Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2012, 09:23 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatles4evr View Post
It's real simple. To protect the normal citizen from the drug-addicted filth-holes who think the world is one big ashtray, and that others should just endure the stench and distress exposure to their effluent causes.
If you walk up to a bar and the sign says "Smoking allowed" at what point are you being subjected to anything other than your own free choice to enter that bar?

Old 05-09-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I am willing to bet that smokers drink more because of the stimulant effect from the nicotine.
I don't know if you drink more but certainly you will smoke more while drinking.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:29 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
Well, then they souldn't allow parents feed their kids with saturated-fat junk food in order to prevent heart diseases and all sorts of health issues
By all means, feel free to write your Congressional representatives about this issue. As far as prohibiting second-hand smoke around children goes, that one is already law. If it's important to you to endanger your kids' or other people's kids' health, then you can write your representatives to get the law repealed. Perhaps you weren't subjected to this when you were a kid, but I was. It was awful. Studies show that second-hand smoke can aggravate asthma in kids, and can have negative health effects similar to adult smoking, that's why smoking around kids was prohibited. Sorry it cramps your style. Everyone here is free to organize a lobby and do something about the laws they don't like.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:29 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
I am so glad hotels are going non-smoking. I used to worry that someone would fall asleep with a lit cigarette and burn the place down.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:32 AM

867 posts, read 498,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Irrelevant argument because there is private places the public can enter where you can shoot a gun or defecate. People that don't like guns or private bathrooms the public may use typically choose not to go to these places. Problem solved!
Can you try to make sense text time. If you do, I promise to respond.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:34 AM

867 posts, read 498,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If you walk up to a bar and the sign says "Smoking allowed" at what point are you being subjected to anything other than your own free choice to enter that bar?
If you walk up to a bar and the sign says "Assaulting other patrons allowed" at what point are you being subjected to anything other than your own free choice to enter that bar?[/quote]

Old 05-09-2012, 09:38 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Because smoking does not equate to not drinking alcohol. In fact, I am willing to bet that smokers drink more because of the stimulant effect from the nicotine.

Nevertheless, my money is on the drunk guy running someone over, the smoker.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Can you try to make sense text time. If you do, I promise to respond.
It's very simple to understand, if people do not like an activity they avoid it. For example if you walk up to a bar and the sign says "Smoking allowed" at this point you need to make a decision as an adult to either enter or go elsewhere. Most adults are fully capable of making this decision for themselves, being able to make your own personal decisions is part of being an adult. Why is it you are unable too?

Old 05-09-2012, 09:40 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
1. Smokers are filthy, drug-addicted dregs of society. The foulest of the foul

2. Same reason you can't shoot a gun into the air, or defecate on the sidewalk. It adversely affects everyone else who your filth is inflicted on.
"Beatles4evr" - John Lennon smoked four packs a day, do you think he was the "dregs of society" and "the foulest of the foul"?

Old 05-09-2012, 09:41 AM

913 posts, read 872,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
If you watch films that predate the 90's, you can see that smoking was virtually allowed anyplace in America: planes, restaurants, bars, public buildings, offices, etc. Now this is almost impossible to find, except for some particular places. I think smoking gives men that macho attiude and makes women sexy. What do you think? If America doesn't have socialized healthcare, why should the Government (stateside, county, local) prevent its citziens to smoke wherever they want?

nobody really supports the most smoking bans. private property owners were well within their rights to stop people from smoking in their restaurants, bars, clubs, malls, hospitals etc.

to be fair, there were places where bans were put in place long before the govt got their filthy noses involved. when i was a kid, smoking was permitted everywhere, from hospitals to doctors offices. slowly, over time, hospitals rightfully limited smoking as did most doctors. there were some restuarants and bars which did so too. the vast majority did not simply because those who wanted to smoke, wanted to smoke inside. those who didn't smoke did not make it enough of a priority.

when smoking ban proponents talk about the dangers of 2nd hand smoke, i call bs. the numbers just don't support the bs they're trying to shove down everyones throat. what really pisses me off is when they talk about a safe working environment. perhaps there is an additional 0.00001% risk that people who work in smokey bars are susceptible to lung cancer or emphysema. loggers, soldiers, fishermen, farmers, drillers etc all have to accept the risks which come with the territory, i don't see barmen any differently
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies