Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2012, 10:45 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
How about 21 as the cut off date to breastfeeding as you are so accepting of it being ok and where ever they want in public on any front of a magazine would be appropriate too . Say if that strapping young man needs nutrition , just breat feed him.. keep them healthy and close to mother. Why have a cut off year at all. You don't care how long a woman breastfeeds her child. Your own words.
I don't care. If you want to breastfeed your 45-year old husband - then that's your business, not mine. I'd still think it odd and I'd never do it, but again, it's not my business.

I know, I am morally depraved to be so accepting of others. To each their own - it makes life a whole lot easier since I don't have to be constantly offended, upset, and angry at everyone who doesn't do things the way I think they ought to be done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 10:45 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
I don't care how long a person breast feeds their child but I do find the picture to be in bad taste for the mother to be exploiting herself and her child for monitory gains and publicity.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:48 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredsnowman View Post
What is perverted about breastfeeding? The fact that you see breastfeeding as perverted is an issue that is worth exploring and suggests that you are hiding some extremely traumatic experiences from your past.
This issue further reveals how uncomfortable conservatives are with freedom and demonstrates how they want to control everything. The conservative mind is a very sick mind indeed.
No where did I say breast feeding is perverted. I said this woman is perverted for putting herself on a cover feeding a grown child and exploiting her child with his picture on the cover.. He is a child and should not be on the cover..

Old 05-11-2012, 10:48 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Actually, I agree with you here. It's part of our "I'm right and you're wrong" culture. Breastfeeding until your kid is 4 doesn't make you a good mom, but it doesn't mean you're a bad mom or a weirdo if you do it. Why is it so hard to see that there are lots of viable choices when it comes to raising children and why can't we support each other in our efforts?
Exactly. The TIME cover annoys me, not for the image which does seem to be intentionally provocative, but because of two pieces of fallout: 1) stoking the flames of the mommy wars ("Are You Mom Enough?") and 2) giving ammunition to the folks who have a problem with nursing in public, no matter how discreetly. It just seems so pointless to me to have parents constantly at each others' throats because another parent chooses to do what works for his/her own family - there is no "one way" to raise a healthy family. And I have no patience for the anti-breastfeeding crowd. MYOB.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:49 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
The solution, as often, is quite easy: Don't look. If you don't like the magazine cover, don't buy the magazine.

Sex sells, provocation sells, fear sells. Since there are people who are obviously offended by this cover, Time has accomplished to get endless publicity at a minimum cost. That's how capitalism works.

To some, as you can read in this thread, this is a morality issue. To some, it's the act, to others, it's publishing a picture depicting breastfeeding.
You have zero understanding about capitalism. ZERO.

If Time's goal was to get publicity, they'll never pull themselves out of the sewer they're in. What are they? Down to a couple dozen pages per issue?

Their goal is to make money. You know............sell magazines.

FAIL!

I couldn't care less what they stick on their cover. The only time I might read that rag is in a waiting room. And I couldn't tell you the last time I saw an inbred hillbilly breastfeeding in public, so it's a non issue for me.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
No where did I say breast feeding is perverted. I said this woman is perverted for putting herself on a cover feeding a grown child and exploiting her child with his picture on the cover.. He is a child and should not be on the cover..
I don't know about "perverted" but I certainly wouldn't do this to my kid because I'd be worried about the labels that his peers would apply to him, how they would tease him, etc.

Alas, people name their kid "Pilot Inspector" - and I wouldn't do that, either.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:55 AM

62,952 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Exactly. The TIME cover annoys me, not for the image which does seem to be intentionally provocative, but because of two pieces of fallout: 1) stoking the flames of the mommy wars ("Are You Mom Enough?") and 2) giving ammunition to the folks who have a problem with nursing in public, no matter how discreetly. It just seems so pointless to me to have parents constantly at each others' throats because another parent chooses to do what works for his/her own family - there is no "one way" to raise a healthy family. And I have no patience for the anti-breastfeeding crowd. MYOB.
Why would someone think that anyone is anti-breastfeeding just because they don't want to see it on the cover of a magazine with a 3 year old standing on a chair doing it? Kind of a stretch, isn't it? Yes, I have the option of not looking at the magazine cover but since the picture was already published under this topic it's kind of late for that, isn't it? Kids will see it in the store also. I just think it is inappropriate for a magazine cover.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
You have zero understanding about capitalism. ZERO.

If Time's goal was to get publicity, they'll never pull themselves out of the sewer they're in. What are they? Down to a couple dozen pages per issue?

Their goal is to make money. You know............sell magazines.

FAIL!

I couldn't care less what they stick on their cover. The only time I might read that rag is in a waiting room. And I couldn't tell you the last time I saw a hillbilly breastfeeding in public, so it's a non issue for me.
Hm, I would bet you that I've done significantly better than you with the concepts and realities of capitalism. Or perhaps you, too, managed to retire at the age of 25 from the fruits of your understanding of Capitalism? See? I thought you didn't!

As you said, the point is to make money. And you make money by selling magazines. And in order to sell magazines, people must be aware of its existence. And you ensure that people know it's out there by advertising. And controversy ALWAYS draws a crowd - or do you see a threat dedicated to the cover of National Geographic? And to maximize your gain, you want to minimize your expenditure. And the buzz generated by controversy is priceless.

Capitalism also means that those who are offended can opt not to purchase the magazine. I have a distinct feeling that the buzz created by this cover generates enough sales to off-set the loss generated by a few prudes.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:56 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
I don't care. If you want to breastfeed your 45-year old husband - then that's your business, not mine. I'd still think it odd and I'd never do it, but again, it's not my business.

I know, I am morally depraved to be so accepting of others. To each their own - it makes life a whole lot easier since I don't have to be constantly offended, upset, and angry at everyone who doesn't do things the way I think they ought to be done.
Yes, and put it on the front of a magazine and it is fine. That is the sad part. No one really cares what they put on a magazine these days for all to see.

I know Time magazine is put into doctors offices and lawyers offices and dentist offiices etc.. so if you kid sees it so what.

Maybe some decent souls will NOT put this rag on their tables in the waiting offices.. maybe some may cancel their prescription.. I hope there are decent folk still out there and think of the young minds instead of who cares , it doesn't affect my life .

Old 05-11-2012, 10:57 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I don't care how long a person breast feeds their child but I do find the picture to be in bad taste for the mother to be exploiting herself and her child for monitory gains and publicity.
How do you know Time paid her?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies