Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2012, 12:20 AM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyTrav View Post
If California has repeatedly voted it banned
ONCE that I recall, and I've lived in this state for almost 30 years... oh, and that Prop has already been declared unconstitutional (as this one may too). Whoopsie.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:21 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,024,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
ONCE that I recall, and I've lived in this state for almost 30 years... oh, and that Prop has already been declared unconstitutional (as this one may too). Whoopsie.
You have forgotten about Proposition 22 in 2000. I am proud to say that I voted to preserve marriage in California both times. The difference between 22 and 8 was that Prop 8 ammended the state constitution while Prop 22 only affected the state codes. Both were struck down by judges with agendas who ignored the clear will of the people.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I do not have "repressed" attraction to individuals of the same gender - I could choose to do so if I wished - but I don't. Sorry that you disagree - but who one is attracted to is a choice. You can ask the many people who used to be homosexuals and are no longer - they had a choice just like everyone does.
Bull hockey. Have you ever made a conscious choice to be attracted to somebody? If so, that was not a natural attraction and will never be a lasting/loving relationship. I can't believe people still buy into this nonsense, when NOBODY (gay or straight) says they can control natural attractions. Ex-gay is just another word for repressed homosexual, as we generally can choose whether or not to sleep with somebody... but that says nothing about inner desires & attractions. Do you think Anna Nicole Smith was attracted to that ancient man, or did she just suck it up for the money? Chances are it's the latter, and "ex-gay" or closeted folks do the same exact thing - just switch money for reputation. Sorry!

Do you really think she was aroused by this kiss? I'm guessing she was only thinking a combination of "Cha-ching" and George Clooney.
http://img2.bdbphotos.com/images/ori...kugypwjogy.jpg

Old 05-09-2012, 12:27 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,472,910 times
Quote:
The entire argument that people are "naturally" attracted to one gender or another is just a smokescreen used in an attempt to provide normality and legitamacy to an unnatural lifestyle that every human civilization agrees is immoral.

Homosexuality is abberant and is a choice. If one chooses to be gay - that is fine with me - I am generally libertarian in my positions concerning laws - and while I find homosexuality to be morally wrong - I am not willing to regulate by law what two consenting individuals can do in private. I do draw the line at the legal sanction of marriage.

Marriage is the union of a man and a woman - period. Homosexual relationships consist of two members of the same gender - they cannot be married. They can get a civil union - and I will shed blood to defend the ability for that contract to be enforced. I will not condone the term marriage being applied to such a relationship.
Absurd.

People choose to be bigots.

People also choose to be religious and then cherry pick their bible to condone their bigotry.

However nobody chooses to be gay. It's found in hundreds of species, while homophobia is found in only one.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:32 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times
Quote:
What is really odd is that people thnk that this amendment changes something - it doesn't - it only clarifies what has always been so - that marriage is the union of a man and a woman.
Wrong. It bans civil unions in North Carolina, which were not banned previously.

Quote:
Gays can already form civil unons.
They couldn't in North Carolina.

Your posts on this issue are ignorant on all counts. You know so little about the details of this amendment, it's astounding to me that you're being so prolific about it. With every post, it's just getting worse.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Absurd.

People choose to be bigots.
True - and I despise bigots.

Quote:
People also choose to be religious and then cherry pick their bible to condone their bigotry.
Not all religious people read the Bible - you have heard of Muslims, Hindus, Bhuddists, and Animists - to name a few religions that don't use the Bible - haven't you?

Quote:
However nobody chooses to be gay. It's found in hundreds of species, while homophobia is found in only one.
What is "homophobia"? Is it the fear of homosexuals? If so - can you give me an example of someone who has this condition? I doubt that the people who voted for the amendment in N.C. all had "homophobia".

Old 05-09-2012, 12:41 AM

Quote:
True - and I despise bigots.
Then please stop being one! You might support some aspects of gay rights, equality, etc, but tolerance isn't something you can half-arse. Considering your views regarding the nature of sexuality/orientation and attraction, I wonder if you're just that uninformed - or if it's simply a cover for hate, which is more often the case.

Quote:
Not all religious people read the Bible - you have heard of Muslims, Hindus, Bhuddists, and Animists - to name a few religions that don't use the Bible - haven't you?
Totally irrelevant to their point, but you are correct. I am a Reform Jew, and while we do read the (Hebrew) Bible, we also welcome gay congregants with open arms and NO judgment.

Quote:
What is "homophobia"? Is it the fear of homosexuals? If so - can you give me an example of someone who has this condition? I doubt that the people who voted for the amendment in N.C. all had "homophobia".
We've been over this before, but here's that old definition once again:

homophobia (ˌhəʊməʊˈfəʊbɪə)
— n
Intense hatred or fear of homosexuals or homosexuality

Not every English word is defined literally, and some terms take on additional meanings... as you can see above, "homophobia" describes both fear of AND hatred towards homosexuals.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:43 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,778,062 times
The North Carolina vote is proof positive America is turning into a Third World hellhole. Three generations of Dysgenic Fertility and Dysgenic Immigration (I may have just coined a term here...), and our 'leaders' have succeeded in electing a new people...a stupid, evil people, too moronic to see that Gay Marriage is no threat to anybody.

Expect for things to get progressively worse for Gays and for Women, as our once-great nation continues dumbing-down.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:44 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,571,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
If you're got a bachelor's degree, it usually means you're better-educated than someone who has only completed high school. And better-educated areas support same-sex marriage in greater numbers than lesser-educated areas. That's a fact, Jack.
College does not teach morals, or right from wrong. Colleges indoctrinate to a liberal mindset, that everything is relative. Marriage is not relative, it has a definition. You are rejecting religious teaching, for the cult of gov't to grant you approval.
You are free to sleep with whoever you want as long as they consent. Why do you want to wrap a gov't issued piece of paper around their neck. If you love them, set them free.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Then please stop being one!
How can I "stop being" something that I am not? Your opinion does not equate to actuality. I do not hate anyone - I do believe certain lifestyles are wrong - that is not bigotry - it is a moral judgment. Do you think that stealing is wrong? If so - does this mean that you hate thieves? I would hope that the answer to the first question is yes and suspect that the answer to the second is no. If I am correct in that accessment - it makes your accusations that I am hateful just a bunch of hyperbole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies