Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 08:40 PM

38,703 posts, read 26,510,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Well Frank, the law disagrees with you. Did you actually read the link? I bet not.

I read that four restaurant managers were fired and now they are playing the race/religion card and suing for a cash settlement.

What else is new in America?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 08:04 AM

10,448 posts, read 12,506,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Will a pancake restaurant in a Muslim country hire me if I don't wear a scarf? No? Can I sue them?

If living in a non-Muslim country (like the US) is such a hardship....leave.
Has it occurred to you that maybe some people 1) are Muslim and 2) want to live in America? Has it occurred to you that some people want to practice their religion (Islam) but don't want to be under the tyranny of some Islamic countries--because they are actually more moderate in their religious beliefs than some of those countries require? Has it occurred to you that some Muslims are American and have just as much right to live in this country as you do? Why would you want to compare being Muslim in America to not being Muslim in an Islamic country? Do you really want America to become as tyrannical as countries like Saudi Arabia and Iran? Or do you actually appreciate that we have more freedoms than some of those countries? Maybe you should appreciate the freedoms, and let Muslim Americans appreciate those freedoms too.

ETA: The comparison you make also doesn't work because we have freedom of religion in our very Constitution, whereas many of the countries you have in mind actually legislate Shari'a Law. If Islamic countries had freedom of religion written into their Constitutions, then yes, you would have a case for suing a company that fired you for not wearing hijab. But what makes America different from those countries is that we legally protect people's right to practice the religion they want (including no religion), whereas those other countries literally force people to practice one religion (with no regards to their personal beliefs). Guess what, some Muslims want to be able to practice their religion freely in the way they choose and not just in the narrow way defined by countries like Iran and Saudi Arabia.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:56 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,369,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Has it occurred to you that maybe some people 1) are Muslim and 2) want to live in America? Has it occurred to you that some people want to practice their religion (Islam) but don't want to be under the tyranny of some Islamic countries--because they are actually more moderate in their religious beliefs than some of those countries require? Has it occurred to you that some Muslims are American and have just as much right to live in this country as you do? Why would you want to compare being Muslim in America to not being Muslim in an Islamic country? Do you really want America to become as tyrannical as countries like Saudi Arabia and Iran? Or do you actually appreciate that we have more freedoms than some of those countries? Maybe you should appreciate the freedoms, and let Muslim Americans appreciate those freedoms too.

ETA: The comparison you make also doesn't work because we have freedom of religion in our very Constitution, whereas many of the countries you have in mind actually legislate Shari'a Law. If Islamic countries had freedom of religion written into their Constitutions, then yes, you would have a case for suing a company that fired you for not wearing hijab. But what makes America different from those countries is that we legally protect people's right to practice the religion they want (including no religion), whereas those other countries literally force people to practice one religion (with no regards to their personal beliefs). Guess what, some Muslims want to be able to practice their religion freely in the way they choose and not just in the narrow way defined by countries like Iran and Saudi Arabia.
If you want to be a Muslim and live in America, that's fine. When you want to change American laws to accommodate Muslim cultural practices that conflict with the American legal system, that's a problem.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:59 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,747,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post

How about the Muslims that live in America that perform honor killings when their daughters have worn blue jeans and show an interest in boys?

Or the Muslim cab drivers who were refusing to pick up passengers who at the Minn/St.Paul Airport who were carrying alcohol in their luggage.

I like the way the Amish do it, they live their lives the way they want WITHOUT trying to FORCE their views down other people's throats.

The Muslims are not of a "live and let live" mentality.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:05 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,962,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Yeah! Frack the Constitution! We're fighting for our "Freedomsâ„¢".
Where in the Constitution is a business owner denied freedom of association?

Old 04-20-2012, 07:39 PM

832 posts, read 1,743,391 times
Quote:
If you want to be a Muslim and live in America, that's fine. When you want to change American laws to accommodate Muslim cultural practices that conflict with the American legal system, that's a problem.
There is no mention in the article of any law changing.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Sounds like these people aren't doing that, though. They're just fighting for their freedom of religion. They're not trying to get the Qur'an in our classrooms.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
How about the Muslims that live in America that perform honor killings when their daughters have worn blue jeans and show an interest in boys?

Or the Muslim cab drivers who were refusing to pick up passengers who at the Minn/St.Paul Airport who were carrying alcohol in their luggage.

I like the way the Amish do it, they live their lives the way they want WITHOUT trying to FORCE their views down other people's throats.

The Muslims are not of a "live and let live" mentality.
I find them about as annoying as the cab drivers that refuse to take my blind friends who have service animals, not necessarily for religious reasons.

If the Muslim community starts trying to get Shari'a Law into place, then I'll start complaining. Until then it's completely unfounded paranoia to think that Muslim Americans are any kind of threat within the U.S. Muslims, like anyone else, have a right to practice their religion freely and not be discriminated against based on their religion.

Oh yeah, and please link me to stories of honor killings by Muslims within the U.S.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:13 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,504,057 times
This is one time, i know coming from me. If an employer is able to fire based on someone's relgion, then you can fire, the Catholic, the Christian, etc.
I do know how so many feel about muslims, and i myself are as guilty as the next.
But what is right is right and wrong is wrong.
Then for being a Christian, can you too be fired.
But do most businesses have a clause that states, that anyone can be fired at anytime, at the employer's discretion.
Is there something in the contract, a clause or something for the employers protection.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:21 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,976,821 times
It was Allah's will. They should be good little muslim sheep and accept His will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies