Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 06:50 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,398,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post
Independent nation-states are one possibility, but another possibility is an alliance between states (probably similar to the Confederacy).

For instance, culture/ideology is regional throughout the country. The West, East, Midwest, South, etc. have differing views regarding the Constitution, States Rights, Immigration, and so on.

States are suing the Fed. Government and vice versa. I just have a feeling that secession will become a possibility in the near future if current trends prevail.
You're the winner. You answered your own question. Why even start the thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 06:51 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
I think most of the ranting you see is male menopause. Moody aging guys with declining testosterone and fits of impotent rage. They are way too old to fight, but not to old to wear three cornered hats and talk feisty and to sit around listening to Limbaugh all day.

Now the Millennials are really getting screwed, and they might just do something desperate. Though honestly, I think none of us (young or old) wants to break up the union though. Where else would we have freedom to whine all day long about the lowest taxes in a generation, and those 401ks that are going through the roof, and all those student loans we want someone else to pay? Noone else would have us!

Old 05-04-2012, 07:04 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,098,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Beebe View Post
This again?

The facts are that the economy is improving. Deny it all you like, it won't make you any more correct.
I'm just asking you how you figure that the economy is improving.

Stating "the facts are that the economy is improving" is not a logical, rational, statement. What "facts" are you talking about?

Also, I didn't deny that the economy is improving, I asked whether or not you are using manipulated government data to draw your conclusions. Logical fallacy number 2.

Also, this thread isn't concerned with whether or not you or I perceive that the economy is/isn't improving, it is concerned with revolution/secession. Stick to the topic.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:05 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,475,445 times
Everything always seems worse on the internet.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:08 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,098,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
Really?

Does it seem worse because it is real people talking about real issues in their life instead of some indoctrinated journalist from the New York Times feeding us the news?

Frankly, many Americans are getting fed up with the PC media institutions in this country, as well as the two party stranglehold on our politics and their influence in the media.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:08 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
Quote:
Really?

Does it seem worse because it is real people talking about real issues in their life instead of some indoctrinated journalist from the New York Times feeding us the news?
Honestly, it mostly feels worse on this corner of the net at least because there are a lot of crazy extremists who hang out here. But that's also what makes it rather entertaining at times.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:09 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
To preface this, I would like to state that this topic has nothing to do with partisan politics, race, ideology, etc. Leave 3rd grade tactics at home for this one. If you leave a grown up response, I will reply. If you resort to childish, illogical ad hominem attacks, I will not.

With that being said, has anybody else noticed a growing wave of secessionist/revolutionary talk in the air?

Personally, I feel like this country is reaching a turning/boiling point. The ideological and racial divides are becoming more pronounced as the economy continues to stagnate (besides the bankers on Wall Street). I have been noticing a dramatic shift in the thoughts/ideas about this country within the past 9 months-year.

Is it just me, or are other people experiencing this as well?
Secession? Who would secede from whom?

And what's "Revoltion"?

Old 05-04-2012, 08:39 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
I don't see secession but I can picture revolt. The people will demand more of the government in the form of subsidy programs and if the government doesn't give it to them..well...

Old 05-04-2012, 09:03 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,134,390 times
Quote:
Independent nation-states are one possibility, but another possibility is an alliance between states (probably similar to the Confederacy).

For instance, culture/ideology is regional throughout the country. The West, East, Midwest, South, etc. have differing views regarding the Constitution, States Rights, Immigration, and so on.

States are suing the Fed. Government and vice versa. I just have a feeling that secession will become a possibility in the near future if current trends prevail.
Confederacies don’t work well and that type of government will never work with the American culture. An example of independent nation states not working well in a current prospective would be the European Union. You see power more and more being centralized. You need a strong federal government to keep things standardized and glued together.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:13 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,134,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
Quote:
Really?

Frankly, many Americans are getting fed up with the PC media institutions in this country, as well as the two party stranglehold on our politics and their influence in the media.
No it seems worst because people can post sensationalist, bias BS anonymously without having any knowledge or authority in the subject being discussed. Also the net is full of more blogs and opinion sites than anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies