Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2012, 04:18 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,414,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Yes, taking fists to a gunfight was pretty stupid.
Taking a gun to confront an unknown, unarmed teenager walking on the property during the early evening hours was pretty stupid, yes.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:20 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,909,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
If you're calling a gun an equalizer, all I can say is "wow, just wow". Keep in mind people GZ's age commit about the same number of homicides as those 17-19.
Yes, the age demographics most likely makes them about equally likely to engage in violence. That is why it is I who am minimizing the age difference. The age difference means nothing when it comes to who is more likely to engage in violence.

Referring to a gun as an equalizer is relatively common terminology.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:21 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,265,406 times
Quote:
Zimmerman was stupid, but stupidity ain't a crime.
But if that stupidity results in a death that didn't need to happen, shouldn't there be consequences?

We don't know who took that first punch that night; we may never know because we can't rely on Zimmerman's account of the events only. He has every reason to lie or to distort what really happened.

And if Trayvon did take the first punch, how do we know that, at that moment, he wasn't fearing for his own life and felt that he was acting in self-defense?

Again, whether the murder two charge is appropriate, I don't know. But I do think that Zimmerman bears the responsibility in Trayvon's death for the simple reason that he initiated that whole tragic chain of events.

And there should be consequences for that.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:24 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,414,667 times
Quote:
I believe it is your blind trust of the judicial system that leaves you unable to recognize a travesty of justice when it should be obvious to all. There is no case against Zimmerman.
What blind trust? I just posted that innocent people are convicted and guilty people are acquitted.

Yes, I can recognize a "travesty of justice" when I see it, and THIS isn't it. This case is turning out to be one of the most scrutinized cases in the country. And it's more complicated than you seem to realize. How will you feel about the "system" if Zimmerman is acquitted?

The system works; it certainly isn't perfect, there are many flaws, yet it's the best thing going out there. Do you have any suggestions of a better system?

Old 05-20-2012, 04:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,875,960 times
Quote:
Yes, the age demographics most likely makes them about equally likely to engage in violence. That is why it is I who am minimizing the age difference. The age difference means nothing when it comes to who is more likely to engage in violence.

Referring to a gun as an equalizer is relatively common terminology.
I refer you to a previous post of yours:

Quote:
You need to go back a few posts to understand instead of taking one statement out of context..

Old 05-20-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Taking a gun to confront an unknown, unarmed teenager walking on the property during the early evening hours was pretty stupid, yes.
Yes, it was stupid. Not a crime.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
What blind trust? I just posted that innocent people are convicted and guilty people are acquitted.

Yes, I can recognize a "travesty of justice" when I see it, and THIS isn't it. This case is turning out to be one of the most scrutinized cases in the country. And it's more complicated than you seem to realize. How will you feel about the "system" if Zimmerman is acquitted?

The system works; it certainly isn't perfect, there are many flaws, yet it's the best thing going out there. Do you have any suggestions of a better system?
The system works 99% of the time. I doubt if we can devise anything much better with the possible exception of removing judges as much as possible from the democratic process, i.e. lifetime appointments.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:35 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,265,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Here, here!

Then there are those who can't function or even feed themselves without the help of the government. Yet they rant up a storm when a neighbor looks out for his neighbor.

Funny world we live in.

George can be my neighbor any time. I'd be proud to have him in my neighborhood.
No surprise here.

Although I'm not sure what people needing government assistance has to do with a neighborhood vigilante.

Oh, never mind. I forgot who I was responding to - typical of you to slip one of your favorite rants into a thread that has nothing to do with that particular topic.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
But if that stupidity results in a death that didn't need to happen, shouldn't there be consequences?

We don't know who took that first punch that night; we may never know because we can't rely on Zimmerman's account of the events only. He has every reason to lie or to distort what really happened.

And if Trayvon did take the first punch, how do we know that, at that moment, he wasn't fearing for his own life and felt that he was acting in self-defense?

Again, whether the murder two charge is appropriate, I don't know. But I do think that Zimmerman bears the responsibility in Trayvon's death for the simple reason that he initiated that whole tragic chain of events.

And there should be consequences for that.
I guess the problem is we will never know who through the first punch. Without being able to find that out I do not see how a conviction on Zimmermen's actions can be obtained under Florida law.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:13 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,875,960 times
Quote:
Yes, it was stupid. Not a crime.
Stupidity can cause a crime. Driving under the influence is stupid. If you get caught, it's a crime. (Just an example)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies