Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 09:58 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post
To preface this, I would like to state that this topic has nothing to do with partisan politics, race, ideology, etc. Leave 3rd grade tactics at home for this one. If you leave a grown up response, I will reply. If you resort to childish, illogical ad hominem attacks, I will not.

With that being said, has anybody else noticed a growing wave of secessionist/revolutionary talk in the air?

Personally, I feel like this country is reaching a turning/boiling point. The ideological and racial divides are becoming more pronounced as the economy continues to stagnate (besides the bankers on Wall Street). I have been noticing a dramatic shift in the thoughts/ideas about this country within the past 9 months-year.

Is it just me, or are other people experiencing this as well?
Not me.

Where do you get your data from? Just curious. The U.S. economy went from shrinking at a 6.7 percent annual rate in the first quarter of 2009 to expanding at a 3.8 percent annual rate in the fourth quarter of that year—a turnaround unprecedented in modern history.
http://www.dailymarkets.com/economy/...anywhere-else/
I don't think we shoud riot over.... things getting better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 11:37 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,098,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Not me.

Where do you get your data from? Just curious. The U.S. economy went from shrinking at a 6.7 percent annual rate in the first quarter of 2009 to expanding at a 3.8 percent annual rate in the fourth quarter of that year—a turnaround unprecedented in modern history.
Myth Of Decline: U.S. Is Stronger And Faster Than Anywhere Else
I don't think we shoud riot over.... things getting better.
I surely don't get my data from the "daily markets" blog.

I base my opinions on how the middle class is faring. You may be right, the economy may be "growing", depending on whatever metric economists like to use to manipulate data. But, if you haven't noticed, transfer payments are being made from the middle class to the rich and the dependent class. Income inequality is at insane levels. Wall Street is booming this year, so institutional investors and the upper classes gain higher returns, while companies are still reluctant to spend money on hiring. The housing market has yet to recover. More Americans are dependent on the government than ever before. 100 million Americans living in poverty. Now 100 million Americans are unemployed.

Yeah bro, the economy is on FIYA!

Old 05-04-2012, 11:51 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,230,075 times
Texans have been talking about secession since 1865! LOL. Nothing new.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:57 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post
Independent nation-states are one possibility, but another possibility is an alliance between states (probably similar to the Confederacy).
Here it is, the truth is OUT! You wouldn't happen to be from the South, would you, Timmy? The hidden agenda is unmasked! lol !

And to answer your question, no, I haven't heard a peep about secession or anything remotely related to it. But I don't live in the South.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Here it is, the truth is OUT! You wouldn't happen to be from the South, would you, Timmy? The hidden agenda is unmasked! lol !
You uncovered the conspiracy! You deserve a Nobel Peace Prize in investigative journalism! How dare I use the Confederacy as an example of a "Confederation" of states as opposed to singular states seceding.

Intro to Logic. Check it out "Ruth4Truth".

Old 05-05-2012, 12:11 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
But there are so many other examples you could have chosen. It's called a "Freudian slip".
How about the Six Nations Confederacy? Some historians feel it was the model for the federation of the original 13 states.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But there are so many other examples you could have chosen. It's called a "Freudian slip".
How about the Six Nations Confederacy? Some historians feel it was the model for the federation of the original 13 states.
No, I intentionally used the Confederacy as an example, no freudian slip. I could also have used the example of America under the Articles of Confederation. I would have opted for that in the first place if I had realized the thought police were out in force tonight.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:49 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
"Revoltion"? . Yeah, I'm revolted by the suggestion that secession is a possibility.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:27 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Beebe View Post
Economic stress causes uncertainty, and the Internet is a conduit for those feelings. I would submit that in my lifetime, there have been far worse social and (to a lesser extent than the 2008 crisis) economic times (late 60's, early 70's) that we navigated successfully. As the economy continues to improve, angst will wane.
I agree. When times are bad; many people including me, get edgy.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:32 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I think most of the ranting you see is male menopause. Moody aging guys with declining testosterone and fits of impotent rage. They are way too old to fight, but not to old to wear three cornered hats and talk feisty and to sit around listening to Limbaugh all day.

Now the Millennials are really getting screwed, and they might just do something desperate. Though honestly, I think none of us (young or old) wants to break up the union though. Where else would we have freedom to whine all day long about the lowest taxes in a generation, and those 401ks that are going through the roof, and all those student loans we want someone else to pay? Noone else would have us!
My generation is pissed off. From the top down. The unemployment/underemployment rate for Americans under 25 is over 50%!!!

Over 50%!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies