Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 01:50 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,909,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
You need to look up the definition of "tax loophole". Tax loopholes are certainly not available to everyone evenly. Mainly the rich use lawyers, and off shore corporations, on paper only, to skirt the spirit and letter of tax law. They find flaws in tax codes, totally unintentional by the legislation, and exploit them, to get out of paying taxes.
Like the loophole that only the rich can buy yachts? Or is it that I just haven't hit an income level that allows me to purchase that product (yacht) or service (sleazy tax lawyers).

Why didn't the current regime close these loopholes when they had both houses of Congress and the Presidency? If they are so bad, it should have passed with ease even with GOP resistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 01:58 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,972,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Like the loophole that only the rich can buy yachts? Or is it that I just haven't hit an income level that allows me to purchase that product (yacht) or service (sleazy tax lawyers).

Why didn't the current regime close these loopholes when they had both houses of Congress and the Presidency? If they are so bad, it should have passed with ease even with GOP resistance.
Your definition of is something is "not bad" is if politicians in DC allow the practice?

That means by your standards. Everything going on today in government is "good"? Otherwise, our wise politicians would have chosen to change or enforce existing law?

Don't bother with a discussion with me, I take your views are way too extreme and radical to be taken seriously.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:06 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,821,768 times
Quote:
Your definition of is something is "not bad" is if politicians in DC allow the practice?

That means by your standards. Everything going on today in government is "good"? Otherwise, our wise politicians would have chosen to change or enforce existing law?

Don't bother with a discussion with me, I take your views are way too extreme and radical to be taken seriously.
They may seem extreme to you, but I believe that they are the mainstream. Haven't you ever noticed that the ghettos are filled with "good" people?

Old 05-11-2012, 02:39 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,909,291 times
Quote:
Actually, far from the truth. I don't agree with a lot of things that politicians allow.

It's your use of the word "loophole" that gives it a negative connotation. Just as the anti-gun crowd uses the "gun show loophole" phrase all of the time. In most states, face to face sales of guns are legal with no background check. If you don't agree with it, try to change it.

Back on topic - This is Mr. Saverin's money and he should do what he wants with it. He earned it.

Quote:
Wise and politician haven't gone together in a long time.

Quote:
Because they are polar opposite of yours? I took the time to address your positions.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:00 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times
Quote:
You need to look up the definition of "tax loophole". Tax loopholes are certainly not available to everyone evenly. Mainly the rich use lawyers, and off shore corporations, on paper only, to skirt the spirit and letter of tax law. They find flaws in tax codes, totally unintentional by the legislation, and exploit them, to get out of paying taxes.
Further proof of liberal incompetence and the superior intellect of the Right.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:36 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
oh please

its the LAW not a 'loophole'

fact our system ALLOWS writeoffs for many, many things...and many are because of TAXES PAID ELSEWHERE, too include in other countries

like for example we "write-off" a standard deduction...or you can ITEMIZE

I pay nearly 20% of my GROSS in property taxes...yep my little 1500sf 100yr old house on a tiny 60x100 piece of property...the taxes are nearly 12,000 a year..that's 20% of my gross of 60k....and because I do PAY those taxes. I can write it off my federal side...and my big medical bills...another write-off

every write-off a rich guy can take..so acn a poor guy....many of the write-offs a poor person CAn take, the rich guy cant (the child credit, medical credit, education credit, and retiremenmt credit all phase out at 180k

but liberals only want to find their boogyman..the evil rich guy, so the can DISCRIMINATE against him and get more taxes for the takers

Last edited by workingclasshero; 05-11-2012 at 08:46 PM..

Old 05-11-2012, 11:20 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
I don't blame hime him.

He just escaped Obama's class warfare.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:21 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Facebook Co-Founder Saverin Gives Up U.S. Citizenship Before IPO - Bloomberg

Sounds like another Buffet liberal...promote higher taxes for everyone else, but dodges them himself. How typical.
Can't blame him...don't blame him...

Old 05-12-2012, 01:45 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
They most certainly ARE available to everyone evenly. If you don't qualify, it's your fault. You could start by getting a job or starting a business instead of posting on forums all day long. Not too many tax loopholes for that.
I don't suppose you know the definition of irony...

Old 05-12-2012, 02:15 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,129,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Facebook Co-Founder Saverin Gives Up U.S. Citizenship Before IPO - Bloomberg

Sounds like another Buffet liberal...promote higher taxes for everyone else, but dodges them himself. How typical.
I don't know if you checked but Saverin is a Republican...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies