Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 08:24 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Depends on the dog.

Yes, you could probably eat a chihuaua in a sandwich, while a labrador would feed a whole family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 08:25 AM

15,531 posts, read 10,504,683 times
So, I guess it's okay to eat humans if you live in New Guinea.

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
I've eaten raw horsemeat in Japan at a snack bar. It didn't change me much.

Rob Schneider The Animal - YouTube

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Nice strawman.
It isn't a straw man, it is a one of the flaws in the relativistic position that you were holding.

Why is eating a human bad and dog ok? Why is a cannibalistic culture wrong for doing such?

When you begin to give off various reasons to support your position, keep in mind that others do the same concerning this and many other issues that conflict between cultures and their moral lines.

edit:

And by the way, a straw man would be me adjusting your argument to a position of fallacy and then easily knocking down that fallacy. You simply did not consider your entire position and the weakness it has.

Now certainly you can tell us there are exceptions, but if we state according to relativistic position, "there are no absolutes" (I know, it is a failed philosophical statement, but I didn't create it, nor do I think it is correct), then you can not create exceptions as all must be equally valid with the only contingency of its correctness simply being the natural existence and function of its application. Since cannibalistic societies actually exist and have for ages, within specific societies, then according to that principal of relativism, it is valid.

So based on that position, it would be considered ethnocentric to call it wrong would it not?

Last edited by Nomander; 04-30-2012 at 08:33 AM..

Old 04-30-2012, 08:30 AM

2,095 posts, read 2,581,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Eating monkeys - as well as other primates - should be criticized strictly out of health concerns. It's risky to butcher and eat such evolutionarily closely related creatures. How do you think SIV/HIV made the jump from monkey to human?

That brings me, as a meat eater, to my 3 basic criterion for consumable animals:

1) Only tasty animals should be eaten
2) Only plentiful, non-threatened or non-endangered animals should be eaten
3) Evolutionarily close relatives of Humans - in other words other primates - should not be eaten for health reasons

So to answer the OP - no, it's not wrong to eat dog meat.
Mostly agree with this. I would also add that humans can get certain diseases from eating infected animals. For example eating beef from cows infected with BSE can cause certain degenerative nuerological disorders. We really should limit or even end the consumption of beef because of this issue.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:35 AM

12,963 posts, read 13,679,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
YES. Dogs are unlike ANY other animal. What other animals can lead the blind, rescue/track a missing person, alert someone who has epilepsy or diabetes, locate cancer cells by smell?? The list of what canines are capable of is endless.
Pigs are smarter than dogs and they're whats for breakfast.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:39 AM

50,295 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
YES. Dogs are unlike ANY other animal. What other animals can lead the blind, rescue/track a missing person, alert someone who has epilepsy or diabetes, locate cancer cells by smell?? The list of what canines are capable of is endless.
pigs can

Old 04-30-2012, 08:44 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
I saw a monkey pick termites from a mound with a stick on TV.
New, Delicious Species Discovered | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Old 04-30-2012, 08:47 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Pigs are smarter than dogs and they're whats for breakfast.
True, but they have many limitations outside of such as it concerns practical use.

Dogs are predatory animals and make excellent hunter tools, protection, and companionship to which pigs, while maybe comparable in some abilities of a dog, lack the overall benefits of such.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:50 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
Quote:
Pigs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies