Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 10:01 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,976,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
HA. I'm a mean natured radical, because I want to save my own money?

Boo ****in hoo.
Do you know what sort of dirt bag country doesn't provide a social safety net for it's elderly citizens?

Obviously, you don't, but if there were justice in the World.

You would be forced to move there. And by all means take your money with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 10:03 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Do you know what sort of dirt bag country doesn't provide a social safety net for it's elderly citizens?

Obviously, you don't, but if there were justice in the World.

You would be forced to move there. And by all means take your money with you.
Hey man, I'll gladly pay for the welfare if you will can the "it's for your own good" crap. I'm good on my own savings, thanks.

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-01-2012 at 04:20 AM.. Reason: insults

Old 04-30-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
We don't want to kill it. It is a valuable program that helps millions. We want it to be equitable and funded so it lasts.
Sorry, your fellow right winger on this thread already spilled the beans.

You can cut that act, like you care about middle class benefits.

Right wingers want to kill SS because it's been a wonderful example of good government. It has a low 1% overhead.

But like I say. Any voters stupid enough to vote GOP deserves to have their SS taken away.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Hey man, I'll gladly pay for the welfare if you will can the "it's for your own good" crap. I'm good on my own savings, thanks.
Me, me, me...I'm good....I'm good.....LOL

This isn't about being greedy, and selfish.

It's about being humane and civilized to elderly people who aren't as blessed as you are.

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-01-2012 at 04:21 AM..

Old 04-30-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Yeah, sorry, I don't speak for him.

I'd be much more amenable to some type of reform than you peoples' current plan, ie, pretend everything is just fine or raise taxes (and you're delusional if you think the middle class won't get hit).

Quote:
Me, me, me...I'm good....I'm good.....LOL

This isn't about being greedy, and selfish.

It's about being humane and civilized to elderly people who aren't as blessed as you are.
Did you even read what I said?

Old 04-30-2012, 10:29 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,417,223 times
Quote:

You can cut that act, like you care about middle class benefits.

Right wingers want to kill SS because it's been a wonderful example of good government. It has a low 1% overhead.

But like I say. Any voters stupid enough to vote GOP deserves to have their SS taken away.
You clearly live your life in absolutes. The world is not black and white (or blue and red).

Old 04-30-2012, 10:38 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,678 times
Quote:
HA. I'm a mean natured radical, because I want to save my own money?

Boo ****in hoo.
What about the fact that people paid into it out of their own pockets and expect it to be given back?

It is MUCH different than getting something by sitting on your butt.....

Find a way to reform it, like raise the age to 70, but do not get rid of it

Old 04-30-2012, 10:44 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werone View Post
Don't act like you know it all because I know you don't.
When it comes to Social Security/Medicare I do.

I started studying the Social Security/Medicare problem in 2004 at university, so it isn't like I just started yesterday. There is a "Search" function on this forum, so it isn't like you can't find information on the issue.

Quote:
I for one don't want to hear you bash anyone, you come across as the angry idiot.
I'll bet you're the blog writer.

Anyone who foists something called "Social Security Facts" upon City-Data forum members and then holds it out to be factual when it contains nothing but gibberish and is devoid of relevant and pertinent facts deserves to be bashed.

As I recall, you said...

Quote:
I want to know. Let's do some fact checking here. Keep your opinions to yourselves and let's practice using logic and referenced data.

From Social Security Facts - A Noir World
...and then you failed to do any fact-checking and failed to practice logic (as you demanded others do).

And then you made two more demands....

Quote:
Where is the fact checking. Who in the government? Its just opinion without references.
Quote:
So who's telling the truth? Where is the math.
....and still failed or refused to follow your own demands.

Quote:
...and if your position has always been correct then you are a god.
My position with respect to Social Security/Medicare has always been correct; I've never been wrong since I started in 2006.

In 2008, when SSA was claiming day-to-day operations were solvent through 2017, I called their bluff.

Why? Because I knew you were heading into a recession. And when I joined this forum in 2007, I said exactly when you'd be in a recession and I was right. And it was because you entered into a recession that Social Security became insolvent on their day-to-day operations.

I figured it out, years in advance, but for some reason your government tax-payer paid highly expensive "you-Harvard" idiots missed the boat.

Of course, I use raw numbers for everything, which gives me a look at reality, instead of using "seasonally adjusted" numbers which is someone's fantasy view of what should be happening.

Your idiot blogger flopped big-time.

All he had to do is read the June 2011 Social Security Actuarial Report (although a lot of good that would do -- he wouldn't understand any of it).

It states quite clearly in no uncertain terms that the Social Security Administration ("SSA") projects it will be making annual benefits payments in excess of $1 TRILLION per year by the year 2020.

SSA can make those benefit payments if and only if it collects in excess of $1 TRILLION per year in FICA tax revenues.

Right? I mean, that is logic, which you demanded every (except your blogger) use.

The question then is can SSA collect $1+ TRILLION in FICA tax revenues for that year and every year thereafter.

The answer is a resounding "NO."

SSA believes that it will, but then SSA also believes the US economy will grow at an annual rate of 4.1% GDP to 6.4% GDP. For the reasons I previously stated, that is an impossibility.

If the average annual GDP rate has been 2.89% since 1961, and if the US GDP has never exceeded 4.0% since 1970, and if the only reason the GDP was ~4.0% in the 1960s was due to the fact that the US was still industrializing in the Agricultural Sector, then what moron would make a claim that the US GDP would grow at 4.1%?

That is an example of logic using facts (which your blogger knows nothing about).

So then how incompetent are the over-paid "you-Harvards" economists working for the government? Very incompetent. You'd have to be daft to come up with a GDP forecast like that.

In addition to the fact that SSA's revenue assumptions are predicated on GDP growth rates that are unattainable, there are several economic conditions which must exist in order to have even a small chance of meeting the revenue assumptions. Those conditions are:

1] An unemployment rate of ~5%; and

2] A labor participation rate greater than 66.5%; and

3] An underemployment rate of 6% or less.

It is not my fault that in 1994 during the Clinton Administration, the status of part-time employees was changed from "unemployed" to "employed."

That gives a false picture of the economy.

Your blogger should have been able to figure that out, assuming they had a clue as to what they were talking about.

So what happens when SSA has to pay out $1+ TRILLION on or around 2020 but is only collecting $750 Billion in FICA taxes?

Oooops.

You will have to pull that money from the OASI Trust Fund.

What happens when the OASI is depleted?

You're going to have to find $350 Billion lying about somewhere and if you cannot, then you will have to slash the benefits for Social Security beneficiaries.

A lot of people are under the mistaken and misguided impression that if only we tax the "rich" our troubles will end.

I'm not saying you should or shouldn't eliminate the cap, I'm just saying there are negative consequences for doing so.

Okay, so let's eliminate the cap. You get about $75 Billion extra.

Great, now you only need to find $275 Billion somewhere.

You can tax the "rich." Oh, wait, you're already taxing the "rich." Ooopps.

You have no choice but to raise the FICA payroll tax for all employees. The FICA tax needs to be at least 9.0%. For someone earning $45,000 per year, that means they'll lose $112 per month.

No big deal right?

Everyone can afford to lose $112/month and they won't miss it.

And the States? No big deal. The States can afford to lose $1.35 Billion in sales tax revenues (from the loss of $112 per worker), right? Well of course the States can afford to lose $Billions in sales tax revenues, and we know that, because every single State has slashed their sales taxes over the last several years, right? Wrong.

So let's not raise the FICA tax rate, but you still need $275 Billion. What programs are you going to cut to get the money? HUD? Education? Defense? Hometard Security? Food Stamps?

You can always "borrow" the money. At $275 Billion then every 4 years your National Debt will increase $1 TRILLION. What will the US credit rating be then? CCC+? Oh joy.

Maybe I should change my attitude to this: The 6.3 Billion non-US citizens of Earth have a moral and ethical duty and obligation to fund the National Debt of the United States.

That will solve all problems.

I'll say it again, your blogger is an idiot, and it isn't my fault you didn't fact-check your blogger's idiotic comments before foisting them on people here.

People have no idea what is in store for them in the future. Most of them blissfully meander about and won't figure it out it smacks them right in the face. The last thing they need is stupid internet bloggers confusing the hell out of them.

Yes, Social Security is going bankrupt and the cost to save it will ripple throughout the US, negatively impacting States, counties, cities and people, not to mention business and industry.

And that doesn't even address the issue of Medicare.

Laughing at the superior intellect...

Mircea

Old 04-30-2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
What about the fact that people paid into it out of their own pockets and expect it to be given back?

It is MUCH different than getting something by sitting on your butt.....

Find a way to reform it, like raise the age to 70, but do not get rid of it
Forgive me, I should have clarified. I am absolutely not saying that we should tell people who've been paying into it for 50 years that they won't get anything.

I just fear that in my future, that's what'll happen, unless some major changes are made, or someone can show me how social security will stay solvent through 2060.

So I'd like to save my own money.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:20 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,278,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

I'll bet you're the blog writer.

Anyone who foists something called "Social Security Facts" upon City-Data forum members and then holds it out to be factual when it contains nothing but gibberish and is devoid of relevant and pertinent facts deserves to be bashed.

As I recall, you said...

...and then you failed to do any fact-checking and failed to practice logic (as you demanded others do).

And then you made two more demands....

....and still failed or refused to follow your own demands.

My position with respect to Social Security/Medicare has always been correct; I've never been wrong since I started in 2006.

In 2008, when SSA was claiming day-to-day operations were solvent through 2017, I called their bluff.

Why? Because I knew you were heading into a recession. And when I joined this forum in 2007, I said exactly when you'd be in a recession and I was right. And it was because you entered into a recession that Social Security became insolvent on their day-to-day operations.

I figured it out, years in advance, but for some reason your government tax-payer paid highly expensive "you-Harvard" idiots missed the boat.

Of course, I use raw numbers for everything, which gives me a look at reality, instead of using "seasonally adjusted" numbers which is someone's fantasy view of what should be happening.

Your idiot blogger flopped big-time.

All he had to do is read the June 2011 Social Security Actuarial Report (although a lot of good that would do -- he wouldn't understand any of it).

It states quite clearly in no uncertain terms that the Social Security Administration ("SSA") projects it will be making annual benefits payments in excess of $1 TRILLION per year by the year 2020.

SSA can make those benefit payments if and only if it collects in excess of $1 TRILLION per year in FICA tax revenues.

Right? I mean, that is logic, which you demanded every (except your blogger) use.

The question then is can SSA collect $1+ TRILLION in FICA tax revenues for that year and every year thereafter.

In addition to the fact that SSA's revenue assumptions are predicated on GDP growth rates that are unattainable, there are several economic conditions which must exist in order to have even a small chance of meeting the revenue assumptions. Those conditions are:

1] An unemployment rate of ~5%; and

2] A labor participation rate greater than 66.5%; and

3] An underemployment rate of 6% or less.

It is not my fault that in 1994 during the Clinton Administration, the status of part-time employees was changed from "unemployed" to "employed."

That gives a false picture of the economy.

Your blogger should have been able to figure that out, assuming they had a clue as to what they were talking about.

So what happens when SSA has to pay out $1+ TRILLION on or around 2020 but is only collecting $750 Billion in FICA taxes?

Oooops.

You will have to pull that money from the OASI Trust Fund.

What happens when the OASI is depleted?

You're going to have to find $350 Billion lying about somewhere and if you cannot, then you will have to slash the benefits for Social Security beneficiaries.

A lot of people are under the mistaken and misguided impression that if only we tax the "rich" our troubles will end.

I'm not saying you should or shouldn't eliminate the cap, I'm just saying there are negative consequences for doing so.

Okay, so let's eliminate the cap. You get about $75 Billion extra.

Great, now you only need to find $275 Billion somewhere.

You can tax the "rich." Oh, wait, you're already taxing the "rich." Ooopps.

Maybe I should change my attitude to this: The 6.3 Billion non-US citizens of Earth have a moral and ethical duty and obligation to fund the National Debt of the United States.

That will solve all problems.

I'll say it again, your blogger is an idiot, and it isn't my fault you didn't fact-check your blogger's idiotic comments before foisting them on people here.

Laughing at the superior intellect...

Mircea
Not my blog.

We all specialize in areas we choose. You obviously have studied this subject.

I posted what seemed illogical, and in very few posts I got the gist of the issue with the link to the programs trustees' data.

I also got your response, which is thorough and worth probably hours of studying.

All of that on one forum, I would call that efficient. I got what I wanted. And the information is here on record. Next time I believe I will search for previous discussions, and hope that they are not pissing contests.

Sharing your knowledge keeps you sharp, and you don't have to be condescending. The blogger has every right to say whatever he wants, but if he's making data up then I will gladly point out his errors, as I am sure you would also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies