Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2012, 01:54 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Now just wait a minute! If the judge thought was GZ did was minor, he'd have to say the same thing about Trayvon (although he wasn't ruling on anything about TM, it was a bond hearing for GZ). Trayvon had NO arrest record. Frankly, I'm not too surprised a male judge would think domestic violence was "minor".
I hate to judge, but I cannot understand why these women stay. It's not as if they had children together. Yes, it's true that many judges do not take domestic violence seriously. Remember when the woman in Maryland was doused with gasoline and set on fire by her husband? She begged the judge for a restraining order and he laughed at her. He even mocked her in court. Earlier this year in Palm Beach County, a judge told a man whose wife filed a complaint because he shoved her onto the couch and began to strangle her, to "buy her flowers and take her to Red Lobster." I wonder if the next time, when she's in a coma, he'll suggest another restaurant.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:00 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
From Carl Hiiasen's Sunday column on the Zimmerman/Martin case:
Quote:
We’ll probably never know what really happened when Martin and Zimmerman spoke face-to-face, since one is dead and the other is trying to avoid prison. The few witnesses will probably give conflicting accounts of what they saw and heard.

Read more here: Zimmerman charge will be hard to prove - Carl Hiaasen - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/04/22/2759905/zimmerman-charge-will-be-hard.html#storylink=cpy - broken link)[/color][

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-22-2012 at 03:52 PM.. Reason: copyright

Old 04-22-2012, 02:00 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,197,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
That's what I said at first. Yes, compared to the 2005 mug shots, he looks small. However, he was standing next to his attorney who is well over 6 ft. Second, he was booked weighing 185, 5'8" tall and his friends and family all said he lost a lot of weight since Feb. Taking them at their word, he could have weighed over 200 lbs on Feb 26. In any case, Trayvon Martin did not weigh 180. AFAIK he was 150 lbs. It's power and experience, not height, that wins a physical fight every time. The person with the history of violence, not the victim is the one most likely to start a fight.
Mark O'Mara is 6'2", he told reporters this on live TV after the first meeting w/ the original judge...Reports have come out that Trayvon was a 6' to 6'3" 150-160lb athlete. Comments from family/friends about GZ's weight loss were "some" not "lots", I know of no one who has lost upwards of 75 lbs in 6 weeks. If you watch the video 35 minutes after the shooting GZ does not IMO appear to be a large man...You and others make GZ sound like he is this crazed "VIOLENT FELON" with a "LONG HISTORY OF VIOLENCE"...

Exaggerations and contortion of facts on both sides serves absolutely no purpose except to get people worked up...

Old 04-22-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needTXinfo View Post
Theories that he may have had his gun out are moot. There is absolutely no evidence of that, and does not help support the probable cause necessary for an indictment under FL law.
True, I never said the law was just. However, at this point we don't know if the prosecution has more evidence.
Quote:
Although I will say, it's pretty ludicrous to think he would have done that. He knew the police were minutes away, and he's going to point his gun at somebody who will then tell the cops what he just did? Please.
Ludicrous? First of all, as soon as he heard the cops, he could just put the gun back in his holster. Second, if he was so concerned about the cops arriving in only a few minutes, why did he bother to follow Martin? You can't have it both ways. He either figured the cops would get there on time or "these a-holes, they always get away." Which is it?
Quote:
And if your theory is that he was just hell-bent on murder, why call police dispatch to begin with. Also, if he'd had a gun out, the struggle would not have lasted long and in all likelihood Trayvon would never have gotten within fighting range.
Show me once, just one comment of mine where I ever said this. I only said someone who is in fear for his life and has a concealed weapon would be ready to use it and possibly have it out of the holster. I never said he was "just hell-bent on murder." Quite the opposite. I've frequently said this was a terrible accident. It's interesting how so many people twist words to change their meaning when they have one, myopic viewpoint.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
Mark O'Mara is 6'2", he told reporters this on live TV after the first meeting w/ the original judge...Reports have come out that Trayvon was a 6' to 6'3" 150-160lb athlete. Comments from family/friends about GZ's weight loss were "some" not "lots", I know of no one who has lost upwards of 75 lbs in 6 weeks. If you watch the video 35 minutes after the shooting GZ does not IMO appear to be a large man...You and others make GZ sound like he is this crazed "VIOLENT FELON" with a [b]"LONG HISTORY OF VIOLENCE"...

Exaggerations and contortion of facts on both sides serves absolutely no purpose except to get people worked up...
Again, someone else who is taking my words out of context. Where did I say he lost 75 pounds? Where did I say he was a crazed, violent felon? I pointed out some facts.

Go back and read my post. I said he was booked at 185 and lost weight, so he could have weighed over 200 lbs. That's 15 pounds, not 75. You are the one exaggerating.

I wish you would not type your comments in bold. It makes it difficult to quote you. It's also very childish. I have to remove the [b] so I can highlight what I am quoting, so it's too much work. So, unless you stop doing this, I will need to ignore your comments. I've requested this before. When posters frequently use bold text, upper case, and colors, it's like shouting and saying "look at me" or "what I'm saying is right." It also makes it much more difficult to quote because members can't tell who is saying what. You've even included your personal comments inside my quote when you've used one in your posts, which is wrong. It's tantamount to changing a person's comment. Thank you!

Edit: I went back to your post, removed the HTML so I could highlight the phrases/words to which I am referring. Now, please show me where I said he lost 75 lbs. Show me exaggerations or contortions of facts.

Last edited by justNancy; 04-22-2012 at 02:35 PM..

Old 04-22-2012, 02:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
Until I saw George in his court appearance, I didn't realize how small he is. He must be maybe 5'5, 140 pounds, max? and you're telling me he attacked a 6' 180 pounder? Probably not...!!
Zimmerman: 5'8", 185 from police report when he was arrested.
http://cfnews13.com/content/dam/news...eport-0412.pdf

Trayvon, 6'0", 160# from police report when shot.
http://blogs.chicagotribune.com/news...e-reports.html

Quote:
Now you're accusing a judge of minimizing domestic violence!?!

Please!....this post is just downright silly!!! Why don't you just admit when you're wrong!!??
I see you've learned how to game the TOS!

Not accusing, saying he may well have minimized the DV. Many men, including educated men, do so. There have been several examples posted about that since I posted my post.

Quote:
GZ had ONE complaint of domestic abuse in 2005 (7 years ago) which the judge decided was minor enough (compared to other DV cases he's handled) to allow bond...
Did the judge say that (in bold)? Please provide a link if so.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:31 PM

179 posts, read 156,719 times
Quote:
True, I never said the law was just. However, at this point we don't know if the prosecution has more evidence. Ludicrous? First of all, as soon as he heard the cops, he could just put the gun back in his holster. Second, if he was so concerned about the cops arriving in only a few minutes, why did he bother to follow Martin? You can't have it both ways. He either figured the cops would get there on time or "these a-holes, they always get away." Which is it? Show me once, just one comment of mine where I ever said this. I only said someone who is in fear for his life and has a concealed weapon would be ready to use it and possibly have it out of the holster. I never said he was "just hell-bent on murder." Quite the opposite. I've frequently said this was a terrible accident. It's interesting how so many people twist words to change their meaning when they have one, myopic viewpoint.
I wasn't addressing anything you said specifically

As to your comment about him following him - you have no evidence of that either. He told the non emergency dispatch that he lost sight of Trayvon, and you can tell from his breathing and the wind that he stopped running. Btw, he was running to keep him in sight, no to chase him down.

As to more evidence they might have, the state already admitted at the hearing they had no evidence showing Zimmerman's story about how the fight started was false. I doubt something magical will come out of the woodwork now.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:33 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
Quote:
Mark O'Mara is 6'2", he told reporters this on live TV after the first meeting w/ the original judge...Reports have come out that Trayvon was a 6' to 6'3" 150-160lb athlete. Comments from family/friends about GZ's weight loss were "some" not "lots", I know of no one who has lost upwards of 75 lbs in 6 weeks. If you watch the video 35 minutes after the shooting GZ does not IMO appear to be a large man...You and others make GZ sound like he is this crazed "VIOLENT FELON" with a "LONG HISTORY OF VIOLENCE"...

"VIOLENT FELON" with a "LONG HISTORY OF VIOLENCE"...

Why don't you look up Zimmermann's history? Going back to 2005?
Self explanatory! I wish we all had parents who were 'Federal Magistrates"!

Old 04-22-2012, 02:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I posted early on that this case had a Duke Lacrosse feel to it. The parallels are striking and I'm hoping for a similar ending. The Duke Lacrosse players are out of the public eye and are presumably moving on with their lives. Hopefully Zimmerman can too after he's exonerated.
A key difference being that GZ admitted he killed Trayvon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
What did he lie about?
GZ told Trayvon's family (and the rest of the world) in court that he thought Trayvon was a few years younger than him (age 28). In the police call, he called Trayvon a teen, making him, by GZ's judgement, at least 9 years younger. And what a wussy apology! As someone pointed out, GZ didn't apologize for killing Trayvon. He apologized to the parents for the loss of their son, something you would say to someone at a funeral home. Is it more acceptable to kill someone closer to you in age? What a dipstick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay1 View Post
OK Katiana, you got your link, so now WHAT?
It doesn't support what backspace said. NO ONE SAW THE BEGINNING OF THE FIGHT! (At lease not anyone who has come forward.)

Old 04-22-2012, 02:37 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,197,114 times
Quote:
That's what I said at first. Yes, compared to the 2005 mug shots, he looks small. However, he was standing next to his attorney who is well over 6 ft. Second, he was booked weighing 185, 5'8" tall and his friends and family all said he lost a lot of weight since Feb. Taking them at their word, he could have weighed over 200 lbs on Feb 26. In any case, Trayvon Martin did not weigh 180. AFAIK he was 150 lbs.
IMO, your post implies that GZ was MUCH larger on Feb 26th and somehow lost so much weight in such a short period of time that he looks drastically different...

Quote:
Again, someone else who is taking my words out of context. Where did I say he lost 75 pounds? Where did I say he was a crazed, violent felon? I pointed out some facts.

Go back and read my post. I said he was booked at 185 and lost weight, so he could have weighed over 200 lbs. That's 15 pounds, not 75.

I wish you would not type your comments in bold. It makes it difficult to quote you. It's also very childish. I have to remove the [b] so I can highlight what I am quoting.
Exaggerated facts IMO...no need for personal attacks about what style I choose to use in my posts...if the boldness bothers you so much don't read it...

Quote:
It's power and experience, not height, that wins a physical fight every time. The person with the history of violence, not the victim is the one most likely to start a fight.
Well, according to some of the posts on this fora, reported elsewhere and in the media your comment about winning a fight or the "one most likely to start a fight" could be said of both GZ and TM...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies