Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 07:02 AM

13,670 posts, read 10,056,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
It wasn't their house - it belonged to their son. Also - they were arrested.

Having proof of ownership(closing papers) would have solved the problem - the house was vacant for 7 months - the neighbor sees two strangers fiddling with the locks - what else should he think is happening? A burglar could say that they just bought the house - how do you prove this to be true? Show the papers - they could have done that and Canoles would have probally said "Welcome to the neighborhood" - and invited them to his place for a beer or two. Instead - everything the couple did was suspicious.

Oh and the people who are trying to connect the Zimmerman/Martin case to this - please. Canoles did not shoot and actually exercised great self control. He did not point the weapon with the intention of doing harm - but to make sure that the couple did not run away. Enough with the apples to oranges comparisons.
Come on, seriously. If you wave at a burglar and ask them if they need a little help, they aren't going to stay long. If they aren't burglars, they're going to tell you their son just bought the house.

And you should leave it at that. To hold somebody at gunpoint when you aren't the police is just so absurd I can't even fathom it. Show your papers?? To the neighbors??? How about you either mind your own business, or if you are convinced a crime is in progress, call the proper authorities.

This is getting OUT OF HAND. The neighbors are not the divine rulers of the neighborhood. You shouldn't have to prove that you're somewhere you're allowed to be.

It's amazing how freely people want to give away people's rights, in the name of "safety".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 07:15 AM

25,834 posts, read 20,771,829 times
Quote:
They should have gotten to know the neighbors before they tried to enter the house. Just common sense - if you aren't part of the neighborhood - you introduce yourself and allay suspicion. I don't think these people should be charged with any crime.

This is a joke right?

Old 04-25-2012, 07:22 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,976,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
If Arkansas had been a "Stand your ground" state and the Kalonjis had been armed, wouldn't they have been well within their rights to blow away the wannabe local heroes?
Newton County, GEORGIA

Old 04-25-2012, 07:23 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,976,010 times
Quote:
They should have gotten to know the neighbors before they tried to enter the house. Just common sense - if you aren't part of the neighborhood - you introduce yourself and allay suspicion. I don't think these people should be charged with any crime.
The house sits on ELEVEN acres. It's not in a housing development.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:28 AM

41,458 posts, read 59,940,069 times
Fear is, indeed, the mind killer. I am pleased the meddlers are facing criminal charges.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:33 AM

11,765 posts, read 14,710,583 times
Here's my favorite part of this whole story:

Quote:
"I don't know what they can charge me with," Canoles said late Monday afternoon, before the interview with authorities. "This is my Second Amendment right. Look, this is the country out here, and we protect our own."
The gun nuts have gotten so unhinged that they think that running around pointing guns at strangers who pose them no danger is part of their Second Amendment rights.

I don't know if they have a "stand your ground" law down there, but a lot of what we've seen in recent years, from people like G. Gordon Liddy telling people to shoot the "jackbooted thugs" in law enforcement, to the NRA refusing to take a position on any shooting, to theSHTF nuts, have all led us to the point where people are encouraged to do ridiculous and dangerous things.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:36 AM

78,911 posts, read 61,095,586 times
Wow. So many people can't even read the article and get facts straight.....just like the mind fill in the blanks.

Having grown up in a rural area, you don't train guns on someone without a whole lot better cause than that.

I'm puzzled as I would suspect the following:
1) Why not call the realtor or prior owner?
2) Wouldn't the couple have a key on them if they were changing the locks? Wouldn't they have new locks with them which would be readily visible to the officer arriving on the scene?
3) The neighbors should have known the place had been sitting empty for 6-7 months....soooooo what exactly is there to steal? I mean drive over get the license plate and call the cops. Sheesh.

Really bad police work here and very over-aggressive neighbors. There is incompetance in every profession, I'm not particularily shocked by this story and am glad no one got hurt.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:52 AM

24,644 posts, read 38,738,704 times
Quote:
You never know. Nobody really knows the whole story of the situation. The couple probably looked extremely suspicious. They didn't have proof of house ownership with them and they were messing about with the locks on an empty house.
Yup. The man was guilty of Existing While Black. And the woman was guilty of being a Race Traitor. We need more good Americans like those Canoles boys. Great job!

Old 04-25-2012, 08:11 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,561,794 times
You never know. Nobody really knows the whole story of the situation. The couple probably looked extremely suspicious. They didn't have proof of house ownership with them and they were messing about with the locks on an empty house.[/quote]

Your country prides itself on it's individual freedoms and rights but has no problem denying folks the freedom to move into their new property? At the point of a gun no less?

Idiots sanctioning this type of behaviour need to live in an armed camp for a few months to get a taste of what it's like to have to show your identification to every retard with a weapon just to enable you to move around.

Messing about with the locks? IT'S THEIR HOUSE!

Whatever happened to simply phoning the cops and letting them handle it?

Naaaw that's no fun, "grab your glock Billy-Bob and let's get in their faces; we knows they be up to no good 'cause they'se different colours."

Get a lawyer and sue their redneck, bigoted, racist asses, buy yourself a newer house and move on the hell out of there.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:15 AM

3,436 posts, read 2,956,404 times
Since when are we required to show papers when entering any house? I can't believe someone would defend these idiots. Who walks around with closing papers in their pockets just to show in case someone thinks you look suspicious? If you seriously think they should have, then EVERYONE would need to be held to the same standard.

I have given my mother a key to my house. She does not live here. Some of my neighbors may not know who she is. It doesn't give them the right to hold her at gun point. They should have called the police and let them deal with it and most burglars don't walk around with house keys and locks so that they can change them. This is some BS and one of these days one of these idiot vigilantes is going to do this to the wrong person and get their *** killed.

The thing that some of you gun sucking fools fail to realize is that the second amendment doesn't apply to the Obama hating trigger happy fools who think that pulling guns on minorities is okay only, it applies to Obama supporters and minorities too and I know plenty that are part of both groups that own guns. I also know some that bought guns after the TM/GZ incident. This is not helping a damn thing and what some of you fail to realize is that in SYG states, that right does not apply to one side, it applies to all of us and when this happens and the killer is black and the victim is white or someone kills a vigilante because they were in fear of their life, what will you say then? It will happen.

This wild west BS needs to stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies