Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2012, 10:42 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,727,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
^^^^That was a poll, meaningless for this thread.
It's completely relevant to the comment I was responding to.

Quote:
North Carolina voted, and they have 58% against homosexual marraige.
They have a Democracy, they voted, the people have spoken. It doesn't really matter what a poll says. That state has made up their mind.
"The state" includes the state Supreme Court. We'll see what they have to say about it.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:43 PM

371 posts, read 444,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Your an idiot.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:44 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,022,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Not everyone conceives children after a sex act. There are infertile heterosexual couples who can't and don't want to have children.

Not all children born from incest have severe disabilities. Inbreeding only enhances undesirable, recessive traits. Healthy siblings w/ no troublesome recessive traits would produce healthy offspring. To give an example, every single purebred animal, from Golden Retrievers to Siamese cats to Shetland ponies were produced and enhanced through inbreeding.

And, going along w/ your post, should straight couples w/ genes for genetic disorders/abnormalities like dwarfism and hemophilia not be allowed to get married b/c any children they produce will have physical and mental disabilities?

So, ONCE AGAIN, if an infertile brother and sister in love wanted to marry, how does that affect you or anyone else?
Yawn. I guess this was a bait and switch sort of argument on your part to try and make it seem like I don't believe infertile people should marry at all. Ridicuous. If two infertile people of the opposite sex want to marry one another, I see no problem at all. However, I do not think we should support the unions of siblings, which is not only socially unacceptable but highly likely to result in the production of retarded offspring. Most heterosexual couples have no idea whether their children will be handicapped or not. With sibling produced offsprings, the chances are extremely high. The gays don't like their unions being compared to that of animals, so please don't bring that into the debate...

Dwarfism isn't the same as mental retardation. Dwarfs can live productive lives and many have as much of an ability to function as someone of a normal height. Also two parents who a dwarfs can frequently produce normal sized children.

Sorry that your bait and switch argument failed....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
50% of marriages end in divorce, especially among Christians. I've heard as high as 70% of spouses will commit adultery.

Don't insult our intelligence by claiming most people respect marriage. Marriage is a joke in this country. Heterosexuals have destroyed marriage, not gays.
So people who get divorced don't respect marriage? What a load of bull and an insult to millions. People don't get marriage with the intent to divorce. Why go through the trouble?

29,094 posts, read 26,072,044 times
Quote:
They fall under "religious conservatives". So no.
umm...you do realize that having a belief in a supreme being has nothing to do with political idealogy, don't you? There are religious liberals and thee are conservative atheists. I think you need to expand your view of the world. It isn't all right or left or spiritual and atheist. People are more complex than that.

Quote:
It still baffles me that in the 21st Century, in the supposed greatest nation on earth (what a joke that is), gays are still being mistreated and discriminated against.
Hmm. I see it differently. There's been a sea-change in attitudes toward homosexuality over the past 20 years - even the past 5 years.

Patience, grasshopper. Things are going our way in the long run.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:45 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,715,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I'm jazzed about this outcome for another reason: North Carolina is a swing state, and this proves that conservatives are by and large paying attention this election season. Of all years to get conservatives' attention, 2012 is the year to do it in. Leave it to gay marriage to generate that attention. I'm sure voting today felt very good to them......perhaps it will be a feeling they will be eager to relive in November in the pursuit to oust Barack Obama. I think what we've seen here tonight in NC is the opening salvo to what is to be a red state again in November.
To really keep comfortable for the Republicans, the voter margin of victory should have been closer to 70 or 80 per cent when the same question was presented to other Southern states in the past. Surely, the way vote margins are falling in favor of the ban must not look good to opponents of gay marriage. Further, there's not many states left to get people to vote to ban marriage and attract Republicans to the polls. Other questions will have to be thought of in 2012 to motivate Republicans to get to the polls, especially if Romney can't do it.

Quote:
Well, that's all fine and dandy except this vote was to amend the Constutution. That has a little more finality to it. A vote to overturn it will be quite the challenge.
Yes, that's true, but it doesn't negate what I said: Attitudes are changing in favor of accepting homosexuality.

29,094 posts, read 26,072,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Not sure if you've noticed just about everything the GOP has been doing lately? Nearly all inspired by religion...
Elaborate, please - so i don't have to guess and possibly misrepresent your position.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:47 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,806,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
umm...you do realize that having a belief in a supreme being has nothing to do with political idealogy, don't you?
You do realize all the anti-gay, marriage is between one man one woman junk, is almost exclusively religiously motivated right?

Most atheists have no problem with gay marriage, because they don't base their views on a bad interpretation of a 4000 year old Israelite law.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:47 PM

11,448 posts, read 14,495,118 times
Quote:
How many minorities are we going to manufacture in this nation? Where will we draw the line?
Oh I know...it's such an outrage!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies