Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 05:29 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,692,063 times

Advertisements

The free movement of people through borders is a free market principle. I find it hypocritical why some who boast about free market this and free market that when they are the same ones who wouldn't throw a fit of an idea of opening up our borders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 05:32 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,445,024 times
Free movement doesn't work see the EU for details.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:33 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,122,873 times
B.c the free market is like religion, the simple minded don't want to think too deeply about nuances in life, so they resort to creating a catchall phrase to calm themselves into believing everything's going to be okay.

Got a broken leg and no insurance? Don't worry, just have faith and (God/the Market/Elves w/ pixie dust) will take care of it.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:35 PM

576 posts, read 586,675 times
If you're for abortion why arent you for murder?

Old 03-22-2012, 05:36 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,844,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
The free movement of people through borders is a free market principle. I find it hypocritical why some who boast about free market this and free market that when they are the same ones who wouldn't throw a fit of an idea of opening up our borders.
Do you have any concept of what a "Country" is?

Old 03-22-2012, 05:37 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,599,751 times
There is more to a country than economic policy. The fact that we need to worry about security etc. requires that we place limits on some things - then again, I'm not a purist when it comes to free markets.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:40 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,091,323 times
Sounds like a racist comment! Don't you like Canadians?

Old 03-22-2012, 05:43 PM

155 posts, read 135,141 times
Quote:
Are you serious? Part of being a sovereign nation is control of the borders..for any nation! If you do not mind me asking what do you do for a living? If you are for open borders and you are a "mechanic" for example I may be open to allowing the world's population of mechanics in and then see if you are still for open borders.

Many countries pay their people 10,25 cents a day and you want to flood this nation with that? The concept is simple. In globalization the USA either has to come down to everyone else around the world or they have to come up to our level and standard of living.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:44 PM

994 posts, read 725,965 times
Quote:
So in your world people aren't allowed to support anything unless they are willing to support it to any extreme? I can't support a free market within our borders unless I support one worldwide market? That's absurd. Ever heard of moderation?

Old 03-22-2012, 05:48 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,692,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaw1981 View Post
Are you serious? Part of being a sovereign nation is control of the borders..for any nation! If you do not mind me asking what do you do for a living? If you are for open borders and you are a "mechanic" for example I may be open to allowing the world's population of mechanics in and then see if you are still for open borders.

Many countries pay their people 10,25 cents a day and you want to flood this nation with that? The concept is simple. In globalization the USA either has to come down to everyone else around the world or they have to come up to our level and standard of living.
You can have sovereignty with open borders. As long as someone doesn't show a risk to national security, let them through.

Europe does it. It doesn't have a problem with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies