Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2012, 05:41 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
ummm... just because WHO recomends it doesn't mean the individual doctors do. I know many many women who are constantly being harrased by their doctors because they are still breastfeeding after 6 months. Most doctors do not recommend it past 6 months, generally because they can't define how much food/milk/nutrients the child is actually getting.

Doctors should be knowledgeable about long term breastfeeding, but really they shouldn't push women either way. They should be supportive of which ever way the woman feels is best for her and her baby, period.
Remember, doctors are practicing......on the patient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 06:23 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
It didn't make me cringe.
It saddens me that this creates more controversy than the ease with which we send our youth off to wars of questionable purpose.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:23 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,256,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post

"In the first place, consider the details pertaining to chronology. Sarah gave birth to Isaac when she was 90 years old (Genesis 17:17).
Yikes! And I thought I was pushing it having my last one at 41 (almost)!

Old 05-11-2012, 07:10 PM

1,187 posts, read 995,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
There should be limits and common sense reigns and many don't have any. Do you think everyone has good insight or discernment?
No, obviously no everyone has good insight or judgement, otherwise we wouldn't have abused and neglected children... however, there shouldn't be limits to the point that YOUR sensitivities hinder someone else's family life. How would you like it if someone told you how you were raising your children was wrong or disgusting? How you feed them, how you dress them, how you love them? You wouldn't like it one bit!

Old 05-11-2012, 07:14 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
you want to see something even more cringe-worthy?:

Too BiG To WeaN... | ZeroHedge

Old 05-11-2012, 08:42 PM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
No, obviously no everyone has good insight or judgement, otherwise we wouldn't have abused and neglected children... however, there shouldn't be limits to the point that YOUR sensitivities hinder someone else's family life. How would you like it if someone told you how you were raising your children was wrong or disgusting? How you feed them, how you dress them, how you love them? You wouldn't like it one bit!
This topic is about a picture of a woman breastfeeding a nearly 4 year old on the cover of a major magazine. I understand the objection to it. That should be a private matter whether it be an infant being nursed or a 4 year old and not put on display on the cover of a magazine.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:06 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
This topic is about a picture of a woman breastfeeding a nearly 4 year old on the cover of a major magazine. I understand the objection to it. That should be a private matter whether it be an infant being nursed or a 4 year old and not put on display on the cover of a magazine.
We put babies and toddlers on display all the time. But when they are doing the most natural thing they can do, nurse, suddenly that is shameful and belongs behind closed doors?

I understand why this mother used this venue to make her point. She is trying to make it easier and more accepted for parents to make differing choices than the norm. While I am not a fan of much of the attachment parenting dogma, I completely support this woman's right to be proud of her family and their choices.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:28 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
Quote:
You assume alot. I would not nor have I done that. I just don't like the fact that this is on a magazine cover. Some may follow this suggestion and start feeding their kids in the stores and I bet some people will think it quite normal. Tell me, would you do this to your child? Put him on a cover of Time suckling you?

I feel for the child, not the mother. She should have never let this ragazine print it.

If I saw someone feeding their child in their home.. I would say nothing. Nothing. it is not for me to say anything. But if the woman was to bring her child into my home and with my children present and do what she did on this cover , I would tell her to leave in a polite manner or do this privately, and if she was angered that is her problem.

If a person respects my rights I will respect theirs.

I stand my ground on what I believe but I also do not look for an argument.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:44 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
You assume alot. I would not nor have I done that. I just don't like the fact that this is on a magazine cover. Some may follow this suggestion and start feeding their kids in the stores and I bet some people will think it quite normal. Tell me, would you do this to your child? Put him on a cover of Time suckling you?

I feel for the child, not the mother. She should have never let this ragazine print it.

If I saw someone feeding their child in their home.. I would say nothing. Nothing. it is not for me to say anything. But if the woman was to bring her child into my home and with my children present and do what she did on this cover , I would tell her to leave in a polite manner or do this privately, and if she was angered that is her problem.

If a person respects my rights I will respect theirs.

I stand my ground on what I believe but I also do not look for an argument.
But the woman isn't in your home. She is in a public venue, the news stand, if she was breastfeeding her child in public would you still expect to be able to tell her politely or otherwise to stop?

Old 05-11-2012, 10:00 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
But the woman isn't in your home. She is in a public venue, the news stand, if she was breastfeeding her child in public would you still expect to be able to tell her politely or otherwise to stop?
the topic is the front of Time magazine.. hey, If a woman did this in front of me, I would think she is weird and leave it like that.. no confrontation. I ignore.

It is another thing to display your child in such a pose to be seen all over the country.. the woman is insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies