Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 06:19 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,237,274 times

Advertisements

No really. I'm not making this up, folks. Mitt really did say he deserved a lot of credit for saving Detroit. Seriously, I'm not taking quotes out of context either. It's all right here:

Quote:
“I pushed the idea of a managed bankruptcy, and finally when that was done and help was given, the companies got back on their feet, so I’ll take a lot of credit for the fact that this industry’s come back,” Romney told WEWS.

Romney Takes Credit for Auto Industry Turnaround, Reignites Bailout Debate - ABC News

Which of course, even if Romney had the right idea at the time (he didn't); taking credit for the auto industry's come back is like me taking credit for the Thunder's victory over the Lakers because I also thought that Kevin Durrant should pressure the ball and overplay the passing lane.

Come to think of it, if writing an op-ed piece entitles a person to credit if just one item in that piece is adopted by the people actually doing the work, then I'd have to be given just as much credit as Mitt; since I've written that a bail out would work.

Naturally, many people in Detroit is not amused. The Detroit Free Press blasted the Mittster:

Quote:
Is the presumptive GOP nominee delusional? Or is he simply too dishonest to acknowledge that Detroit's survival was assured only after the Obama administration combined the massive injection of federal aid Romney opposed and the managed bankruptcy he favored?

http://www.freep.com/article/2012050...s|text|Opinion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 07:09 PM

30,261 posts, read 23,746,924 times
As I've been saying, he's no better than St. Hope and Change. There should have been NO bailouts!

Old 05-17-2012, 07:18 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Liberals never afraid to put their ignorance on display.

A managed bankruptcy is not a bailout

Old 05-18-2012, 08:35 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,389,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Liberals never afraid to put their ignorance on display.

A managed bankruptcy is not a bailout
Yes but, Romney is talking about the managed bankruptcy as if the bailouts (which came first, and which he OPPOSED in the infamous "Let 'um go bankrupt" NYT op-Ed) never happened.

When cornered, he'll STILL admit he was opposed to the bailouts (which WORKED, BTW). But it takes a skilled reporter to pin him down.

Once again, the GOP is the Party of Amnesia, relying on short memories and obfuscation to try to wheedle their way back into power.

Romney is a LIAR.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Yes but, Romney is talking about the managed bankruptcy as if the bailouts (which came first, and which he OPPOSED in the infamous "Let 'um go bankrupt" NYT op-Ed) never happened.

When cornered, he'll STILL admit he was opposed to the bailouts (which WORKED, BTW). But it takes a skilled reporter to pin him down.

Once again, the GOP is the Party of Amnesia, relying on short memories and obfuscation to try to wheedle their way back into power.

Romney is a LIAR.
Everyone was talking about a managed bankruptcy, thats what should have happened, and what ended up happening.

But it was Bush that bailed out the auto industry, not Obama, so dont talk to me about who's got amnesia.

Furthermore, the BANKRUPTCY worked, not the bailouts. You like the OP, can go sit in the corner for not knowing the difference.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:21 AM

756 posts, read 714,603 times
Yeah, beb0p, we're still laughing at the $buffoon for trying to take credit for the auto industry's impressive comeback.

http://www.npr.org/2012/05/11/152519027/romney-shifts-gears-on-auto-industry-bailout

Old 05-18-2012, 09:26 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,585,553 times
Wink Isn't Romney that guy they call the flip-flopper?

Makes sense.

He was against the bailout. Now he claims credit.

Pubs: get over it. He's a businessman. He'll say anything to close a deal.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader8 View Post
Yeah, beb0p, we're still laughing at the $buffoon for trying to take credit for the auto industry's impressive comeback.

http://www.npr.org/2012/05/11/152519027/romney-shifts-gears-on-auto-industry-bailout
And I'm still laughing at people for posting links which actually say your wrong.

It's true that in his 2008 editorial, Romney suggested the idea of a managed bankruptcy.

"What he conveniently forgets is that there was zero liquidity in the country," Lutz says.

Funny, Ford found liquidity..

Old 05-18-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Makes sense.

He was against the bailout. Now he claims credit.

Pubs: get over it. He's a businessman. He'll say anything to close a deal.

He was against the bailout, and takes credit for the managed bankruptcy, their not even close to the same thing

Old 05-18-2012, 09:31 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,693,567 times
Mitt Romney Award - Best impression of a flounder.

A conversation with Mitt.
"I didn't do it unless it worked out. BTW, how did it work out? If it was OK or good then I did it.
If it worked out bad then I had nothing to do with it."

Mitt Romeny has the perfect plan, but if that doesn't work out he has an ironclad alibi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies