Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 05:34 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,180,731 times

Advertisements

How come it's okay to show extreme graphic violence on TV, but not a woman breastfeeding? How come rape is considered a more serious crime than murder? How come violence is glorified when it's for a just cause, but sex is seen as a necessarily evil, that everyone actually enjoys but pretends to hate?

Old 05-20-2012, 10:13 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Graphic violence gets boys ready for the war machine.

In Canada excessive violence gets censored. In the U.S. excessive sex gets censored.

Which country is involved in more wars and seen as aggressive by citizens of other countries.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:48 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,554,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
How come it's okay to show extreme graphic violence on TV, but not a woman breastfeeding? How come rape is considered a more serious crime than murder? How come violence is glorified when it's for a just cause, but sex is seen as a necessarily evil, that everyone actually enjoys but pretends to hate?
Good questions.

The first question to me it has to do with contradicting cultural views. At the expense of getting a lot of hits I will say that there are women that may feel guilty if they do not breastfeed for whatever reason.

On the second one even though rape is such a horrible crime murder is taking someone's life and to me it is worse. I suppose rape may get higher attention because more people push for laws against it. In other words the squeaky gear gets the grease.

The last one to me is a loaded one. I suppose that violence may be glorified to some degree because there are enough people that do not feel justice is done often. Sex as a necessary evil? I missed that one. In what sex. I do not see sex as a necessary evil at all. The last part seems to explain it but I still do not make a connection. Why? Because I do believe it is enjoyable and I do not see it as being hated. I think what you mean is that maybe people enjoy it but want to be prudish about it to the point that it seems like it is hated.

I see sex in this way. Even thought there may be some atheists that jump to criticize because I mention God, for those that believe in God I read this somewhere. If I am correct it was Tertulian.
"Why be ashamed to talk about something God was not ashamed of creating?"

People do contradict themselves a lot regarding sex. Actually, to me instead of saying people enjoy it but hate it, I would say they are hypocritical about it.

To answer your OP title question, Sex is not worse than violence as far as I am concerned. Sex is a natural need/desire, violence usual result is harm as the intent. Take care.

Last edited by elamigo; 05-20-2012 at 11:03 AM..

Old 05-20-2012, 11:01 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,554,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Graphic violence gets boys ready for the war machine.

In Canada excessive violence gets censored. In the U.S. excessive sex gets censored.

Which country is involved in more wars and seen as aggressive by citizens of other countries.
On the first one it is not necessarily true. Can it influence violence, sure it can. But for war. Not true. History is full of countries all over the world that have gone to war since the dawn of time without the need to have graphic violence.

Canada censors violence. I am sure they do just as the US sex gets censored, both cases of suppresing freedom. I suppose each culture has their negatives.

The last question, good one. However, it is a fallacious one to me. History is also full of world powers trying to retain their status. Eventually, they will fall as such. Now, aggressive is a very subjective term to label the US. Seen as aggressive is due to perceptions that often are influenced by many factors. Example: Any press in the world will tend to picture a foreign competing country in a negative light. With this in mind it is expected for the competing countries to portray the US. as aggressive. Aggresive is not only with armed force. Aggressiveness can be displayed in numerous ways that may not be so clear as armed conflicts but can be just as damaging and even lead to wars.

From what I can see, every country runs using a political science principle I read a while ago:
Friendship binds men but national interests bind countries.

All nations will protect their interests in one way or another whether through pacts, alliances with stronger or weaker countries, economic treaties, military protection, etc. In the end every country will be aggressive to the degree they can to further and protect their interests. The US happened to be the most visible out there in protecting their interests because they are perhaps the most powerful at this point. Take care.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:20 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,246,172 times
For some reason, this which is worse than the other, reminds me of getting higher poker hands straight, which is a better hand, a full house or a straight?

But I wanted to say something about rape. Comparison is being made between censorship of sex and violence. Then the question was asked how come rape is considered worse than murder. This is asking if a sexual crime is worse than a violent crime. But I want everyone to understand something as A FACT: Rape is not a crime of sex; it is a crime of violence. All women know this, they have brought this into the courthouses across the nation, letting everyone know that rape is not a crime of sex. And this is proven by so many respectable studies all over the place, that shows rape is not sexual in any way; it is VIOLENCE. But because so many in the past have thought it was a sexual thing, must not be but so bad. But I'm a'telling y'all that rape is just shy of a hate crime, it is one of the most gruesome, horrific, wounding, act of aggression there is. And if there is any man here who is doubting this, other than looking all this up on the internet and seeing the laws and studies, I want you men to picture how would you describe it if you were in prison, and some other men overpowered you, and they raped you, and let's add on top of it raped you repeatedly, to where you were bleeding, broken, hurt, crying, and feared for your very life. Would you call that a sex crime or a violent crime? I rest my case. Thanks. I just wanted to get that straight, becuz it bothers me that there are STILL people who think rape is a sex crime. No. It is a violent crime.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:21 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,180,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigimac View Post
For some reason, this which is worse than the other, reminds me of getting higher poker hands straight, which is a better hand, a full house or a straight?

But I wanted to say something about rape. Comparison is being made between censorship of sex and violence. Then the question was asked how come rape is considered worse than murder. This is asking if a sexual crime is worse than a violent crime. But I want everyone to understand something as A FACT: Rape is not a crime of sex; it is a crime of violence. All women know this, they have brought this into the courthouses across the nation, letting everyone know that rape is not a crime of sex. And this is proven by so many respectable studies all over the place, that shows rape is not sexual in any way; it is VIOLENCE. But because so many in the past have thought it was a sexual thing, must not be but so bad. But I'm a'telling y'all that rape is just shy of a hate crime, it is one of the most gruesome, horrific, wounding, act of aggression there is. And if there is any man here who is doubting this, other than looking all this up on the internet and seeing the laws and studies, I want you men to picture how would you describe it if you were in prison, and some other men overpowered you, and they raped you, and let's add on top of it raped you repeatedly, to where you were bleeding, broken, hurt, crying, and feared for your very life. Would you call that a sex crime or a violent crime? I rest my case. Thanks. I just wanted to get that straight, becuz it bothers me that there are STILL people who think rape is a sex crime. No. It is a violent crime.
I disagree. Yes rape is violent, but I think it's a sex crime first and a violent crime second. Most rapes aren't intensely physically violent in nature. Also, I have heard that rape is one of the most common female sexual fantasies. Yes, obviously it is idealized and cleaned up in imagination, but to me it shows that there is something primal about the idea of domination/being dominated. IMO, rape is an extreme disrespect of someone's boundaries, and among the most hurtful things you can do to someone short of taking their life, but I do think it's more often than not, sexually motivated rather than being motivated out of hate.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:29 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
I disagree. Yes rape is violent, but I think it's a sex crime first and a violent crime second. Most rapes aren't intensely physically violent in nature. Also, I have heard that rape is one of the most common female sexual fantasies. Yes, obviously it is idealized and cleaned up in imagination, but to me it shows that there is something primal about the idea of domination/being dominated. IMO, rape is an extreme disrespect of someone's boundaries, and among the most hurtful things you can do to someone short of taking their life, but I do think it's more often than not, sexually motivated rather than being motivated out of hate.

Interesting points. Perhaps the ultimate act of violence is not respecting boundaries. Fantasies, IMO, often involve crossing boundaries, in a situation where BOTH parties are 100% aware its not their real persona, nor the persona they would actually wish to be like. Its no different than playing a role in a movie that is 100% against the grain of what one is like.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:33 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:

strange, I would not consider rape to be a sex crime at all, as it has nothing to do with the actual act itself, but in the violence and power that the rapists get from it.
also, I consider it that if you have never been raped before, then please think about what you say before you post on the subject.

white male
rape survivor
gangraped march 18, 1989 at 230am

the crime of rape against me on that day is still fresh within my mind, and will forever be there.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:48 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
A lot of European families living in the US or who have travelled here for tourism are asking this question. They're upset that graphic violence isn't included in the film ratings system, and is allowed for kids.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:50 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times
Quote:
Well, have someone forcibly rape you until you are a horrible mess, with a knife to your throat and come back and tell me which is worse? ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies