Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 06:19 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times

Advertisements

Worker productivity drops in the 1st qtr. Some believe that Companies have sqeezed as much productivity out of workers as possible.

Hours in general for employees have gone up, while wages adjusted for inflation have gone down.

Maybe they will start to hire more people as productivity stays the same.

U.S. productivity drops in Q1, hours rise strongly | Reuters | Business News |
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 07:42 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,747 times
There is a Russian saying reported in Harrison Salisbury's book The Russians. It translates to "If you pretend to pay me to work, I will pretend to work." It was a commentary on the fact that in the Soviet Union you were paid in roubles that you could spend in empty stores or on vacations you couldn't take because you needed a Travel Permit. They just piled up in state bank accounts. So Slackers of the World Unite, the right to slack is the only right you have that and your chains!

Old 05-04-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
There is a Russian saying reported in Harrison Salisbury's book The Russians. It translates to "If you pretend to pay me to work, I will pretend to work." It was a commentary on the fact that in the Soviet Union you were paid in roubles that you could spend in empty stores or on vacations you couldn't take because you needed a Travel Permit. They just piled up in state bank accounts. So Slackers of the World Unite, the right to slack is the only right you have that and your chains!
At some point, an employee is faced with the dilema of more and more work with less and less pay. Employees will adjust their effort to reflect the compensation.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:01 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
a lot of my friends work in union blue collar jobs for several large companies, and for the last several years, esp. since the crash of 08, they have been pushing like crazy to get more work out of them. All production is closely monitored, documented, sliced & diced by computer. In the last year they've had a ton of injuries due to guys trying to do things overly rushed.

There was a news story about amazon that I posted in a similar vein. A warehouse w/ ambulances parked outside because people were getting heat stroke or whatever.
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...w-economy.html

Old 05-04-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
a lot of my friends work in union blue collar jobs for several large companies, and for the last several years, esp. since the crash of 08, they have been pushing like crazy to get more work out of them. All production is closely monitored, documented, sliced & diced by computer. In the last year they've had a ton of injuries due to guys trying to do things overly rushed.

There was a news story about amazon that I posted in a similar vein. A warehouse w/ ambulances parked outside because people were getting heat stroke or whatever.
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...w-economy.html
With Unions the only way to get the pay lower is to have a company in trouble. Not so with a non unionized company. In a non unionized company if increase in productivity stagnates a company can just lay off a large group of employees and hire new employees at lower rates and thereby not affect the bottom line. Of course, this only works when you have a pool of people willing to take a lower wage job such as the environment that we are in right now.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:09 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
With Unions the only way to get the pay lower is to have a company in trouble. Not so with a non unionized company. In a non unionized company if increase in productivity stagnates a company can just lay off a large group of employees and hire new employees at lower rates and thereby not affect the bottom line. Of course, this only works when you have a pool of people willing to take a lower wage job such as the environment that we are in right now.
Bingo..in while collar it's called "offshoring".

Old 05-04-2012, 09:56 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Bingo..in while collar it's called "offshoring".

Often you don't have to offshore, all you need to do is license your design your technology and trade marks to the Chinese or Indians, then keep exclusive marketing rights for the US and Canada. A real win win situation
and if need be you can pay them to build the factory and sell them the production equipment which you don't need anymore. This means you can really right size a company and get rid of those cost centers called engineers. The perfect company has a handful of obscenely paid senior managment and a bunch of naive 20 something sales associates or service representatives who actually buy this crap about getting rich and being the CEO one day but work on commission and are just a shortfall on their sales quota from a termination. It really funny when they learn that termination for cause means you don't get unemployment compensation! The American Way V 6.0 (sorry Steve Earle).

Old 05-04-2012, 09:58 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,785,487 times
Well when working (in my day) when they pushed for more - My reply was... .. If you don't like this speed you ain't gonna like the next! I'll walk off a job in a heart beat if they start giving me chit! I had that "luxury" for 40 years.. .. in the IBEW

Old 05-04-2012, 10:26 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
There is two reasons why productivity would fall.

Quote:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Nonfarm productivity fell in the first quarter as companies hired more workers to maintain output
When these companies were laying off people the bulk of those getting layed off would have fit into two categories. People making a lot of money that could be replaced by someone with lower wages and the least productive employees. You're left with the best employees for the least amount of money. Note I'm not suggesting that everyone that was layed off was a slacker, there was a lot of good people that lost their jobs.

New hires will be inexperienced or the undesirables, it's inevitable production will decrease if companies are hiring new employees.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:46 AM

4,563 posts, read 4,101,921 times
Reminds me of Animal Farm and the horse's mantra "I will work harder", until he gets old and can't work harder....then off to the glue factory
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies