it was Zimmerman that was screaming, why didn't he indicate that he had a gun or that it was being wrestled away from him??

I'm afraid that American society has really declined when it comes to civil
behavior; people are rude, crude, violent and sometimes deadly. It seems that a large part of the blame falls on preachers and politicians, and most of them white. Given the opportunity to speak out against racism and violence against women and children, they haven't stepped up and been moral leaders. Instead they've chosen to focus on homosexuality, abortion, birth control and other issues that were faced and resolved decades ago. If Gerald Ford hadn't pardoned Nixon, our politicians would be more ethical, knowing that there's a price to pay. Ronald Reagan broke an amendment to the Constitution, yet people feel he was a great president. As for religious "leaders," look at Bakker, Swaggart and the like...corrupt men who used their positions to demonize people who don't look or think like they do...and all the while they were whoring and stealing from the sick and the poor. Limbaugh and Stern have earned their share of the blame, although Stern doesn't pander to racists like Rush does.

Your point about the gun is well made. IMHO, this case will cause SYG laws to be revisited and tightened up...as it is, they're very broad and confusing. It's heartening that the Florida legislators who wrote the bill have said that it doesn't cover Zimmerman's actions. I do not understand the love affair with guns...have them for protection, hunting and collecting...but this ain't Dodge City in 1865, for God's sake.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:22 PM

2,119 posts, read 4,169,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
I know that you meant women are "maternalizing" Trayvon Martin; I think that there are many men who "paternalize" him as well. To be fair, those things that you see as transgressions on Martin's part are minor when compared to Zimmerman's past; Trayvon only did what many teens, Black, white, Asian and Hispanic do. His twitter handle is harmless and irrelevant.
Zimmerman assaulted a police officer and when informed of that fact said, "I don't care...f**k you." Yet he was let go...amazing. No doubt his mother would be displeased, but a term like "F a b***h" is far less offensive than Zimmerman's record of domestic violence. Like it or not (and I'm not a huge fan), the lyrics to some modern music are filled with such phrases...the rapper Eminem uses the same language, and he's white. Defacing property? Paint is easily covered over...how many of us older folks carved our names or initials into the wooden tops of desks at school? I did. As for the pipe and residue, the fact is that marijuana has long been part of American life. The brilliant conservative William F. Buckley was arrested with friends on his yacht for possession. Someday it will be legal. When Zimmerman assaulted the police officer he was drunk;
who knows how often he drinks, or how much? Do you have a link that
confirms that Martin can't account for the jewelry? Or that he was arrested for possession of stolen property? If not, that's irrelevant as well.
As for the three suspensions, IIRC those were for truancy and tardiness;
those are, again, victimless actions...he was still reported to be an A-B student. The fact that he's 6'3" is completely irrelevant...so is my husband. Being tall doesn't make a person into some criminal. What I know is that, in spite of these things that so bother you, it was Zimmerman who took someone's life...that's as serious as it can get. And while I agree that young men cause most of the trouble, that holds true for every ethnicity.
If I passed Trayvon on the street, I'd probably smile at him...I'm not afraid of people based on how they look, but rather how they act. Trayvon had no record of violence against females...Zimmerman did. I have lived and worked in racially mixed areas and the only problem I ever had was with an older white woman, so I'm not one who sees people that don't look like me as "other." I just see them as other people. Until they show me by their actions that they're jerks, I don't have a problem with other people.
And racists and bigots are jerks...they cause more discord than any other group of people in America.
Worth repeat posting
George Zimmerman: Prelude to a shooting - m.NYPOST.com

Old 04-26-2012, 01:34 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,943,904 times
It's strange that I've made it through 61 years without killing a dog or a person and I haven't led a sheltered life.

Regarding a "prelude to a shooting," I had the opposite reaction, that is, the neighborhood's history only strengthens the prosecution's ability to demonstrate Zimmerman's goal in pursuing Martin. As he demonstrates in his 911 call, he was trying to prevent other would-be burglars from getting away. To me, this only proves he tried to detain Trayvon to prevent what he perceived to be a possible robbery. He told the police dispatcher, when asked for the location, that he was at "a cut-through" which means he left his vehicle and chased Martin down a path. After all, the body was found in a grassy area next to a path that leads to the townhouses, including the one in which Martin was staying. During the call, Zimmerman asked the police to call him and didn't want to meet a patrol car at one of the entrances. Why? If he said he'd be in a Dodge Durango next to the back gate, his claim that he was walking back to it would make sense to me. But he didn't. He asked if an officer could call him. Doesn't that mean he was still in pursuit and didn't know where he'd be when they arrived?

By the way, during the bond hearing he said he thought Martin was older. Not only did he tell the dispatcher he was a teenager, he called him "a kid." Many people haven't listened to the entire 911 call. After asking Zimmerman for his telephone and apartment number:

Zimmerman:

911 dispatcher:

OK, what’s your apartment number?

Zimmerman:

It’s a home. It’s 1950 – oh, crap, I don’t want to give it out – I don’t know where this kid is [inaudible]

So, not only does he call him a teenager once, he repeats "this kid" when giving his address to the dispatcher. I don't see how anyone can dispute this. Also, doesn't this prove he went looking for him? Why would he care that he lost sight of "the kid" if his job was finished? After all, he called 911, reported a suspicious person in the neighborhood, chased him and was told "we don't need you to do that." So why, when he was allegedly walking back to his car would he say in a frustrated tone, "I don't know where this kid is." He mumbled something after he said this, which is the "inaudible" part.

This is obviously a very frustrated man who has called the police dozens of times, drives around wearing a holster and a loaded 9mm gun just to go to Target. Forget his past arrest or domestic abuse charge. I want to be fair, so let's give him the benefit of the doubt and say he changed in 6 years. After all, he was only 21 or 22. But people are overlooking the plague of calls he made to the police, not only from his neighborhood, but from Publix, Kohl's, chasing people, pursuing a driver who, when the police arrived, said he was terrified Zimmerman was going to attack him.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:37 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,459,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
It's strange that I've made it through 61 years without killing a dog or a person and I haven't led a sheltered life.

Regarding a "prelude to a shooting," I had the opposite reaction, that is, the neighborhood's history only strengthens the prosecution's ability to demonstrate Zimmerman's goal in pursuing Martin. As he demonstrates in his 911 call, he was trying to prevent other would-be burglars from getting away. To me, this only proves he tried to detain Trayvon to prevent what he perceived to be a possible robbery. He told the police dispatcher, when asked for the location, that he was at "a cut-through" which means he left his vehicle and chased Martin down a path. After all, the body was found in a grassy area next to a path that leads to the townhouses, including the one in which Martin was staying. During the call, Zimmerman asked the police to call him and didn't want to meet a patrol car at one of the entrances. Why? If he said he'd be in a Dodge Durango next to the back gate, his claim that he was walking back to it would make sense to me. But he didn't. He asked if an officer could call him. Doesn't that mean he was still in pursuit and didn't know where he'd be when they arrived?

By the way, during the bond hearing he said said he thought Martin was older. Not only did he tell the dispatcher he was a teenager, he called him "a kid." Many people haven't listened to the entire 911 call. After asking Zimmerman for his telephone and apartment number:

Zimmerman:

911 dispatcher:

OK, what’s your apartment number?

Zimmerman:

It’s a home. It’s 1950 – oh, crap, I don’t want to give it out – I don’t know where this kid is [inaudible]

So, not only does he call him a teenager once, he repeats "this kid" when giving his address to the dispatcher. I don't see how anyone can dispute this.

Also, doesn't this prove he went looking for him? Why would he care that he lost sight of "the kid" if his job was finished? After all, he called 911, reported a suspicious person in the neighborhood, chased him and was told "we don't need you to do that." So why, when he was allegedly walking back to his car would he say in a frustrated tone, "I don't know where this kid is." He mumbled something after he said this, which is the "inaudible" part.

This is obviously a very frustrated man who has called the police dozens of times, drives around wearing a holster and a loaded 9mm gun just to go to Target. Forget his past arrest or domestic abuse charge. I want to be fair, so let's give him the benefit of the doubt and say he changed in 6 years. After all, he was only 21 or 22. But people are overlooking the plague of calls he made to the police, not only from his neighborhood, but from Publix, Kohl's, chasing people, pursuing a driver who, when the police arrived, said he was terrified Zimmerman was going to attack him.
Every single sentence you wrote here is completely irrelevant.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Every single sentence you wrote here is completely irrelevant.
Thanks. It's nice to know my points of view are irrelevant. So why didn't you post that in the comments above mine?

Old 04-26-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Rueters has a new article about Zimmerman and neighborhood background. Looks like Blacks were terrorizing the neighborhood.
Oh, please. In the 14 months before the shooting there were some break-ins and some property was stolen. There were only 8 burglaries, if you read the police reports. Forget the newspapers and other stories. I posted on one of the many threads the actual numbers from the Sanford Police. I want to add that I don't think any burglaries are acceptable, but the word "terrorizing" is a little extreme, although it certainly has become popular with a certain group in the past several years.

In late 2011, Zimmerman formed the NW group. According to Wendy Dorival of the Sanford Police, who coordinated a presentation in October, nobody else was interested, so George became the "captain" and the contact for the NW group. Only 25 people showed up at the meeting.

So..there are 263 homes in that complex. Many people have children but, even if only 2 people lived in each townhouse, that's over 500 residents. 25 people decided the community needed a neighborhood watch, and only George Zimmerman and Frank Taaffe took turns patrolling the area. Why? I mean, the neighborhood was, after all, being "terrorized."

Old 04-26-2012, 02:16 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times
Quote:
Oh, please. In the 14 months before the shooting there were some break-ins and some property was stolen. There were only 8 burglaries, if you read the police reports. Forget the newspapers and other stories. I posted on one of the many threads the actual numbers from the Sanford Police. I want to add that I don't think any burglaries are acceptable, but the word "terrorizing" is a little extreme, although it certainly has become popular with a certain group in the past several years.

In late 2011, Zimmerman formed the NW group. According to Wendy Dorival of the Sanford Police, who coordinated a presentation in October, nobody else was interested, so George became the "captain" and the contact for the NW group. Only 25 people showed up at the meeting.

So..there are 263 homes in that complex. Many people have children but, even if only 2 people lived in each townhouse, that's over 500 residents. 25 people decided the community needed a neighborhood watch, and only George Zimmerman and Frank Taaffe took turns patrolling the area. Why? I mean, the neighborhood was, after all, being "terrorized."
I remember your post and even your post had 8 burglaries with 4 suspects or descriptions of suspects by witnesses. All were Black and one arrest was made.

Eight burglaries for a "gated community" would be jarring. I mean what is an acceptable amount of burglaries do you think a community has to suffer before a community can fight back?

Old 04-26-2012, 02:19 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,511,514 times
Quote:
[snip] During the call, Zimmerman asked the police to call him and didn't want to meet a patrol car at one of the entrances. Why? If he said he'd be in a Dodge Durango next to the back gate, his claim that he was walking back to it would make sense to me. But he didn't. He asked if an officer could call him. Doesn't that mean he was still in pursuit and didn't know where he'd be when they arrived? [snip].
It could just as easily mean what gz said--- he continued on to find a street sign.

Dispatcher: Alright, what address are you parked in front of? [3:21]
Zimmerman: Um, I don’t know. It’s a cut-through so I don’t know the address.

Sounds sensible that he'd want the cops to meet him 'where he was at,' near where he'd last seen tm.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:23 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,460,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I remember your post and even your post had 8 burglaries with 4 suspects or descriptions of suspects by witnesses. All were Black and one arrest was made.

Eight burglaries for a "gated community" would be jarring. I mean what is an acceptable amount of burglaries do you think a community has to suffer before a community can fight back?
It doesn't matter what color the burglars were because apparently George Zimmerman didn't have it out for "black men" so why do you keep making this an issue of race? It's an issue of him shooting a kid he thought was going to rob a house at 7pm.

You're actually part of the reason why this has become an issue of race and people are so out of joint about it, when it's got nothing at all to do with race.

Why are you doing that?

This case has nothing to do with race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies