Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the U.S. soft on Crime
Yes 21 46.67%
No 24 53.33%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 10:36 AM

20,184 posts, read 23,938,777 times

Advertisements

I don't think we are soft on crime but I do think we are making excuses as to what to do about it... California running out of money to put criminals in jail, so what do they do? Let them out... huh? I think minor first offenses should be probation and not prison sentence (did you see the word "minor" in there?)... I also think minor offenses should be removed from the system rather than follow you around the rest of your life... but what do I know... I just think instead of react...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 03:18 PM

24,620 posts, read 19,270,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Could it be that Canada`s lack of a guns for all policy is the difference?
The first school shooting took place in Canada, and for the record, Canada has a higher per capita school shooting rate than the US does.

In other words, a child is more likely to be shot in a gun-controlled Canadian school than in a US school.

Canada's gun-control laws, like every gun-control law ever enacted in history has only served to deprive honest law-abiding rational citizens from having weapons.

Gun-control laws never prevent criminals from obtaining weapons, since criminals, by definition, violate laws.

Criminally delinquent...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
In the US the criminal reoffend rate is somewhere around 80%.
No kidding. There are many reasons why, among them, the fact that probation is ineffective and prisons do not rehabilitate, so those who get probation continue to commit crimes, as do those who were in prison.

There is only one effective method of rehabilitation, and it doesn't matter if rehab is for drugs, alcohol, or crime, and that is intensive behavior modification therapy.

In plain English, you can say "deprogramming" (they are similar).

It requires a rigidly structured and controlled environment, but that would never be possible, thanks to the ACLU (who has also made it impossible to remove the mentally ill from the streets).

Criminally...

Mircea

Old 04-22-2012, 04:22 PM

455 posts, read 634,846 times
Did u know the U.s. has the lowest per capita murder rate in the industrialized world !

or close to it. Murders (per capita) statistics - Countries Compared - NationMaster

Old 04-22-2012, 04:31 PM

31,302 posts, read 20,832,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman View Post
Prisoners per capita statistics - Countries compared - NationMaster

When I look at the above stats which are proportional per capita......Its Astonishing !!

Canada has like 150 compared to our 750, there is simply NO way to rationalize that !

Something is dreadfully wrong with this. I believe its a simple matter of $$$$. !!

It's the useless war on drugs.

And comparisons between countries are useless without normalizing for demographics.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:34 PM

5,756 posts, read 11,671,717 times
Quote:
Did u know the U.s. has the lowest per capita murder rate in the industrialized world !
The latest national murder rate we have for the US is from 2010, compiled by the FBI. That number was 4.8 per 100,000. 4.8 is pretty good when compared to some countries, especially certain ones in Latin America and the Caribbean, but overall, it's quite high by developed-world standards. Canada's latest-reported rate is 1.6 per 100,000, and England and Wales are at 1.1.

So, we'd have a ways to go before getting to those levels.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:29 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,891,751 times
I voted Yes because prison time should do two things:
1. Remove offenders from society
2. Serve as a deterrent to new criminals or those who have served their sentence and have been released.

Prison time should be something which incites fear and not merely a time out phase.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:32 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,272,206 times
Yes it's soft on crime, the death penalty needs to be used in all states and the crimes that it can be applied to widened...

It will save money,radically decrease the prison population and make people think twice before committing a crime.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:47 PM

455 posts, read 634,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
The latest national murder rate we have for the US is from 2010, compiled by the FBI. That number was 4.8 per 100,000. 4.8 is pretty good when compared to some countries, especially certain ones in Latin America and the Caribbean, but overall, it's quite high by developed-world standards. Canada's latest-reported rate is 1.6 per 100,000, and England and Wales are at 1.1.

So, we'd have a ways to go before getting to those levels.
Your right, we're not the lowest, middle of the pack I guess !

The authorities seem to be wasting(stealing) an awful lot of money

locking people away for relatively minor stuff, drug posession, petty

theft,etc. Serious crime surely needs to be handled but I think

its gone to far. I think many are just naive to the realities, these are some

of the safest times and no not because everyone in in prison .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies